Sponsored by:

OT Imus Firing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
It's definitely a broader slice than the narrow supposedly higher salary 997 crowd, that's for sure.

Somebody once likened it to that bar scene in Star Wars where you get all kinds of strange characters parading through.

But after a while you get to know some of the characters and those who are more to your line of thinking. But, boy o boy, it can get wild there in a hurry. But you can't beat the entertainment value, that's for sure.
Two words: "Mike" "Pesik"
Old 04-12-2007, 11:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Two words: "Mike" "Pesik"
I knew that's who you were thinking of too. LOL

Definitely a piece of work, that guy. But I also feel sorry for him too, thinking he can find solace in the OT Forum by airing out his personal laundry. It was actually embarrassing to read some of his threads. I was embarrassed for him.

Poor guy. He hasn't been heard from in a long while. Hope all is well for him.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

read the imus thread in ot. would you post over there ?
i think daniel carver owns a porsche.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

you know what's weird is that if it's a business decision to let him go..... he has brought in 20 million dollars to the network per year........ so is it really a business decision?

btw.... whether what he said was wrong or right... .listen to all the rap music out there where they degrade women, black people and make threats about killing cops etc...... why aren't those prosecuted and hanged like this Imus dude?

i think when the band wagon comes everybody wants to jump on WITH prejudice.......... if we take down one, let's take them all down...........OR heaven forbid that we actually allow free speech?????????
Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
you know what's weird is that if it's a business decision to let him go..... he has brought in 20 million dollars to the network per year........ so is it really a business decision?

btw.... whether what he said was wrong or right... .listen to all the rap music out there where they degrade women, black people and make threats about killing cops etc...... why aren't those prosecuted and hanged like this Imus dude?

i think when the band wagon comes everybody wants to jump on WITH prejudice.......... if we take down one, let's take them all down...........OR heaven forbid that we actually allow free speech?????????

Imus is not being procecuted, he is being fired in the private sector. Advertisers no longer will pay for his show, so, there is no $20 million a year that CBS is losing. The **** rappers rap only exists because there are enough people who will pay for their music. If there were'nt they would not be singing.

It's all part of the free market system.

Imus is not being denied the right to say anything....only being denied to say it, and be paid for it, on CBS.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Imus is not being procecuted, he is being fired in the private sector. Advertisers no longer will pay for his show, so, there is no $20 million a year that CBS is losing. The **** rappers rap only exists because there are enough people who will pay for their music. If there were'nt they would not be singing.

It's all part of the free market system.

Imus is not being denied the right to say anything....only being denied to say it, and be paid for it, on CBS.
gotta disagree...... remember... it's was not CBS's original intention to let IMUS go in the beginning, it was from the outrage of the afro american community with al sharpin and crew that caused the removal...
now again, back to my my original statement...... if that's the case, and al sharpin and crew was SO OUTRAGE, why doesn't he also target the rappers who degrades the community 100x's MORE........ What happen to free speech then.........?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:41 AM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
gotta disagree...... remember... it's was not CBS's original intention to let IMUS go in the beginning, it was from the outrage of the afro american community with al sharpin and crew that caused the removal...
You're wrong. The outrage led to a laundry list of big advertisers cancelling their deals. It's about the $$$, but regardless free speech may protect his right to make racist remarks, but that doesn't make it OK and I'm glad he's paying a price. Those young women didn't deserve what he said and those comments are more damaging to the black community than a single act of physical violence would be to any particular individual. These comments have repercussions and consequences for all of us.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rfedele
You're wrong. The outrage led to a laundry list of big advertisers cancelling their deals. It's about the $$$, but regardless free speech may protect his right to make racist remarks, but that doesn't make it OK and I'm glad he's paying a price. Those young women didn't deserve what he said and those comments are more damaging to the black community than a single act of physical violence would be to any particular individual. These comments have repercussions and consequences for all of us.
i never stated anything about physical violence but all the violence and degrading words in rap......... listen to them and then you tell me when they call each other the N word and telling them to F the chick and then dump them for the next and you tell me if that has nothing to do with hurting he community........if so.... why aren't we jumping down their throats......
Now in terms of what IMUS said about the young women.... i agree, what he stated was wrong and he's a dumbass for it..... but let's keep in perspective on what he says, what rappers say and why we jump down the throat of one, and the other continues to thrive ............. would it be ignorance?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Oh man, I've been busting out laughing at some of the funniest stuff that Dave (Coochas) has posted in OT under the thread about Cameltoe being in Wikipedia.

That thread is classic!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:25 AM
jerryrice
Advanced

What IMUS said was wrong, but rather meek compared to when the wheel is reversed
Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 AM
wetstuff
Pro

I agree with some of all of you. I listened to him every morning for the past five years. ...heard his contract may allow him to extract a large donation from CBS to his Kids w/Cancer Ranch. David Boies is one of his friends. ..back to Jimmy Hendrix in the Morning.. Have a nice day y'all.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM
bdmason
Instructor

It's definitely a broader slice than the narrow supposedly higher salary 997 crowd, that's for sure.

Somebody once likened it to that bar scene in Star Wars where you get all kinds of strange characters parading through.

But after a while you get to know some of the characters and those who are more to your line of thinking. But, boy o boy, it can get wild there in a hurry. But you can't beat the entertainment value, that's for sure.
Great description
Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 PM
DerivativesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by rfedele
No, you are wrong. Sponsors started dropping off b/c Jesse and Al were threatening boycotts. Know what happens when Jesse boycots a company?? He shakes them down for "donations" to his "civil rights" organization. Oh and yeh how do you think Jesse Jackson's brother became the largest Budweiser distributor in Chicago? One hint...Jesse and crew boycotted An. Busch a few years back and next thing you know Jesse's brother gets a distributorship and the boycott is over.

Imus did more for charity than Jesse and Al will ever do in their lifetimes. Imus was brought down by a cadre of civil rights privateers. Shameful.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 PM
rfedele
Racer

The issue is why was he fired. Because advertisers dropped off. I didn't comment on why they dropped off.

He deserved what he got and I'm no Al/Jesse supporter. Those young women are generally success strories for where they came from. The inner city black community (I happen to be white but grew up in Newark, NJ) can be a tough one to come out of and they deserved better than those ridiculous comments. The advertisers should have run for the hills without Al/Jesse pushing.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:23 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

hey no doubt..... and i agree..... i think imus is an *** and what he did was absolutely wrong....... i just wanted to state about the hypocrisy of what's going on..... especially with al sharpton...... like in the case of Tawana Brawley case and in 1995 with the Freddie Fashion Mart where he made a racial reference of a white retail property owner a "white interloper" and provoked violence......this is the man that plays the race card and cries wolf more then anyone.......

also.......
On April 7, 2007, Sharpton called for the firing of radio host Don Imus. On his morning radio show Imus in the Morning, the host had referred to the women's basketball team at Rutgers University as "nappy-headed hos." On April 9, Imus appeared on Sharpton's radio show. Again, Sharpton indicated that Imus should be fired, asking Imus if he was ready to sign his resignation. The following morning, Imus and Sharpton went head to head once again on NBC's Today Show. On April 11, MSNBC dropped its simulcast of the show. On April 12, Imus was fired by CBS, effective immediately.[32] Some, including The Kansas City Star journalist Jason Whitlock, have criticized Sharpton for using the situation "to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda" when he should instead be focusing on other issues like the effects of hip-hop culture such as gangsta rap.[33] Whitlock further accused Sharpton and Jesse Jackson of "exploiting [the Rutger's women's basketball team], making [...] the problems much bigger than what they should be."[34]

Quick Reply: OT Imus Firing