Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Griot's Garage .....your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Griot's Garage .....your opinion?

I posted this here given the number of detailing enthusiasts and the like who spend time here. I should also preface that by saying that i've done multiple searches using Griot's, Griots, Griot with minimal success in terms of the information that i'm after. What prompts the thread is that I recently received a mailing of theirs and was absolutely impressed by the organization of the magazine, product layout, and provided information. Their website I have found to be of the same professional caliber. I am puzzled in that I have not found more of you on this website as users of their products. Personally, I started ordering my products at autopia-carcare.com and have done so exclusiviely as a result of some of your suggestions. Having said that, I liked what i saw and have a few questions:

-are their product offerings more marketing than substance?
-are their products inferior to those found elsewhere?
-is it a function of price that drive some of you to use different products?
-are their products rebranded or do they have exclusive patents on them(excluding the obvious, i.e., rotary/orbitals, bigger ticket items)?

I'm a bit surprised is all as to the low use of Griot's products when searching throughout the Rennlist Forums. One "Griot's Garage" search yielded a result dating back to 2002-2003 as further proof with the same kind of question than mine but whose responses were lackluster at best. Anyhow, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.

Why don't more of you use their products?

regards
Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 AM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think their waxes and polishes are great but some of their products are chaeply made crap. Ive sent back 3 (three) brake bleeders in search of one that wont break.

Flash
Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Bigwave
Instructor

I use the speed shine and the leather care they work well. I did not like their wax, to hard to put on and off. Also the micro fiber wax removal towels that are orange work great as well as their micro fiber drying towel with pockets for your hands. So far their the best I've used and work great on windows.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:56 AM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Usually their products are their own private labeled by the 'name brand' mfgrs. I know that some of their car covers are made by Covercraft for example. In gereral I have had good luck with some of their detailing products....GR
Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

their best of show wax needs orbitals. if you do it by hand, it's very tough.

i like their 100% cotton towel, white microfiber (the yellow one doesn't work for me, i am not referring the the color, it doesn't get the wax off the same way the white microfiber cloth does), speed shine, spray on wax and clay.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like their Best of Show and use it for my other cars, even without an orbital - I don't find it that hard to use. For the P-car, however, only Zaino products will do!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used them sporadically over the years...microfiber towels, collapsable lug wrench, portable air compressor. Speed Shine giveaway was nothing special. Great catalogue/average products-prices.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:56 AM
wetstuff
Pro

I think Girot is stuck in the second wave ..when their more advanced prospects are already riding the the third wave of marketing. The first wave was your local Auto Parts store with a shelf full of Turtle Wax.

The third wave, as I see it, allows us to refine our choices and direct-source anything. Who needs a catalog re-packager when you can ask a couple of thousand new friends with common interests for a recommendation for the best-of-anything. This allows small companies to bloom on their merit - not the size of their mailing list. Zaino and Jeffs Werkstatt come to mind in this context...

Hell, I finally threw out the 5,000 pages of the Thomas Register, an industrial sourcing catalog. Why would I need that when I can find the origins of stainless castings in China ..sheepskins in S. America, etc. within 24 hours...

People like my wife will continue to do catalogs because they're easy. She's made the decision to not be very resourceful. ..unless it comes to the Three C's (carat, cut, clarity...)
Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I really like sifting through their catalog....it's a MANLY thing to do!
My favorite products that they make are 1) the sheepskin wash mitt with removable rubber glove liner 2) wheel cleaner (makes them look new) and 3) the giant wash buckets (see my DIY Mobile Car Wash Thread ).

Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have found that many of the gadgets that he sells are exactly the same as available from other catalogs but Griots is marked up more. I like his MF towels, however. Some of his polishes are very good,--very fine, not too harsh. He also offers a very good warranty on all his stuff,--if things aren't working right.

What got him started was garage floor paint. I used his paint and can't say that it is that much better than anyone else's. In fact, it lifts, just like the cheap stuff. He quickly disclaims any responsibility for stuff like that saying he's not prepping and applying it so he can't guarantee it,--but I went through the whole regiment very carefully and it still happened to me.

What he does is simple,--many of his products are merely drop-shipped from the vendors themselves and he takes a cut of it, and handles the billing. If you hunt around a little bit you will find that his prices on identical items are higher than others. What a great job! Traveling around the world looking for products to sell in a catalog. He's not what he used to be there, either. He used to carry some pretty rare unique items but now he's being matched or beaten both in selection and in price by several others.

An added note: Griot stands behind their stuff. If you're not happy after some time they still will deliver for you. I think that's worth paying a bit more for,--and I'm sure that's why he's priced accordingly.

Last edited by Edgy01; 04-20-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:24 PM
MMD
Banned

It's easy and the stuff is good quality. I'm not searching for bargains so I'm glad to pay for that combination. That's what boutique-shopping is all about.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:03 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wetstuff
I think Girot is stuck in the second wave ..when their more advanced prospects are already riding the the third wave of marketing. The first wave was your local Auto Parts store with a shelf full of Turtle Wax.

The third wave, as I see it, allows us to refine our choices and direct-source anything. Who needs a catalog re-packager when you can ask a couple of thousand new friends with common interests for a recommendation for the best-of-anything. This allows small companies to bloom on their merit - not the size of their mailing list. Zaino and Jeffs Werkstatt come to mind in this context...

Hell, I finally threw out the 5,000 pages of the Thomas Register, an industrial sourcing catalog. Why would I need that when I can find the origins of stainless castings in China ..sheepskins in S. America, etc. within 24 hours...

People like my wife will continue to do catalogs because they're easy. She's made the decision to not be very resourceful. ..unless it comes to the Three C's (carat, cut, clarity...)
keep those Victoria's Secret Catalogs coming
Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Tron999
Intermediate

I think Griot's stuff is all overpriced. Zaino is a better polish, and you can get 99% of their tools (un-confirmed fact) elsewhere, without their name on it.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:13 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

COOCHAS!!!!! you're my new hero.....i'm going to copy that cart of yours but will go as far as motorize it with a radio control....seriously, great looking wash cart.

Others: thanks very much for your thoughtful and sincere replies, i now have a much better idea as to what they're all about and why it is that i don't see their products mentioned more often.

all of you, thanks. much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

I use their yellow microfiber drying towels with hand pockets (work great), wheel cleaning "foam wands" (not sure of the name and don't have the catalog with me), and the three finger foam wheel mits, both of which also are great for reaching across the inside of the wheel and cleaning the wheel face, respectively. I also have their clay bar, and have used it once since receiving it in December (first time i've used one, so can't compare to anything else).

Jerry

Quick Reply: Griot's Garage .....your opinion?