Sponsored by:

Considering an upgrade to the C4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob

It looks like you have the perfect Porsche now....except for 18" wheels and PASM......I spent a day in a 997 S and I really didn't care for the PASM system or 19" wheels for that matter

I started with Porsches in 1973 after a military vacation in S.E. Asia....at last count I think I've owned sixteen including a couple of track cars, all of the "911 Variety" except for two 986S.....which were around town toys and school carpool drivers ( we have ten year old little girl adopted in Russia at age of nine months )

I have been Porscheless for over a year.... I am to old for track fun....I have considered everything from 930s, 964, 993s to 996s, all which I owned before, and I have concluded for my use an '06 or '07 997 C2 or C4 with nominal options would be the best Porsche for me.....slightly used would be even better.....best bang for the buck

Reasonable cost of entry and creature comforts...... and a fun car for the family...then again, I never had a Porsche I didn't like

Last edited by Berkley; 03-27-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:56 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Tough audiences Driving a C4S here. reading all the comment make me feel drving a C4S is like taking the ugly sister to the prom..

No matter what, it's still a Porsche...Yesterday, Just droved 200 miles going no where...still amazed me of what it can do...

Hey MyEmily--I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you. I have a C2B ("B" as in base). I like it fine, and its nice to see some positive comments about a nonS C2 (which is unusual). But if a C4S and a C2B were hanging on a tree for the picking,I bet 90+% would pick the C4S.

JIM
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
MyEmily
Racer

It's a BAD *** car !!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Berkley: After what you've been through it makes my delema look pretty irrelevant.
I love my C2, don't get me wrong but I like the S package even better. Thanks everyone for all the opinions and recommendations. It looks like no matter what decision I made it won't be a bad one.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just get a TT and be done with it?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob- I was in a similiar state of mind a couple of months ago....sold my C2 and bought a C2S (both slightly used). I can't really rationalize it but I had the itch pretty bad. Both cars are wonderful (differences are subtle) but I am happy I made the move. The most honest way I can put it is that I am content with the S, whereas I don't believe I was prior. Anyway, if it will make you happy and it fits in your budget, I don't think you could regret the move to an S model.

On the 4 vs 2 dilema, I live in Florida so I personally don't have a need for AWD and prefer RWD. Again, hard to make a bad choice here....I think this comes down to personal preference.

Good luck
Old 03-27-2007, 08:39 AM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob, I was in a similar position last fall and ended up ordering a C4S with every option I wanted and couldn't be happier. I do not plan on tracking the car anytime soon but if I had that would have been a reason for me to choose a C2S over the 4S. At the limit the C2S is going to behave differently with more oversteer characteristics than the all-wheel-drive will allow for example and so if you are a planning on spending serious time on the track it's a consideration. Some say there is a big difference in steering feel for which 911's are so famous but in my comparison the road feedback is similar in both with the C4S steering a touch heavier overall. I sold a mint triple black 97 Cab which I loved but which sat for 3+ months a year thru the winter in my garage. I didn't buy the C4S to drive in the snow but I did drive it thru this past winter in everything but snow covered roads and I always felt very secure knowing I had the all wheel drive in wet conditions. The last swing factor for me was the slightly wider rear-end which some may not notice but I think makes the car look over the top when compared to anything else out there. If you want a good car to comparison drive you should call Porsche of Fairfield C.T. who it appears is still sitting on a car I test drove last August. It's a very highly optioned 2007 C2S black/black with the X51 package. The car MSRP was over 115K and when I drove it I could not feel enough difference in power to quantify spending 9k more than the C4S. I offered them 107k for the car which they turned down because they had just taken delivery of the car. It's still on there website listed as "manager's special" at 107K and if you liked it I bet u could get them down a little bit more to get you into same $ as a loaded C4S w/out X51. After driving my car now for just over 2k miles and reading a lot more about X51 characteristics I think the major benefit is felt at the very top of the rpm range where the X51 intake and exhaust improvements show up. Again, I would say this is more of a swing factor if you plan on tracking car as I still feel like my car is plenty fast for public roads. Just my thoughts on your dilema and possibly a nice C2S w/ X51 at a discount to consider. Good luck you can't go wrong either way.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Not only is she ugly, but she has a wider ***!
So does J-Lo... and let me ask... do you mind it????
Me personally... not at all...

But then again that was one reason I bought my wide a$$ed C4S!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:11 PM
d7lee
Intermediate

Appart from asthetics of a wider body, my thinking would be that unless you were having problems getting the power to the ground in a C2/C2S, I don't see the point of moving to the slightly heavier C4/C4S. I used to have a C4, but moved to a C2S after realizing that the rwd was hooking up perfectly well for me.. and then the weight difference just made the car feel more lively and spirited. AWD is overkill for most, especially since a lot of people seem to drive their P-car when the weather is dry. You guys in London are probably the only ones that need a C4 with that 'wonderful' weather that you're blessed with <horrible sarcasm>
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
So does J-Lo... and let me ask... do you mind it????
Me personally... not at all...

But then again that was one reason I bought my wide a$$ed C4S!

To live with daily,--I prefer the narrow body cars. I owned a special narrow body turbo several years ago and a big part of these cars is being able to keep the cd down for higher top speeds. Some of that is sacrificed for styling with the wider rear ends. For example, Alois Ruf chose the narrow body for his Yellow Bird and others. There's a method to the madness!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:55 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Why not just get a TT and be done with it?
My thoughts exactly! You know your going there anyway LOL. May as well skip a step!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

No way, the Turbo will be my excuse to buy a new one next year!
I'm buying a GT Silver C4S, black full leather, Sport Chrono Plus, Nav, Bose, Back up sensor, Carrera Sport wheels, etc, etc...I'm picking her up next Friday!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bob in NY; 03-30-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

updated.....
Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

C2S with X-51 engine = upgrade...
C4S unless you drive in really ucky weather = not worth it...

Spend a few bucks on rims and performance goodies for your C2 and you may be even happier!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Rivan
Advanced

Default C4S drives like a RWD car most the time

Congrat Bob! Hope you won't have a hard time to wait to next Friday.
I think the C2S and the C4S are not that different. Both are great choice!
I have the C4S. I never drove the C2S but I did switch cars with my friend's Cayman many times before. All my life I been driving RWD cars so after 8 or 9 RWD cars I really want to try something else and that why I choose the C4S over C2S. The C4S feels like a RWD to me most the time except when I push it very hard when corner and the once I use 4k RPM to launch just to show off to my friends The C4S gives me the RWD feel just like my friend's Cayman. Although the C4S steering wheel and clutch is a little bit heavier than the Cayman. I think most the time the power ratio of my C4S remains or close to 5: 95 in where I live (Southern California) so thats why it feels like a RWD to me. I really enjoy my C4S. Now I just need to update to the X-51...

Quick Reply: Considering an upgrade to the C4S