Sponsored by:

Rear/side vision

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM
greencherry
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear/side vision

As a new owner, I didn't realize at first how much the seats can obstruct rear quarter vision. After reclining in the passenger seat last week to rest my eyes on long, late drive home, I left it near full recline when I started off again. And I found my right rear quarter view much improved. Simple thing, but I searched and didn't see it posted, so I thought I'd mention. Does anyone recline the passenger seat when driving alone?
Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recline it!.....I'd remove it if I could!!! Of coarse the wifey would be pissed. But I'm usually alone, and it does block your view. I did remove the rear seats on the dealers lot before I drove my car home.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I used to align my passenger seat with the B pillar to minimise it's impact if not carrying a passenger.

Of course, it's far worse with a cabriolet as our quarter windows are more like 1/8th windows, and the rear window is very small. (Hence, another reason I like the big rear window in the hardtop).
Old 04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
diverdan
Intermediate

Despite this minor issue, I find the 997 has better visibility than almost all of the sports cars I have driven (excluding cabs/verts with the top down ).
Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM
greencherry
Cruisin'

Agreed. The visibility is much better than other sports cars and one thing that helps make it the most driveable car in its category. Snow, passenger/cargo capacity and parking security aside, you don't leave the 997 in the garage just because you don't feel like driving it.

That said, during the 1st couple months, you do discover the small things that don't surface in test drives, great nuances as well as quirks. We could all probably list a bunch of them. For example, why the delay in lights blinking when the remote locking is engaged? I feel like I have to double check every time I park in a public area. Anyone else have anything?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

I have no problem with visibility. However, cars in the $20k range have much better key/remote systems. The remote is way too sensitive. I ended up removing my "button" for the front trunk as it was driving me insane. Is a simple beep too much to ask for when locking the vehicle? My 993 was OK in this regard because when locked, you could hear a solid clunking noise.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

I hesitate to ask,...BUT, have you tried elevating the seat height? I know the power seats have this control - not sure about manual seats but I would imagine that they also do.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 PM
greencherry
Cruisin'

I've raised the seats in mine to a pretty much perfect driving position. Just the headrests tend to block the rear qtr windows. Agreed about the remotes. Further complicated with no sound indication or any visible/moving lock. I also open the front storage lid unintentionally all the time when carrying other items in the same hand with my key.

Tiny things in general. In fact, time to head out for a ride...
Old 04-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I hesitate to ask,...BUT, have you tried elevating the seat height? I know the power seats have this control - not sure about manual seats but I would imagine that they also do.

The 997s are considerably different in this department from my past 911s,--very low. I wind up elevating the seats more so that I can see things upfront better, just over the front fenders.

Quick Reply: Rear/side vision