Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how fast d'yall drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far.... 146mph up hill. An idiot in a Golf R32 (?) was on my *** at 85mph, I know the road and that there would be no cops....so I let rip and gout up to 146 before reaching other slower traffic. Of course the Golf shrank in my rear view mirror very quickly !!!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You asked us to tell you to grow up... So... Grow up!

This post goes to show why we Porsche drivers have a bad reputation... I don't know the circumstances that you drive 90, but I'll assume it's blowing by those doing 65-75 on the highway. And those you pass are thinking to themselves "What a Jerk... going to kill himself or worse somebody else..." You may feel in control, but when that deer jumps the guardrail and ends up in your path at 90, good luck. If you are going 70 it's not going to be that much better, but the difference in speed could mean avoiding an accident or braking in time. Consider that at 90 MPH you are traveling 132' in each second.

Want to really drive fast - like our cars were meant to be driven? Spend $200 (or so) and attend a PCA DE. There's nothing like going 130 down the main straight at LRP, threshold braking - heel/toe downshift - trail braking into Big Bend... And the uphill is a hoot - when the rear end of the car breaks loose when you go "airborne". How about flat out of turn 1, through the Esses, 145 down the back straight, and then hammer the brakes into the Bus Stop at Watkins Glen. Now that's what I call fun!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by RonCT

This post goes to show why we Porsche drivers have a bad reputation... I don't know the circumstances that you drive 90, but I'll assume it's blowing by those doing 65-75 on the highway. And those you pass are thinking to themselves "What a Jerk... going to kill himself or worse somebody else..." You may feel in control, but when that deer jumps the guardrail and ends up in your path at 90, good luck. If you are going 70 it's not going to be that much better, but the difference in speed could mean avoiding an accident or braking in time. Consider that at 90 MPH you are traveling 132' in each second.

Want to really drive fast - like our cars were meant to be driven? Spend $200 (or so) and attend a PCA DE. There's nothing like going 130 down the main straight at LRP, threshold braking - heel/toe downshift - trail braking into Big Bend... And the uphill is a hoot - when the rear end of the car breaks loose when you go "airborne". How about flat out of turn 1, through the Esses, 145 down the back straight, and then hammer the brakes into the Bus Stop at Watkins Glen. Now that's what I call fun!
i don't disagree-- hence, my post. used to bunch of scca events, will do DE events soon. but again, just to clarify, i'm not a road racer and i take extra precaution when other cars are around. i may be reckless with myself but not with others. anyway, ok, i'm gonna grow up today.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT

that sounds like so much fun, i want to do it!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Good points.....for the record my normal road speeds are much more in line with sensible driving. The one off 146mph was just that...a one off.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive found that with the 964 cab and now the 997TT that i actually average a slower speed then driving my SUV. Odd i know, maybe its that i know cops are looking for me to be speeding or that i want to spend more time in the 911 and enjoy the ride.

but like spiderv6 said, dont overdrive yourself, always consider yourself a basic driver, not the expert.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my other life I am 'the man' so I have to be more cautious than I would wish!

But we have a few relatively quiet freeways close by and I occasionally wander out and give it a blast; funnily enough, there's another guy lives a few blocks away with a Turbo and he does the same.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
In my other life I am 'the man' so I have to be more cautious than I would wish!
Damn Draxa, you had us fooled .... with your illegal lab experiments and all.

Who knew?!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

man, and i thought that would be offical, fully-sanctioned license to blow red lights, speed, and otherwise wreck havoc!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple have already mentioned it, but DEs really get the go-fast bug out of my system. I don't get my kicks driving 30 over on the street; I get my kicks trying to pare my laptimes at Sebring.

In the 997, in all seriousness, I'm rarely more than 10% over the limit. I used to have an F-150 that I often drove BELOW the limit. I'd just sit in the right lane, cruise, listen to the radio, kind of zone out.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
man, and i thought that would be offical, fully-sanctioned license to blow red lights, speed, and otherwise wreck havoc!
No, no, no, no....that would be a blue-lights-and-sirens 'man'.
I'm just a sitting-in-the-courtroom-sending-them-DOWN 'man'.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:31 PM
OCBen
Banned

Ohhhhhh . You're the man man....better known as

Da Judge
Old 05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Ohhhhhh . You're the man man....better known as

Da Judge

Well a magistrate actually.
(Cue sound of closet door creaking closed behind me.....)
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

ahh, ok, you mean you're the black-robe-wearing, bribe-accepting, love-to-yell-at-attorneys, sleeping-behind-the-bench, holier-than-Thou "man." cool. civil, crim, small claims, municipal?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Well a magistrate actually.
(Cue sound of closet door creaking closed behind me.....)
So you don a wig too, right?

Cool.

Quick Reply: how fast d'yall drive?