Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Griot's Garage .....your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like their wheel cleaner, their car wash soap and some of their wash mitts. Their best of show wax is horrible. Hard to put on and take off. I absolutely hate their window cleaner and I hate how they charge an extra $3 for their sprayer which always leaks.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the inline water filter. I'm not so sure that is any good. It only lasted for 5 washes and left spots since new. I'll probably buy the CR spotless next.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The car wash is excellent. Probably best I ever used since Sonax when it was available in US.
Other products are usually very good, but not always the best, imo.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I particularly like their Rubber and Trim Detailing Spray. Deepens the black but is not shiny. it also shines anodized metal parts when you are concours prepping. I did find that their Speed Shine Quick Detailer and my elbow grease seems to be the only thing that would take off the wax residue I carelessly let build up on the invisible bra edges. Not of the other Quick Detailers would touch it.

In general, the catalogues are interesting reading even if full of hyperbole, the products are good, but the prices are high. I only buy selected things from them.

Last edited by Pete Lech; 05-10-2007 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

They sell nothing that you can't get somewhere for less money. It's a simple as that. I bought from them until I figured that out, have not bought from them for many years now. There are better detailing products out there.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by gweedo911
I bought the inline water filter. I'm not so sure that is any good. It only lasted for 5 washes and left spots since new. I'll probably buy the CR spotless next.
return it. griots will take them back.
they have been down on qty as of late (griot that is)
Old 05-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Johnza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just finished using Zaino products on my clk 320 (black), the results are amazing without a buffer . I used the all in one, z-2, z-5 , z-6 , and z-8. The clk is a 2002, it looks like the day that I took delivery. I used the clk as my guinea pig, next up, my 997 s

JZ
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Griot's Machine Polishes and Speed Shine; I don't like their wax, I believe Zaino's wax is better.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mo
The car wash is excellent. Probably best I ever used since Sonax when it was available in US.
Other products are usually very good, but not always the best, imo.
I agree about the car wash.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:03 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Go to a website that has a selection of products rather than one boutique brand - you can pick best of breed that way, and suit your pocket at the same time.

Suggest http://www.autopia-carcare.com

And their excellent how-to section: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html
Old 05-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
I posted this here given the number of detailing enthusiasts and the like who spend time here. I should also preface that by saying that i've done multiple searches using Griot's, Griots, Griot with minimal success in terms of the information that i'm after. What prompts the thread is that I recently received a mailing of theirs and was absolutely impressed by the organization of the magazine, product layout, and provided information. Their website I have found to be of the same professional caliber. I am puzzled in that I have not found more of you on this website as users of their products. Personally, I started ordering my products at autopia-carcare.com and have done so exclusiviely as a result of some of your suggestions. Having said that, I liked what i saw and have a few questions:

-are their product offerings more marketing than substance?
-are their products inferior to those found elsewhere?
-is it a function of price that drive some of you to use different products?
-are their products rebranded or do they have exclusive patents on them(excluding the obvious, i.e., rotary/orbitals, bigger ticket items)?

I'm a bit surprised is all as to the low use of Griot's products when searching throughout the Rennlist Forums. One "Griot's Garage" search yielded a result dating back to 2002-2003 as further proof with the same kind of question than mine but whose responses were lackluster at best. Anyhow, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.

Why don't more of you use their products?

regards

They don't manufacture anything that I know of....as in I believe they private label their products from a place out in Florida...if rumors are correct.

Aside from that though they are way over priced for what you get. I have stated many times that they sell a gallon of interior dressing for $95.00 yet there is nothing so unique about that dressing that can justify selling it at that huge of a mark up. I'm sure it works great but so do many dressing costing $25.00 for a gallon....and yes they also have UV absorbers in them.

So again I'm sure it works well (I've used many of their products) but nothing I would personally buy.

Anthony
Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I've been getting their catalogues for some time, however the only thing I've bought is the "Italian air horns" to replace the horns in the Pcar that died....and that turned out to be an excellent purchase. In order to increase their profit margins, they have outsourced a lot of their tools, carts, and orbital polishers to Chinese manufacturers and just relabeling them with the Griot's brand name. Most of my auto detailing materials I buy from Autopia.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:06 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

yep, i order from autopia as well (great service, great product line up) but my question was aimed specifically at Griot's.

thanks for all of the replies!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use their leather car for my den funiture and it works great. My chair and ottoman had some sun fade on one side and their home product brought it back to life....

Quick Reply: Griot's Garage .....your opinion?