Sponsored by:

how fast d'yall drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how fast d'yall drive?

ok, i know, speeding can be reckless and dangerous, but i do consider myself a good driver, and while i can drive aggressive, it's the product of being very defensive minded, anticipating others, worst-case scenarios-- constantly surveying the landscape and anticpating scenarios (*knock on wood). further, unless i know the roads and know it's clear, i rarely speed on smaller roads since there's more chances of cars pulling out of driveways, etc. in fact, i can drive real slow in those circumstances.

that all being said, when driving on the hwy, i can't keep below 90mph. just can't do it. unable. without capacity. anyone else in the same boat? how fast do you drive? someone tell me i need to grow up
Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
...anyone else in the same boat?
Sure. I drive as fast as I can get away with. In the mornings I'm easily going 90 on my way in to work. I don't have a radar detector or any such device and don't feel the need for one. Others here may advise you to get one if you don't already have one. It's really up to you, if it makes you feel protected somewhat.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by OCBen
Sure. I drive as fast as I can get away with. In the mornings I'm easily going 90 on my way in to work. I don't have a radar detector or any such device and don't feel the need for one. Others here may advise you to get one if you don't already have one. It's really up to you, if it makes you feel protected somewhat.
i have V1, Lidatek, and relatively keen situational awareness. while getting busted is a concern, it's more of an issue whether i'm just immature or something-- driving so fast all the time. increased safety and relaxation, mpg . . . all things to strive for, no? guess for whatever reason, i'm feeling a bit guilty or self conscious about speeding all the time-- i've been like this my entire life (33yrs). is this normal or should i just shut up?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You have several years before you have to grow up. I began driving Porsches when I was 19 and was really putting them to use then,--before last summer in Europe with this 997 (180 mph) I never had been over 162. (That's a different story). But as I grew up I realized that I didn't have to go everywhere fast, and a greater part of the enjoyment is the ride itself. It was another reason why I bought a cabriolet,--to slow myself down. As a result, I rarely speed because it merely gives the authorities the excuse to mess with you. Why bother? Our roads are becoming much more congested and many of the other OLDER drivers are just not ready for some young whipper-snapper to come up on their right quickly and cut them off. We need to be excellent drivers, setting an example to others. Just because you have a highly capable car, doesn't mean that you HAVE to exploit it. Exercise some self control. Demonstrate to all the Ricers out there that you don't have to compete in some silly game of boulevard racing. The greatest worth is to KNOW you can go 180 but you don't have to.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:33 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I once reached 102mph but that was the only time. I pretty much stay under 75 (so the rear wing won't pop up).
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 PM
fatman
AutoX

yeah i'll have to agree with dan on that one. i'm not that old either 28. i use to have some moderate sports cars growing up through high school. i would speed everywhere and damn near always get a ticket if i couldn't talk myself out of one. it would seem like every saturday i was at a defensive driving class. the last few years i been driving this ford ranger pickup 4 banger on 20 inch wheels, i do 0-60 in two or three minutes and lucky if i can hit 80mph. always getting cut off or having to slow down to get over in another lane, terrible man. one of the reasons why i went for wanting to order the 911 was i want performance and handling to drive around those bad drivers. once i get it, i'll do the same thing this gentleman did to me once. i was at a light and reved my engine at his man in a 911, he just looked over and started laughing. that being said as well i'm going to try to save the speed for the track. i say that now.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:11 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanting to go fast in a Porsche is as natural as wanting a cake in a pastry shop so there is definitely nothing wrong with that urge regardless of the age. Now going above the speed limit more than 10mph is not a good idea because fines, points, insurance rates, legal fees, property and tissue damages, etc. It's just not worth it. The best way to satisfy you need for speed is to attend DE events with your local porsche club. You will enjoy it a lot more in a safe environment without looking back in the mirror for police car all the time.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by malammik
Wanting to go fast in a Porsche is as natural as wanting a cake in a pastry shop so there is definitely nothing wrong with that urge regardless of the age. Now going above the speed limit more than 10mph is not a good idea because fines, points, insurance rates, legal fees, property and tissue damages, etc. It's just not worth it. The best way to satisfy you need for speed is to attend DE events with your local porsche club. You will enjoy it a lot more in a safe environment without looking back in the mirror for police car all the time.
it ain't the need for speed or specific to the p-car. i speed in all my cars, including rentals. i just speed in general. for whatever reason, i can't drive slow, can't do the speed limit, and feel i'd rather get where i'm going quicker. i guess i'm looking for some free therapy here. it just so happens that my propensities are more facilitated in my 911.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

it ain't the need for speed or specific to the p-car. i speed in all my cars, including rentals. i just speed in general. for whatever reason, i can't drive slow, can't do the speed limit, and feel i'd rather get where i'm going quicker.
"One foot on the brake and one on the gas, hey!
Well, there's too much traffic, I can't pass, no!
So I tried my best illegal move
A big black and white come and crushed my groove again!

Go on & write me up for 125
Post my face, wanted dead or alive
Take my license n' all that jive
I can't drive...........55!!!"

Sammy Hagar
Old 05-01-2007, 01:44 PM
sdw999
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
"One foot on the brake and one on the gas, hey!
Well, there's too much traffic, I can't pass, no!
So I tried my best illegal move
A big black and white come and crushed my groove again!

Go on & write me up for 125
Post my face, wanted dead or alive
Take my license n' all that jive
I can't drive...........55!!!"

Sammy Hagar
Heh Heh, just don't hit the Cabo when you're speeding. I rarely take my 911 past 100mph simply because I am in the city and do not get out on the tollway too much. I figure these cars are designed to be driven fast and as long as we do it safely, why not?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

i do believe that with a little self discipline that you would be able to keep it in check a bit more often. the risk/return just isn't there for me personally. i agree with Edgy, it's all about the ride now.

you can do it.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

ok, i know, speeding can be reckless and dangerous, but i do consider myself a good driver
Hey, it's an unusual day that my wing isn't activated. Enough said.

However, that part of your statement up there is way way more dangerous than driving fast. That's what will eventually get you into trouble IMHO.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never found speeding really got me to my destination much quicker and I drove fast for the adrenaline rush. After I discovered Track events (DEs) and then road racing, there was no longer any justification or satisfaction from speeding on the roadways. Maybe I'm just getting older (and hopefully wiser).
Old 05-01-2007, 03:08 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never speed... are you listening State Farm!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

i guess you guys are saying what i was thinking . . . but i don't think i can force myself to mellow out. only with age or, worse, a bad experience?
spiderv6, you are correct, it's exactly that attitude which'll get me into trouble. a little antecdote: i was driving on the merritt pkwy in ct, a twisty 2 lane where people often drive 70-90. i was behind a van when all of a sudden, i saw deer carcass in the road, then 2 separate cars doing 360's in front of me, one of them finally ended in the trees. apparently, the one guy tried to swerve to avoid the already-dead deer, clipped the other driving, sending him outt control. that was the first time i felt that no matter how good you are, you can't account for other drivers out there. i actually drove a bit more defensive and slow after that-- for about a week. small note: i am by no means a reckless driver, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating (much), driving 100mph, racing other cars.

Quick Reply: how fast d'yall drive?