Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE System received and installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts
Default AWE System received and installed!!!

I received my AWE system (headers, cats and cans) on Monday and had it installed by midnight (started after dinner). Despite a few initial leaks (cat to can connection) it all fits in nicely. After a revisit yesterday I did end up needing to use copper silicon to seal the leaks, as the alignment and spacing between the cat and can on each side is not "AAA"..... now all seems good.

Sound is a mellow deeper tone and definitely more pronounced when "just" on the throttle. At full wail it definitely gets your attention.....but in a good way though!

As for increased HP, .....I guess my "Butt Dyno" is a little numb as I can't definitively swear it's made much of an increase, let alone the numbers claimed. Don't get me wrong there is an increase, however I will leave the conjecture of how much, to others with better tuned Butt Sensors!!

Bottom line, I like it and would do it again!

I give it 1 X

Attached Images     

Last edited by NVRANUF; 05-10-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I received my AWE system (headers, cats and cans) on Monday and had it installed by midnight (started after dinner). Despite a few initial leaks (cat to can connection) it all fits in nicely. After a revisit yesterday I did end up needing to use copper silicon to seal the leaks, as the alignment and spacing between the cat and can on each side is not "AAA"..... now all seems good.

Sound is a mellow deeper tone and definitely more pronounced when "just" on the throttle. At full wail it definitely gets your attention.....but in a good way though!

As for increased HP, .....I guess my "Butt Dyno" is a little numb as I can't definitively swear it's made much of an increase, let alone the numbers claimed. Don't get me wrong there is an increase, however I will leave the conjecture of how much, to others with better tuned Butt Sensors!!

Bottom line, I like it and would do it again!

I give it 1 X

Also keep in mind the DME is adjusting to the added airflow in and out of the engine.

Dave
Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave, that makes sense.

So I'm off for a couple hundred Km ride..... to get the DME and butt sensors readjusted

Hopefully that will show the improvement I read about, anxiously anticipated and paid for!!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it work well with the intake

Our cars are very similar, you have the complete AWE system and I the Fabspeed system. Would be nice to hear them side by side!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:12 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Hey Brad, the intake works great!!

Would be curious to hear them side by side for sure!

Originally Posted by cleanme
Does it work well with the intake

Our cars are very similar, you have the complete AWE system and I the Fabspeed system. Would be nice to hear them side by side!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I found there is a break-in period, so you are in for even more of a treat. When the engine / exhaust are cold, the sound is on the loud side. Once warm, it is really nice. At the track from 4k to redline, it's absolutely wonderful music
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Am contemplating the AWE system...what are your thoughts on it vs Fabspeed and Cargraphic who seem to be my major top three here.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:24 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

again with the fabspeed awe threads!

gotta love 'em i suppose
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oalvarez
again with the fabspeed awe threads!

gotta love 'em i suppose
Just a brief interlude from some equally repetitious FS and WTB threads that somehow get misplaced into the 997 forum.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:30 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Not liking the way those headers hang down like that. Not even the X51 headers do that.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Not liking the way those headers hang down like that. Not even the X51 headers do that.
That may be the case, but I'll tell you them hanging down has started many great conversations about the system. I've never seen it / noticed it (because I'm driving), but other guys have said "As you blew by me on the track I noticed those aftermarket headers... and the sound was AWEsome, what brand?..."
Old 05-11-2007, 02:53 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my AWE setup. I suggest you complete the package by getting the Evo intake and GIAC software upgrade. You will feel the gains for sure!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:17 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by synergy
I love my AWE setup. I suggest you complete the package by getting the Evo intake and GIAC software upgrade. You will feel the gains for sure!
I have the EVO intake
I don't want to void my warrantee by installing the GIAC

Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I've had bad experience with oiled filters, like the one that comes with the Evo. MAF problems... So I'm shying away. The X51 intake, however, looks great and provides much more airflow - so I'm researching putting that in. There was a thread that said the intake was $700 or something like that - not bad considering what goes into the X51 intake. At one point I think I saw a total price including labor and other parts of about $2000. That's a bunch more than Evo, but it's OEM, trick looking, uses paper filters, etc. (compare with $3k for the Champion part only).
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Usually damage comes when the filter gets been Re-oiled by the owner.......
That falls under operator error....
The X51 will need a new X51 engine lid that allows for the two breather tubes to do their job

Quick Reply: AWE System received and installed!!!