Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might've ruined my seat. Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 AM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I might've ruined my seat. Help!!!

I was doing autox this sunday. The weather could not be worse. Cold, windy, non-stop pouring rain. I was working the first head and running the second. To stay dry and warm, I put on my skiing outfit. When I came back to my car I was completely soaked so I changed my upper clothes, shoes and socks but rolled up the ski pants and kept them on and those pants were very wet on the outside. I blasted the heat and turned on seat heat to full mode - 2 lights.
Today I noticed that there is about 6'' round area on the seath where the leather is not tight against the seat but rather looks like there is an air bubble underneath it - it streched, got loose, etc. Upon closer inspection the leather in that area has visible minute bends and feels "cardboardy" and dry.

I applied quite a bit of leather conditioner to try to soften up the leather but that's pretty much all I could think of. I am hoping the leather will get soft and tighten itself. What do you guys think? Any remedies that come to mind?

I have regular leather seats, not supple leather.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I would think that it will get soft with proper conditioning as it gets rehydrated, although wont be 100%. The fact that it has come lose could be fixed by an upholsteror.
Having said that, if the dealer sells the upholstery in parts (lower seat, upper seat) order a part for the lower seat and change it... Or go to a pro leather shop see if they can match the color, although I believe that the non supple leather seats have small perforation holes in the leater (at least mine do), and that would be difficult to match, so I would go original equipment...

Good luck. I know it will most likely be a costly mistake, but we always learn from them I guess...
Next time pack towels!
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (04-27-2021)
Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Assuming you have a decent relationship with your dealer, just show them the seat. You don't need to provide every minute detail, just ask them if that is normal wear, or if it can be repaired. A seat swap, or even a seat cover swap, can be done in a few hours.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just guessing but try re-wetting the leather and drying it again by using a small fan overnight. Keep doing this until you're convinced the leather isn't shrinking back. I hate to say it but the leather conditioner might have lessened your chances of this working. Maybe it's a matter of time. Oak floor in kitchen got soaked and expanded/warped, two months (or more) later it was back to normal; over the first few weeks it looked hopeless. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:00 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Assuming you have a decent relationship with your dealer, just show them the seat. You don't need to provide every minute detail, just ask them if that is normal wear, or if it can be repaired. A seat swap, or even a seat cover swap, can be done in a few hours.
I think so too wount hurt to try....good luck
Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't touch it, not even try leather conditioner. To me, a seat isn't supposed to do that - it's defective. I've had seats cold, wet, dry, etc. and no issues.

Take it to the dealer and just point to it and say "what's up with the leather???" If he asks if it got wet, admit that it was pouring and everything got wet, but seats aren't supposed to get ruined if they get wet.

I think the more you do to the seat to try to fix it on your own, the less likely the dealer will repair or replace it....
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

It's the spot where you were sitting? My God, what the hell did you eat?

I'm with Ron,....I think this should be warrantied....just don't go into details about how it happened.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 PM
rfedele
Racer

warranty item!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will stop by the dealer tomorrow and see what he says. Will provide an update. Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree - take it to the dealer and ask them what is up with the seat. If they say it got "excessive wet" just reply back "yea - it might have been raining when I opened the door to get in and my pants might have been wet - so what?

"What's up with my seat"?

Quick Reply: I might've ruined my seat. Help!!!