Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen headlights on Ebay: Anything we can do??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007 | 05:20 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by N2XSSPD
I received an answer back regarding these headlights as quoted. "No these lights are not "left overs" And absolutely you would be able to pick them up in person. I work in a body shop and the car left without the headlights, they were removed because they needed to be removed at the time. Not stolen. Call (818)469-1811 for any other questions".
See what he responds to the rest of your inquiries.

Well that explains it, the guy left the bodyshop without his headlights! I wonder what else was left behind??
Old 03-16-2007 | 05:25 PM
bdmason
Instructor

I was sittting here tryin to make sense of what the seller said
Old 03-16-2007 | 05:33 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Zero feedback is definitely a clue.
Old 03-16-2007 | 05:54 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I just got a similar response from him:

"NOT stolen. I work in a body shop and sometimes car parts become available. Any more questions please contact (818)469-1811"
Old 03-16-2007 | 06:00 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Hell I just bid on them. It will be interesting to see what they go for and where his reserve is set. I don't expect them to go real cheap but then....
I'll store them for whenever someone (including myself) screws up and needs them.... I'll even ask for a receipt from the body shop!
Old 03-16-2007 | 06:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Well, a new set of Porsche headlights don't just 'appear'; they were either stolen from the car owner, the body shop, or the insurance company. I thought about bidding on them, as I don't have xenons...but doing so only encourages the illegal activity.
Old 03-16-2007 | 07:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

At the bottom of the page for each item listed on eBay, there is a "report this item" link. I would suggest that if folks think this is stolen merchandise, they each click on the link and report it to eBay. I've done it. Perhaps if a bunch of people do, eBay will take notice.
Old 03-16-2007 | 07:14 PM
Paul523
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Well, a new set of Porsche headlights don't just 'appear'; they were either stolen from the car owner, the body shop, or the insurance company. I thought about bidding on them, as I don't have xenons...but doing so only encourages the illegal activity.
(I added emphasis)
I talked to the guy, doesn't sound like the lights were 'stolen' from someone's car-- in the conventional sense..... that being said, any grey market for these things is not good for retaining our xenons. The guy says he works at DC Autocraft collision shop on E.Providencia in Burbank... reports they came from totalled C4S with front end damage but hlights survived, remainder of the car was "towed away"... I should've asked for the car's vin.

Are insurance companies in CA like anywhere else & required to mitigate their losses? Do adjusters actually spend five minutes looking at salvageable parts or is the whole thing just rubber stamped/piece of the action...etc. Either way, if these lights start popping up routinely on ebay, then we've got a problem. One of you CSI Burbank sleuths can take it from here.
Old 03-16-2007 | 07:22 PM
tkids
Pro

Oh boy, looks like we have all been hammering him with the questions. I fired one of too asking if they work/can I pick them up!

Response:

Of course they work, theyre out of a brand new car. And yes you cna pick them up in person and pay cash. Please contact (818)469-1811. Which would be a better location? Burbank or West Hills?
Old 03-16-2007 | 07:38 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

OK - I just called the bodyshop - (DC Autocraft collision) - got through to the guy after going through a few people, and boy was he was pissed!

He wanted to know how come I knew where he worked..

He refused to talk about the lights unless I called him back on his cell phone

Sounds to me like he lifted them from work - and want's to sell them on the quiet

Didn't bother calling him back - I figure he's busted
Old 03-16-2007 | 08:03 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul523
Oh schitt! gotta look into witness protection pgm.
Didn't mean to drop you in it bro!

Just couldn't resist calling the shop - I actually asked for the manager so I could ask him if he knew his crew were selling jacked headlights, but the girl on reception diverted me to the backroom boys as soon as I mentioned EBAY, and they hooked me up to our nervous sounding crook.

I'd still love to update to the manager and see how he thinks it went down.

Anyone up for making that call?
Old 03-16-2007 | 08:21 PM
4thporsche
Racer

This is too funny. I have to stop reading this thread. People can hear me laughing in my office and are wondering what the hell is going on.
Old 03-16-2007 | 08:37 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

I love what you guys are doing.

He just added this to his ebay listing:
GUYS, THESE HEADLIGHTS ARE NOT STOLEN. I WORK IN A BODY SHOP AND SOMETIMES THESE THINGS COME AVAILABLE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CALL (818)469-1811. OF COURSE THEY WORK, THEY CAME OUT OF NEW CAR.
Old 03-16-2007 | 08:38 PM
Dro
Instructor

I dont understand how people steal these without opening the trunk???
Old 03-16-2007 | 09:07 PM
vbizguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by kw_1055
I love what you guys are doing.

He just added this to his ebay listing:
GUYS, THESE HEADLIGHTS ARE NOT STOLEN. I WORK IN A BODY SHOP AND SOMETIMES THESE THINGS COME AVAILABLE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CALL (818)469-1811. OF COURSE THEY WORK, THEY CAME OUT OF NEW CAR.
Yeah, sure they weren't stolen . Taking them from your place of work is no different than if you pryed them out of a parked car.

That C4S was totaled and the headlights survived??? Must have hit a telephone pole right down the middle.

Quick Reply: Stolen headlights on Ebay: Anything we can do??