Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can...get one!!

Put a bit over 30,000 mi on my '05 Carrera "S" It was agreat ride

One year ago I put my name on the wait list for the GT3 for which my dealer was only allocated 10 in Sept, I took delivery of the GT3 the first of this year.

Am I happy, you bet...it's as a Porsche should be, a bit raw yet comfortable to drive.
A bit over 2k so far and look forward to it's first Road Trip across the land next month of some 4k+ miles.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
LERA GT2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY!
Get one. It is that much more especial.
Later,
Old 03-27-2007, 11:02 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

If you can withstand the financial hit and you want it - then get it. Life is too short. Not to be a downer but three people I knew passed away in the last 6 months.
My wife's aunt was here visiting in August for a few days and had a headache the day she went home. Went to the doctor the next day and was diagnosed with brain cancer. She died Christmas Eve. Two weeks ago a guy my age (43) was on vacation with his wife and two sons and drowned in the ocean while swimming. Another 43 year old from my town died suddendly while coaching his high school basketball team.

I'm not saying to be irresponsible but if you want it get it. I'm trading in my 997S only a year after having it for a TT. Why? Because I want it. Like others have said the 997S is an amazing car but if your fortunate enough to be in a position to foot the bill then why not?

PS I would try to get a drive in a GT3 to make sure it will not drive you nuts as a DD LOL
Old 03-28-2007, 10:37 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We had 4 of them at a DE event last weekend at Cal Speedway and they looked great. Unfortunately I got stuck instructing a very pretty lady in her well-prepared GT2.....

Old 03-28-2007, 12:54 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT3 is kick *** looking but its like buying an Elise. Hard to drive it everday anywhere. That wing is like a magnet for all the pocket rocket crowd.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

If you have fallen in love with the looks of a GT3 why not get a C2S with the factory aerokit and PSE. A fair bit cheaper, looks the same to all but an enthusiast, sounds great and its in practical terms a better day to day driver than the GT3.

If however you intend to track it and havnt just fallen for the looks, then better save up... Sounds like you 'need' a GT3.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2S
If you have fallen in love with the looks of a GT3 why not get a C2S with the factory aerokit and PSE. A fair bit cheaper, looks the same to all but an enthusiast, sounds great and its in practical terms a better day to day driver than the GT3.

If however you intend to track it and havnt just fallen for the looks, then better save up... Sounds like you 'need' a GT3.
I want everything the GT3 is and represents, not just a cosmetic twin.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I keep reading reviews and looking at pictures and thinking "Well, if I move this here, and cut out that there, I could easily afford one."

The 997 GT3 is consuming me.
If the feeling is that strong then you need to stop reading opinions here and take one for a test drive. Try to find one where the engine is broken in so you can rev it freely to experience all it has to offer in terms of performance. You will be blown away.

Couple things:

- The performance of these cars is amazing and you will find it hard to go back to anything less
- Your only hope to successfully abandon the GT3 and go with a regular 997 is based on your personal opinion of comfort and daily drivability like dealing with potential bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic.
- On occasion your car will attract some attention at gas stations, parking lots, etc. When this happens to me I'm always friendly and answer whatever questions people have. It can feel a little awkward at times owning something that some people will never be able to own. I just wanted to mention this aspect of it because some people can't handle that.

I have another car for dealing with crappy traffic and hauling people/stuff so I never have to subject my GT3 to the typical "daily grind". I love the GT3 so much that I honestly don't know what car could ever replace it in a similar price range.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
mikey175
Racer

A White GT3 pasked next to me last week and I had the same EXACT reaction. Just check out some posts on the GT3 board and talk to friends, and you may come to the same conclusion I did. That chick at the bar may be smoking hot and quite a ride, but do I wanna deal with her every day, for two or three years?

Conclusion: if I could afford a GT3 as weekend toy, I'd hit that in a second.

-- M
Old 03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I want everything the GT3 is and represents
You need to buy one.

Just to contrast, here's my scenario: I agree with you that the GT3 is a terrific car and largely better for my needs, and in late '05 when I ordered my 997S, all I wanted was the hottest 911 I could get at that time, which is exactly what I got. Now, a year and a half into it, I still really like the 997S but the GT3 (and RS, more importantly) is totally awesome.

I check myself by noting that I still can't really drive my 997S around a track as fast as I should be, and that for me, a GT3 is pointless until I master what I already have. It's like jumping from Latin I (997S) to Vergil (GT3): you'll be able to get the gist of Vergil using your Latin I grammar skills and a dictionary, but there's SO much more there in Vergil that you'll enjoy with more practice. And I don't want the Vergil to just wash over me; rather, I want to ENGAGE in it. My driving skills (or lack thereof) preclude me from really engaging in a GT3.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 PM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
If the feeling is that strong then you need to stop reading opinions here and take one for a test drive. Try to find one where the engine is broken in so you can rev it freely to experience all it has to offer in terms of performance. You will be blown away.

Couple things:

- The performance of these cars is amazing and you will find it hard to go back to anything less
- Your only hope to successfully abandon the GT3 and go with a regular 997 is based on your personal opinion of comfort and daily drivability like dealing with potential bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic.
- On occasion your car will attract some attention at gas stations, parking lots, etc. When this happens to me I'm always friendly and answer whatever questions people have. It can feel a little awkward at times owning something that some people will never be able to own. I just wanted to mention this aspect of it because some people can't handle that.

I have another car for dealing with crappy traffic and hauling people/stuff so I never have to subject my GT3 to the typical "daily grind". I love the GT3 so much that I honestly don't know what car could ever replace it in a similar price range.

Good luck!

You are absolutely right.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey175
A White GT3 pasked next to me last week and I had the same EXACT reaction. Just check out some posts on the GT3 board and talk to friends, and you may come to the same conclusion I did. That chick at the bar may be smoking hot and quite a ride, but do I wanna deal with her every day, for two or three years?

Conclusion: if I could afford a GT3 as weekend toy, I'd hit that in a second.

-- M
LOL M, best analogy yet. I just saw my first GT3 yesterday in white.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

C2S with free X-51 --> That is my deal and the IDEAL car!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

You all make a strong case except, as of right now, I don't see myself affording one in any capacity that I find comfortable. Perhaps in a year or two but for now, it's nothing more than a distant dream.

Quick Reply: I saw my first 997 GT3 today...