Sponsored by:

Newbie intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie intro

I just wanted to say hi now that I've registered. I've been lurking around here for a while, and I like this forum the best of all the Porsche forums I've found.

No 911 in my garage right now... I bought a 1988 911 3.2 Carrera hartop (dark blue in and out, steel sunroof) in 2003, and wound up selling it a couple of years ago. Work was too busy for me to get much enjoyment out of it, and I really miss it now. The '87/'88 was really the peak of the old-style 911's, IMHO, with the injected 3.2, G50 box, and the real headlights. My DD now is a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser (which I think is the 911 of SUV's), and it's better suited to the snowy winters up here than the old 911 was.

My next one is going to be in 1-1.5 years (when I get a nice income boost at work). So it will be an '08 997 or possibly the new 998 when that comes along -- I want to wait and see what they bring along. If I wind up in the Pac NW, it will probably be a Cabrio (to enjoy the view of the mountains on clear days); in the midwest more likely a hardtop or targa. I've thought about looking for an '05 NSX instead, and trust that you guys will give me some (justifiably biased) reasons not to.

Anyway, I've loved 911's since I was about 3, and I'm counting the days until I get back into one. I've read the newbie sticky at the top; please let me know if there are other 'rules of the road' here; so far I've gotten that you guys pretty much drive like adults (not teenagers) and there's no swearing in the tech forums. In spite of my name, I really don't drive that fast. I'm more a fan of twisty roads and strong acceleration. Oh, and, of course, the flat-6 sound.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.

I bought an '04 996 C2 two years ago and really didn't know a lot about the 911 at that time, but I had always wanted to own one. After "finding" Rennlist just after I bought the car, I have really learned a lot about the 996 & 997 (more than I EVER thought I would know about these cars) during the last two years here on Rennlist.

Good luck with your progress to get another 911 and here's hoping you get one sooner than 1 to 1.5 years from now.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome dD/dt!

Tim - I'm in a quandary

Newbie, but no car to show pictures of......
Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
In spite of my name, I really don't drive that fast.
Welcome, Noob.

So based on your username, do you wish to be called Mr. Velocity?

If the 'D' in your name stands for distance, velocity is the first derivative of distance with respect to time.

Or does the D stand for something else?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

Welcome dD/dt. You know we already have a "DerivativesGuy." Are you related?
Please excuse the poor math puns.
Anyhow, welcome to what is undoubtedly the best p-car forum around.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Welcome, welcome! I was like you... I lurked around for the longest time, finally made my first post, and then eventually bought my 997.

I'm sure you will continue to like it here. Now push for that income boost at work!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Welcome, Noob.

So based on your username, do you wish to be called Mr. Velocity?

If the 'D' in your name stands for distance, velocity is the first derivative of distance with respect to time.

Or does the D stand for something else?
No, Sir Isaac (nice avatar, Ben), you've got it exactly right. The funny thing is, I figured out I'm in the right forum when I signed up for my username. I tried to get dV/dt (again, acceleration, to me, is more fun than just speed) but someone had already taken it. Seriously, what are the chances?

Mr. Velocity is fine, but something more informal (like 'Speed') is fine too, as is my real name (Alex).
Old 05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Welcome, welcome! I was like you... I lurked around for the longest time, finally made my first post, and then eventually bought my 997.

I'm sure you will continue to like it here. Now push for that income boost at work!
I wish I could speed up the clock! I finish residency in July 2008, thus the income boost. Even if I could afford it now (probably could given my wife's income) I'd probably wait. It's my graduation gift to myself.

Derivatives Guy and I aren't related (that I know of, maybe a distant cousin or something). Really, I understand financial derivatives like I understand women's clothing, which is to say, not much.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
No, Sir Isaac (nice avatar, Ben), you've got it exactly right. The funny thing is, I figured out I'm in the right forum when I signed up for my username. I tried to get dV/dt (again, acceleration, to me, is more fun than just speed) but someone had already taken it. Seriously, what are the chances?

Mr. Velocity is fine, but something more informal (like 'Speed') is fine too, as is my real name (Alex).
Thanks Alex.

Well then, we'll just drop all the formalities here and just call you Speed.....that's actually a pretty cool name to have. I like it.

Well, if you had tried the second derivative of distance with respect to time, don't know that it would have come through legibly enough:

d2D/dt2

...since it's not easy to use superscripts here.

But Speed is cool.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Einstein
Instructor

The ultimate math equation equation:

E=mc²
Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=dD/dt]It's my graduation gift to myself.

QUOTE]

We will all celebrate with you in 2008. Now go hit the books!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:23 PM
npp
Advanced

Welcome --
Some advice:
Finish residency, pass your boards, then get the 997s.
You won't be disappointed.

Daily Driver:
06 997s
14500 miles
silver/black
bose w/ cd changer
19" carrera classics
tip
power seats
navi
colored crests
Old 05-04-2007, 04:38 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How about 1+e^i*pi=0?

The coolest looking equations are those of Maxwell, but we can't draw vectors here...
Old 05-04-2007, 05:11 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by npp
Welcome --
Some advice:
Finish residency, pass your boards, then get the 997s.
You won't be disappointed.
I love delayed gratification, but I just can't wait that long. I've passed my written boards already but we have to be in practice for 2-4 years before we're eligible for the orals. For me that's 2010 or 2012, something like that. And I've already been at this residency thing for a while and watched all my classmates graduate.

Quick Reply: Newbie intro