Sponsored by:

Good deed story of the day: A stranger saved my Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Good deed story of the day: A stranger saved my Porsche

I just stepped out of a mall and an incredibly strong gust, virtually out of nowhere, had just hit the parking lot. I saw about 18-20 shopping carts accelerating and starting to crash into cars, triggering several alarms. I had parked my car way down at the end, but I could see three carts heading into that direction. From my point of view it looked as if one or two of them would hit my Porsche. And while I’m still standing in shock, waiting for the inevitable to happen, I see this random 30-something guy sprinting across the parking lot (lightning-fast!), and stopping the cart just before it would have hit my driver’s side rear panel (the other two missed my car). I saw him securing the cart in a flower bed and then walking back to where he had come from. So it was my time to sprint over to him to say thank you. I caught him just before he reached his car (an old Honda). It just feels great to know that people would do stuff like that.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:16 PM

Smile

Excellent!

Wow that's very nice to hear...I would have given him a nice monetary reward (especially since he was driving an old Honda) in addition to the heart felt thanks; either way, God will smile on him for the good deed!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

What a story.Reaffirms my faith in the good in people.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story. Not too often you get good news like this.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Good story.

Now, how many of us would do the same if Wolfgang's car isn't a Porsche?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:17 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You lucked out Wolf, on both counts. Glad you were able to catch up to the guy to thank him.

That meant more to him than any monetary reward, and to have offered any would have probably insulted and offended him and taken away from the good feeling he was having of helping a total unseen stranger that would never know the good he had just done. I'm sure your appreciation when you thanked him really made his day.

So finish the rest of the story, what was his response when you were able to thank him before he had a chance to drive away?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Good story.

Now, how many of us would do the same if Wolfgang's car isn't a Porsche?
yeah, more importantly would wolfgang or anyone else (including me) have sprinted to save the cart from hitting this guy's Honda? unfortunately, probably not...
Old 04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Nice to see there are some decent people left.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
yeah, more importantly would wolfgang or anyone else (including me) have sprinted to save the cart from hitting this guy's Honda? unfortunately, probably not...
If it was a beater car, I certainly wouldn't waste my time, as it probably wouldn't leave any noticeable mark or dent on such a car that the owner would notice and get all bent out of shape over.

If anybody were to run to catch a runaway grocery cart from hitting a beater, that person needs to get a life and see a psychiatrist, as he is probably single, a loner, and mentally maladjusted.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
So finish the rest of the story, what was his response when you were able to thank him before he had a chance to drive away?
I ran over and caught up with him when he had his door open but was still outside, and I said "THANK YOU, man, that was my car over there, thank you so much, wow", and I was kind of gasping for air, really excited and surprised and slightly exhausted from the sprint, and he really just said "you're welcome, no problem", and just nodded and got into his car. I mean, I didn't even have a chance to offer anything. Chasing down the cart before it would hit my Porsche seemed to be the most normal thing in the world for him.

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
more importantly would wolfgang or anyone else (including me) have sprinted to save the cart from hitting this guy's Honda?
Sadly, I very much doubt it. I could see myself sprinting across a large parking lot to save it from hitting a child or something, but I have to admit it would have been unlikely for me to chase it down before it hits a car. I will see next time if I learned my lesson.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was a beater car, I certainly wouldn't waste my time, as it probably wouldn't leave any noticeable mark or dent on such a car that the owner would notice and get all bent out of shape over.

If anybody were to run to catch a runaway grocery cart from hitting a beater, that person needs to get a life and see a psychiatrist, as he is probably single, a loner, and mentally maladjusted.
you have (appropriately) missed the point...

the average person doesnt have a "beater".... chances are very good that Honda was his only car....
Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

he was driving his beater.....he has a porsche at home

Glad your baby is OK
Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Great story.

It looks like they caught it on tape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA6EL0FPZHA
Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 PM
The B
Racer

Fire a mediocre employee and hire him.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:56 PM

That meant more to him than any monetary reward, and to have offered any would have probably insulted and offended him and taken away from the good feeling he was having of helping a total unseen stranger that would never know the good he had just done.
Soul T's thank you + some $ may have done more for him than you'll ever know...sometimes an unexpected $100 can make a world of difference to someone who may not be doing so well. As I said earlier, God will smile on him for the good deed and as Soul T said, had he enough time to think about it when it happened, he would have glady given it to him.

Quick Reply: Good deed story of the day: A stranger saved my Porsche