Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Tips for Accident Avoidance

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckla
I want to be seen and heard, even by those fully distracted. Thus, I drive a red car, often have my lights on and always have pse on. I pay very close attention to what cars are doing in front and around me. I make mental notes, often remembering a piece of their license plate, and how they are driving. Who uses turn signals, who moves too close to the center line, who fails to drive at a constant speed, who demonstrates a need to cut other cars off or win a mini race, who is on the phone, etc. This helps me focus and drive with confidence. Like others, I pan my mirrors left to right frequently so no one surprises me with their sudden presence. It's all defensive, but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the car.
Im not as bad as you but real close. Im watchin constantly. Cant be too careful especially in Delray where there a lot of older drivers doing unpredictable things.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:26 PM
PORSCHE968
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to tapping the brakes to make your slowing more obvious in certain situations, I find that making my car wiggle left and right makes it much more obvious to the dulards behind me. I usually reserve this for big sudden slowdowns on the freeway. This "wiggling" never fails. I use it when the person behind me has demonstrated inattentiveness or is just following too close for comfort in those situations. Wakes em right up, perhaps it freaks em out a bit as well, but it makes them notice what is going on. My wife even thinks it's a good idea and she keeps telling me that I should go at a walking speed when turning on to a side street! Right, that's why I bought a Pcar!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Sands
Instructor

I see the same accident at least once a week...and have for years. It's always the same thing. Two cars are both waiting to get on the Merritt Pkwy. Both are stopped, looking over their left shoulder, waiting for a chance to get on the highway. The next thing you know, the second car has rear-ended the first. How does this happen?

The first car starts to go. The following car sees that, looks at the oncoming traffic , sees he can go...and does..right into the back of the first car who decided he really couldn't go after all.

If you are the first car, decide to go and then GO. Don't creep, or start and stop. Otherwise, the guy behind you will simply plow into you. If you are the second car, make SURE the first car is actually going before you decide to go too. Otherwise, you will plow right into him.

This accident happens constantly and is easily avoided.

Last edited by Sands; 04-13-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sands
I see the same accident at least once a week...and have for years. It's always the same thing. Two cars are both waiting to get on the Merritt Pkwy. Both are stopped, looking over their left shoulder, waiting for a chance to get on the highway. The next thing you know, the second car has rear-ended the first. How does this happen?

The first car starts to go. The following car sees that, looks at the oncoming traffic , sees he can go...and does..right into the back of the first car who decided he really couldn't go after all.

If you are the first car, decide to go and then GO. Don't creep, or start and stop. Otherwise, the guy behind you will simply plow into you. If you are the second car, make SURE the first car is actually going before you decide to go too. Otherwise you will plow right into him.

Go advice Sands, especially regarding the lead guy trying to merge. It's similar to the turn on red situation that got me: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...8&postcount=21
If you're the lead guy and for some reason you need to stop suddenly before being able to merge (an animal jumps out in front - it could happen) blow your horn to alert the guy behind you that you've stopped or slowed down, otherwise you'll be exchanging pleasantries. Easier said then done, I know. But for the guy behind the lead guy it's an easy habit to get into to do a quick look to the right before proceeding. It should go without saying that it should be a general rule to always look first in the direction you're heading before proceeding.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:23 AM
greenhouse
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sands

If you are the first car, decide to go and then GO. Don't creep, or start and stop. Otherwise, the guy behind you will simply plow into you. If you are the second car, make SURE the first car is actually going before you decide to go too. Otherwise you will plow right into him.

I did that when I was in the lower left of CT by this road called round hill, it was a sort of rotary, and at 17 I was not particularly patient. Unfortunately the SUV had a trailer hitch so I bore the brunt.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Sands
Instructor

Originally Posted by greenhouse
I did that when I was in the lower left of CT by this road called round hill, it was a sort of rotary, and at 17 I was not particularly patient. Unfortunately the SUV had a trailer hitch so I bore the brunt.
I know just where you mean, greenhouse. That's the rotary at the intersection of Round Hill and Lake. When I was 17, my girlfriend lived in the last house just before that intersection. It's still a great road, though, for a nice drive in a p-car!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's one

Originally Posted by PORSCHE968
In addition to tapping the brakes to make your slowing more obvious in certain situations, I find that making my car wiggle left and right makes it much more obvious to the dulards behind me. I usually reserve this for big sudden slowdowns on the freeway. This "wiggling" never fails. I use it when the person behind me has demonstrated inattentiveness or is just following too close for comfort in those situations. Wakes em right up, perhaps it freaks em out a bit as well, but it makes them notice what is going on. My wife even thinks it's a good idea and she keeps telling me that I should go at a walking speed when turning on to a side street! Right, that's why I bought a Pcar!
Here's something that works for me: When I see traffic ahead suddenly slowing, or when I'm at a light and I see cars behind me not slowing quickly enough, I turn on my flashers. Doing this has saved me more than once. Once, at a light the driver behind, told me that if it weren't for my flashers he would have rear-ended me.
Mr. B
Old 04-27-2008, 01:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by bigs
Sometimes, when you try to do someone a favor, you end up harming them.

Here's the situation:

I'm on a 4-lane road with a center turn lane. I'm near the end of a long line of cars in the inside lane, all stopped for a red light ahead. The outside lane - which is a right turn lane - is empty.

There is an oncoming pickup truck stopped in the center turn lane waiting to turn left across my two lanes of traffic.

The light ahead turns green, and the inside lane of cars ahead of me slowly begins to move. The car in front of me - trying to be a nice guy - remains stopped and motions the pickup to turn left in front of him. The girl driving the pickup gives a grateful wave and makes a quick left turn so as not to hold up the line of cars in my inside lane...

...right in front of two guys in a Honda Accord approaching quickly in the empty outside lane - who never saw it coming.

Fortunately, no one seemed to be seriously injured. However, the Honda knocked the Toyota pickup truck on its side - and the female driver had to be extracted through the sunroof.

Points to consider:

1. I decided a long time ago - for this very reason - not to give in to the urge to be a nice guy when I'm in the inside lane and let an oncoming car turn left in front of me, unless the outside lane is also occupied by a long line of cars, traffic is creeping in both lanes, and the driver at my right side also stops to allow the turn.

Otherwise I might be simply setting up some poor soul to get nailed.

2. Whenever I'm approaching a long line of stopped cars in the inside lane - and I'm in the outside lane - I always slow down and approach with caution, for the very reason that someone may be allowing a left turn right across my lane.
Unfortunately it was the girl's fault for failure to yield to the oncoming traffic flow in the outside lane. And the officer will likely cite her for that, even though someone else yielded their right of way to allow her in.

I usually wave off people who think they're being kind by letting me cut in like that. I'll motion with my hand to keep moving while shaking my head "no." And often they don't realize that there may not be any cars behind theirs, and all they end up doing is staying in my way longer.

But if there's a long line of cars as in this incident, I'll take advantage of the opportunity to turn, thank the person for letting me in with the palm salute and an appreciative nod, and just stick my nose in that blind lane for a sec before proceeding slowly until I've made sure oncoming traffic has seen me, and I have seen them, and then I make my turn quickly so as to not delay others any longer.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

I should point out that in the above example, that there really are two lessons to be learned from it.

The two guys in the Honda Accord never saw it coming. And I think this is the bigger danger in these situations, being in that outside lane with no traffic ahead and a long line of cars in that left lane.

So the lesson here is whenever you are in that empty lane on the right, be on the lookout for any hidden alleys or side streets on the right where someone might be attempting to cut through that line and enter without seeing you coming.

Rule of Thumb: Proceed with caution, anticipate the unexpected.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:20 PM
OCBen
Banned

I'm sure it's already been posted here, but in light of the tragic accident a couple nights ago near here that cut short the life of a promising young Angels pitcher and two other young friends of his, as well as leaving a fourth victim clinging to life, this driving tip deserves repeating, in the hope that it might save your life and the lives of your loved ones.

If you're the lead car at a traffic light and the light turns green, do not GO when the light turns green without first looking to your left and then your right to make sure no one is racing to try to beat the light, especially late at night when more drunk drivers are on the road, and especially if you have passengers who have entrusted their lives to you. If the young gal driving the car had known this tip and applied it, this tragedy may have been prevented.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen

If you're the lead car at a traffic light and the light turns green, do not GO when the light turns green without first looking to your left and then your right to make sure no one is racing to try to beat the light, especially late at night when more drunk drivers are on the road, and especially if you have passengers who have entrusted their lives to you.

Cannot be over-emphathised. I have said this to my kids 42000 times. Ive seen it happen right in front of my eyes.....car on my left jumped the light and what do you know...a red light runnin son of a bitch t- bones him. Ive been honked at to move when the light turns green but effem...Im gonna survive.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Brown
Here's something that works for me: When I see traffic ahead suddenly slowing, or when I'm at a light and I see cars behind me not slowing quickly enough, I turn on my flashers. Doing this has saved me more than once. Once, at a light the driver behind, told me that if it weren't for my flashers he would have rear-ended me.
Mr. B
+1. Emergency flashers work as an excellent deterrent in that situation and also to warn tailgaters. I use them all the time. I find myself being tailgated in traffic by SUVs, mini-vans, and pickup trucks all the time - these people have no clue, as they do not realize that I over-brake them.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

I think that it should be a safety feature that if the brakes are applied at 90% (or some other high number) that the flashers come on automatically to alert drivers behind you that you are stopping suddenly. Obviously this won't help if you are already sitting still but for the instances where you have to stop quickly it could provide a vital warning to those behind.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockeyman11385
I think that it should be a safety feature that if the brakes are applied at 90% (or some other high number) that the flashers come on automatically to alert drivers behind you that you are stopping suddenly. Obviously this won't help if you are already sitting still but for the instances where you have to stop quickly it could provide a vital warning to those behind.
That or fast blinking brake lights. MB developed fast blinking brake lights and wanted to bring those to the US. The bureaucrats at EPA/DOT denied that; they thought drivers would be confused. Yeah, right, drivers get confused when they see flashing police lights.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Craig B
Intermediate

One time, had a a guy towing a trailer - his car was so close behind the 928 I was driving I could read his number plate. Touched the brakes to suggest he might back off a bit - probably slowed about 10Km/h. He brakes so hard, everything locks up, just about jackknifes the trailer, but straightens up and is okay - naturally does the whole raised finger, racing off in a hissy fit.

Certainly demonstrated he had no chance of stopping if he needed to.

Question for discussion - are you making things safer by waking him up (and pissing him off) in a safe situation, and hoping he doesn't massively stuff things up - or leaving him there and hoping you never need to find out just how crap his brakes are?

Quick Reply: Driving Tips for Accident Avoidance