Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 25,000 miles and 2.5 years of ownership, I would like to air out my two gripes

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007 | 05:26 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrBonus
As I age, I drink less and less whiskey and espresso. I enjoy slowly sipping my way into overstimulation or inebriation.
It's the journey, not the destination - eh, Ian?

Good call... especially for a Porsche owner!

Back to your original comments - yeah, I agree that PASM is overkill. PASM Normal seems to be a fairly brilliant trade-off between ride and poise, but PASM Sport is too tightly dampened for the street (and probably sub-optimal for a real track car). The complexity scares me - when it works, it's totally transparent. When it breaks? Oh, Hell...

OTHO, there is hope for PASM as witnessed in Excellence' reporting on the 997 GT3 - but I don't think that the improved performance is related to anything that could be done solely with software...

A trunk-mounted gyro-stabilized coffee transport device could be an option in the 998 - another reason to upgrade. :-)

-don
Old 04-04-2007 | 06:39 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

RonCT, you are spot on , again!
I'm with the germans on this one, I would never eat nor drink in any car!
Old 04-04-2007 | 06:59 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rdstemler
I use these that I got for thr M5. They work great on the C4. They are near the floor so the CG is better then up on the dash board. I've even put 32 oz drinks in with no problem!

Try www.ultimatecupholders.com
These work great, are hardly noticeable, and spills end up on the floor, not something more noticeable.
Old 04-04-2007 | 07:07 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrBonus
.......so I chose to commit the ultimate European sports car owner sin and placed it in my cupholder for the duration of my drive, which I do not touch until my car is parked and the ignition is off. After checking all of my lug nuts for the proper torque setting, checking the wear on my brake pads, removing my fire suit, checking the coolant level, and adjusting my tire pressure, I then remove my coffee and consume it at least 35 yards (at all times) from my parked automobile.
You adjust your tire pressures when they're hot?
Old 04-04-2007 | 07:14 PM
malammik
Racer

I take a piece of napkin and roll it into a tube to make a temporary plug for the coffe/tea. It works great with dome lids.
Old 04-04-2007 | 07:47 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

I love the cupholder. It is the only one I have ever seen that is worth a damn. I absolutely need something to hold my coffee.

I agree that the alternate european suspension should be an available option. Be advised that a 20 mm lowering(about .8 inch) will cause frequent bottoming, the stock ride height grounds quite often. PASM compatable coilovers are now available for those who need lowered cars for driver education or autocross use.
Old 04-04-2007 | 09:49 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by MichaelL
I love the cupholder. It is the only one I have ever seen that is worth a damn. I absolutely need something to hold my coffee.
I agree. if you hate the cupholders on a 997, or for that matter any current porsche except the Cayanne, then you would lose your mind in an older model Audi TT. You had to reach behind the handbrake to get to them! I havent had any trouble with the cup holders and i get the jumbo drink at taco bell. But maybe after continued use over time they become less supportive of beverages...

PASM...dont have any use for the sport setting.
Old 04-04-2007 | 10:00 PM
rebe1
Racer

Do what I do when I need to bring some coffee to work or home... get an extra size bigger and pour some out (or if they would, get them to put in a bigger cup).
Old 04-04-2007 | 10:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

MrBonus - cudos for your post. You display the correct and admirable attitude for Porsche ownership - not to mention an outstanding sense of humor. I especially enjoyed the "not less than 35 yards" part. Suggestion: make that 30 meters to fit with Porsche's metric system.

May I be so bold as to suggest buying a Porsche Coffee maker for your office instead?

Yours in caffeine ..
Old 04-04-2007 | 10:33 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Drink your coffee before you leave home. Or drink the office coffee. Starbucks is for soccer moms and male hairdressers. Put on a pair and drive your Porsche.
Old 04-04-2007 | 11:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Drink your coffee before you leave home. Or drink the office coffee. Starbucks is for soccer moms and male hairdressers. Put on a pair and drive your Porsche.
I'm a coffee addict myself but I hold out until I make it to the office and then make the first pot, as I am the first one in.

And my commute is almost 50 miles from home to the office, and so that is a long stretch to go without my morning coffee. But I make up for it when I gulp down my first two cups in rapid succession.

Btw, what did you mean by "put on a pair?"
Old 04-04-2007 | 11:55 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911Dave
haha. and great avatar btw.
Old 04-05-2007 | 12:16 AM
jjl
Instructor

about Germans and cupholders not mixing...the cupholders in my MB ML350 are the best i've ever seen, and have won awards for their design. for starters, it's always better to have them in the center console rather than coming out of the dash. The ones in the ML fit all sizes of cup securely. so, it's possible for germans to design a good cup holder.
Old 04-05-2007 | 01:01 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I can't believe you guys have gone for three pages without realizing those are not cupholders! Those are clearly intended as handcuffs for your female passengers!
Old 04-05-2007 | 01:16 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I can't believe you guys have gone for three pages without realizing those are not cupholders! Those are clearly intended as handcuffs for your female passengers!
I wish I still had the link to that pic that showed the female passenger in "handcuffs" sitting in a Boxster.

Quick Reply: After 25,000 miles and 2.5 years of ownership, I would like to air out my two gripes