Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport seats side bolster wrinkling after 40 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 AM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport seats side bolster wrinkling after 40 miles?

I just got this car 1 day ago and the side bolsters on the sports seats are already showing wrinkles?

Is there something i can do to prevent this from happening sooner than later?

I thought about leatherique products that will condition and soften leather so it does not crease as fast.

Sorry guys i guess i am pretty ****. LOL.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's fast. Other then keeping them conditioned or covered some how, there isn't much you can do.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I would stop driving it if I were you - that way you won't have a problem. The car won't get dirty either and you will never need to buy gas.

Seriously though, I would put conditioner on the bolster and leave it there for a while, then come back and clean off any residue. Sadly wrinkling is a fact of life and until someone develops Botox for leather seat bolsters you're stuck.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:16 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

It's going to happen. Get a good leather cleaner and conditioner and the signs of wear will be far less visible.

I have daily driven mine for two years and the seats are still spotless.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, stop worrying about it. I only get the sport seats in my cars, and I've never had more than a few wrinkles.

Unless you are driving like a maniac on the track, most wrinkles come from sitting on the bolsters getting in and out of the car. I plop down in the middle of the seat, and never sit on the edge of the bolster.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Seat side bolster wear&tear is a normal thing since I have my first Porsche in the 80's. Once a few years I asked myself while Porsche offers millions of interior options when we order our cars, why it never offers 'heavy duty side seat bolster' option... I would be the first one to cough up money for that option...

There is no easy fix that I heard.... Just be very careful when getting in & out of the car. Most wear&tear is from us grinding our body into/out/around of the seat. Also, keep the seat away from much direct sunlight (especially in Cabrio cars), avoid clother & pants with sharp objects (e.g. wallet in back pant pocket, cell phone belt clip, jacket with metal buckle), put conditioners on the seat as often as possible (especially in dry Winter and hot Summer).

Before, I know folks just replace the OEM seats with the cloth GT3 sport seat (those seats are tough and easy to clean), but then now our 997s have built-in airbag in the seats and it might be a DOT issue if we remove airbags from our cars?

If other folks have tips to share, please shed some light

With best regards,
Old 03-15-2007, 01:56 PM

1500 miles on mine and quite a few wrinkles already and I'm careful to always put the seat back prior to getting in/out; my E55 suffered the same problem shortly after new. BTW I am not over-weight at all.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:10 PM
oc997
Racer

I am trying to guage what is the best leather conditioner to use?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 PM
elh0102
Instructor

You don't see it when you're sitting in the seat, right? Seems the answer is simple.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Bum
Advanced

Originally Posted by oc997
My vote is for Sonus. I put it on my seats from day one and it has worked well so far.

Here is the thread where Sonus is discussed in more detail.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eather+cleaner

Again, pick and choose your favorite from the thousands of products out there.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Been using Hide Food for years on my Porsche interiors. You have to keep up with it. Most wear and tear is done when you are manuvering to sit in the seat. If you're a bit overweight it aggrivates the problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Originally Posted by oc997
I use Leatherique and highly recommend it: exceptional conditioning, smells great!

It is a bit messy and cumbersome to apply (need to leave the first product on the seats for a few hours) but it is really worth it

Did I mention it smells great? I cannot count the number of people who sat in the car and went: "wow, I love the smell of this leather!"
Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
SYMA
Pro

I've heard the Zaino leather product is quite good, never used it myself but hear good things. I do use Zaino Z5 Pro on the finish and swear it is the best protection.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 PM
andrewdr
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am anxiously waiting the day when i put my deposit down on the 08. I will say after looking at used ones, the seats do not hold up to those in my SC430. But the trade offs are worth it as the SC is very nice but is not a performer.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by andrewdr
I am anxiously waiting the day when i put my deposit down on the 08. I will say after looking at used ones, the seats do not hold up to those in my SC430. But the trade offs are worth it as the SC is very nice but is not a performer.
Well, another SC430 owner! I had a red/ecru one as well, but really wanted a true sports car, so I now have the 997 C2S you see as my avatar.

Yep, SC430's not a "performer" type car and seats can make anyone slide around in, not supportive. Sure, the hard top convertible is nice, but when I pulled the trigger, I went for a full coupe and not a rag top.

As for leather for Porsche, Zaino Z-10 is a perfect match for Lexus leather. Zaino's a bit too stong in the leather fragence. I found the Sonus works best by drawing out the nature tanning oil smells.

Leatherique is for serious leather restorations. Most leather today is treated and not open as old leathers are. I used Leatherique on an Austin Healy and it came out really well. I would not use Leatherique on todays leather unless it's very worn.

Hide Food is also mostly used for non-treated leathers. Another I do not use on todays leather that's treated (coated)

Sonus was developed by another "P" car owner who has original leather skins from Porsche still in the bags and used these to perfect the way a leather conditioner should work. Smells bad out of the bottle, but after application, open your dor and be greeted with the new Porsche leather smell once again.

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Sport seats side bolster wrinkling after 40 miles?