Sponsored by:

Windshield Stone Chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Steen Jensen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Stone Chip

I've only had my 05 997 for a couple of weeks and last night while driving down the Deerfoot I hear the awful sound of a stone bouncing off the windshield. Held my breath and looked to my right and sure enough a star shaped crack about 3/8" dia.

Anyone know how to best handle this before it propagates into a lengthy crack?

I know there are commercial outfits that have some sort of process. Anyone tried it?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, first how big is it? Less than dime size you might get it repaired but depending on how bad it is you may want to contact your insurance comapny and just get a new windshield, depending on your claim history. Note IMHO and without a picture it is hard to say.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dealer probably can refer you to a windshield repair place in your city.

THey do a great job and most insurance companies will pay for the repair as it is cheaper than replacing windshield.

Please let us know of the outcome!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Steen Jensen
Instructor

Just returned from the windshield shop.

First , they take a dremel tool and drill in the centre of the star crack.
They clamp a device to the windshield with a vacumn cup that holds some sort of resin. Then they get inside the car and heat the W/S right below the crack. As it cools it sucks the resin into the crack. Then they put ultaviolet light on it for a few minutes to cure the resin.

Looks much better as it filled in the spider cracks but you can still see the little chip where the rock hit. The main thing is it should prevent the damage from propagating into a full fledged crack.

Not bad for 20 minutes and 20 bucks!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:21 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a similar situation happen to me. Danbury Porsche did a similar injection technique that Steen described. A resin is injested into the crack and I'll tell you it looks great. Better than replacing the entire windshield, because someday you'll get another stone to hit you. It's inevitable the way these cars ride so low. For the price the repair works very well. If you don't like it you can always replace your windshield in the future.
Jay
Old 04-28-2007, 01:43 AM
malammik
Racer

Sorry to hi jack your thread. Is there a rule of thumb of some sort at which the windshield is beyond repair. 1in, 2in?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

I know that for the resin process described above, the rule of thumb is "if you can cover it with a dollar bill", they can usually repair it. Larger than that, for a straight line crack anyway, they generally won't even try.

The other disqualifier is if the crack (even if smaller than the dollar) extends all the way to the edge of the windshield. That usually requires a full replacement as well.

How do I know: Been there and done that and had to have the whole windshield replaced -- about $800 of which my comprehensive covered the last $550. This was when my 2006 997 C2 cab had all of about 3000 miles. I have a 12 year old Acura with 120K miles on it that is yet to have a crack -- go figure.

Kevin
Old 04-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You're far better with such a repair than a w/s replacement this early. From my experience it's tough to find people outside of Zuffenhausen for fitting some windshields.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You're far better with such a repair than a w/s replacement this early. From my experience it's tough to find people outside of Zuffenhausen for fitting some windshields.
I had a w/s replaced on my 05 C2S at Ray Catena (don't know who they use) and it was perfect.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 AM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Another reason that they will replace the windshield as opposed to repairing it is if you have a double puncture where the two holes communicate and cannot be covered by thier vacuum set-up. Don't even ask why I know this.

Jerry
Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 AM
rmklaw
Instructor

Same thing happened to me. Decided to give a try at the repair. It cost me $40.00 and unless you know where it was, you can't see the repair.

Quick Reply: Windshield Stone Chip