Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M/Autobahn Guard over whole hood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 PM
damoncooper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M/Autobahn Guard over whole hood?

I've read that some folks have had the 3M/Autobahn guard over the entire hood and the rear bottom fender area (where rocks/debris kick up from the rear tires).

I have the guard only up part way on the hood. I do kinda dislike the "line" that is visible there now.

Is this a common practice?

Damon
Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 PM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am having my hood, front bumper - sides included and mirrors done Friday. My car is a daily driver accumulating 90 miles per day on the highway, so it is common practice for vehicles used as mine is. Cheaper than a paint job.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Dro
Instructor

Talk to Sam at Premier. They are the best in the biz and did my full hood, fenders, and front bumper.

Just take a look at this amazing work..
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/341052-green-beast-getting-full-paint-protection-wrap.html
Old 04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
N2XSSPD
Rennlist Member

I have the half-way up hood covering, and I've gotten several small chip about 2-3" just above the end of the covering, another 3" would have protected the hood, so if you don't go with the full hood, maybe ask for an additional 3" more, or maybe 6" to be safe. That seems to be a common area for stuff to land. Fenders don't seem to have a problem, probably blocked by the headlights (which you can cover as well, even though the manual says not to cover the headlights with anything)
There is a definite "orange peel" effect from these coverings, and if you do the entire hood, would that bother you more than the "line"?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 PM
diverdan
Intermediate

I had my whole hood done at Premier and was pleased with the result. However, they will point out that the film they use can't cover the very top corners of the hood, the film isn't wide enough. This leave about a 3 inch area uncovered at the corners of the hood next to the windshield.

I can't imagine that area ever being a problem for bugs or rocks as it is parallel to the ground. You will see the seam, though. Particularly if your car is Arctic Silver, as mine is.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

I had my full hood, fenders, mirrors and doors done at Premier. No "orange peel" at all. Sam and Wilson know their stuff. If you are in the SF bay area, don't let anyone else but Premier touch your car.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked the same question to this forum last month when I got my C2S. Now I am glad to say that I listened to the folks here, and had my full hood covered by Premier. Go for it

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Bum
Advanced

+2

Quick Reply: 3M/Autobahn Guard over whole hood?