Sponsored by:

07 carrera 4 vs c2s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drmatara
I believe that is also true (filled brake) for a regular S with the Sport Chrono and the Sport Button activated.
Nope. Only on the C4/C4S/T4/T4S.

-B
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 AM
c4silver
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the inputs from you all are appreciated. the more i thinks about it, getting the 2s will be the way to go.
rarely do i drive in inclement weather but my commute does consist of winding mountain roads(grizzly peak in berkeley) every day but with relatively well paved roads and i do drive with care as alot of cyclists share the road . but from what i get from the replies is that for purist driving enjoyment a 2s will fit the bill aptly.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:31 AM
c4silver
8th Gear

bullet,
btw why would it (2s )sound better?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by c4silver
the inputs from you all are appreciated. the more i thinks about it, getting the 2s will be the way to go.
Plus you can easily equip your C2S with a spare thus making the car reliable.

The spare either won't fit or barely fits in the 4WD car.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:55 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Plus you can easily equip your C2S with a spare thus making the car reliable.

The spare either won't fit or barely fits in the 4WD car.
The space under the bonnet is definitely smaller in the C4S... no spare going in there.

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the lack of cred that the C4S gets but that variety of opinion is what the forum is about. Honestly, if I were choosing between a C4S or C2S for a bank robbery getaway car I'd take the C4S without hesitation. It is just going to be ALL 911 in feel and not oversteer as it burns the rubber off.

BTW, wouldn't "purist" 911 still be considered air-cooled, dry sumped, 2.7/3.0 liter?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I've owned 39 Porsches only 4 (3 turbos, and a Cayenne TT) were awd, I'd never buy another one. But then I never drive with anything traction controls on. I like to make the rear come out, I've been driving these cars like that for so long I would not know how to drive them any other way. No offence meant but if your not going to drive these cars like sports cars, why waste your money on buying one.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
c4silver
8th Gear

"the Turbo's electronic AWD unit in the near future, reducing the resale value of the C4. "

sales sez c4 has better resale than 2s based on more 2s's will be produced than c4.but ididnt know about the electronic awd switch happening soon.
still , choices are c4, right color(on the lot) or 2s (have to search for right color, not in the lot).
Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

When doing a little spirited driving this weekend my g/f assumed the car is a 4WD. No,--it's just a 2. What Porsche has done to the 997s is amazing without resorting to driving all four wheels.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 AM
stubenhocker
Racer

To each his own, but I chuckle when I read of all of these driving studs talk about how they "like to get the tail out" and then through their superior driving skill they like to snap it back under control. So where do you do this kind of cornering without attracting attention of police etc?
Personally I get thrills by handling corners and switchbacks without associated drama, that is the test of a fine handling automobile. If you want thrills take a 25mph turn at 30mph in your Buick. Much cheaper and a helluva lot more scary!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:50 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"the Turbo's electronic AWD unit in the near future, reducing the resale value of the C4. "

sales sez c4 has better resale than 2s based on more 2s's will be produced than c4.but ididnt know about the electronic awd switch happening soon.
still , choices are c4, right color(on the lot) or 2s (have to search for right color, not in the lot).
If those were my choices I would hunt for the C2S. I'd gotta have the big motor. In fact, I'd hunt for a slightly used C2S w/ a power kit while I was at it. My C4S is X51'd and at sea level it is simply EPIC.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:57 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I would not call myself a driving stud, (but thanks, been along time since anyone called me a stud) though with over 30 years of driving performance cars, I may have a bit more experience behind the wheel that most people here, and when I started driving these cars there was not such thing as traction controls, so you better know how to keep the car in line wirh your right foot or you were in trouble. I drive my 430 with the CST switch off, and my close to 600 hp M6 coupe with it off too. Maybe I just like the feeling on living on the edge, keeps me young.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

[QUOTE=stubenhocker]To each his own, but I chuckle when I read of all of these driving studs talk about how they "like to get the tail out" and then through their superior driving skill they like to snap it back under control. So where do you do this kind of cornering without attracting attention of police etc?
Personally I get thrills by handling corners and switchbacks without associated drama, that is the test of a fine handling automobile. If you want thrills take a 25mph turn at 30mph in your Buick. Much cheaper and a helluva lot more scary![/QUOTE I could not have said it better.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:06 PM
sdw999
Instructor

I drove all winter, literally, in sleet, ice, and snow with my C2S, and never got stuck, or for that matter, ever felt less confident with a RWD 911. If you like the looks of a wider 911, then go for the C4, or C4S, it really is personal preference. If you are in California, I wouldn't be too concerned with traction issues, since you are not likely too see much snow unless you live in the mountains. Unlike older generations of 911's, the traction control features of the 997 will help/save you in many driving situations, with the choice of turning it off with a simple button push if you so desire, or are on the race track, etc. I'm just a p-car novice, but I do not think anyone here on the "list" will argue that configuring your 911 is all about personal choice, and lucky for all of us, Porsche has a plethora of options to choose from. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Bullet
Instructor

bullet,
btw why would it (2s )sound better?
The M97 engine (3.8l engine in the 'S') has a specifically engineered exhaust note using a "Helmholtz" (or something like that . . . ) resonator. I don't really know what that means completely, but that engine really does sound better than the M96 (3.6l variant available in the C4).

-B
Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
To each his own, but I chuckle when I read of all of these driving studs talk about how they "like to get the tail out" and then through their superior driving skill they like to snap it back under control. So where do you do this kind of cornering without attracting attention of police etc?
Personally I get thrills by handling corners and switchbacks without associated drama, that is the test of a fine handling automobile. If you want thrills take a 25mph turn at 30mph in your Buick. Much cheaper and a helluva lot more scary!
I didn't make any of these comments, but I think the spirit they reflect is that a C2 is more likely to provide a sporty and spirited ride than a C4. There is no question that its easier to produce oversteer on a C2 than a C4 at speeds < 50 mph, especially on hard turns accelerating from a standstill. That's not enough to attract Police if you're careful about where you do it. More importantly though, a C2 is less likely to understeer or "push". Understeer has no fun or excitement, and is quite common considering the driving setup of a 911 (tonnes of traction over the rear wheels, relatively less so over the front wheels). Eliminating understeer in a 911 requires a lot of patience and smoothness with the gas pedal. One can be a little less smooth and a little less patient in a C2 than a C4, and that means a little more fun for most people.

-B

Quick Reply: 07 carrera 4 vs c2s?