BoomC2S
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Would not open on my phone.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:09 AM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really looking for that link work the other day and ended up "winging it" on my bumper cover. Count me as someone who'd like to see that gallery fixed...
Old 04-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello everyone, this is Mike, sorry that the DIYs I made were deleted by Rennlist. in fact 80% of them are gone. They were stored in Rennlist photo albums. I don’t know why they got rid of that department. Most likely for storage issues. I will try to find old pictures and maybe redo them again in the forum side

The only thing that was hard on the bumper removal are the clips beside the headlights that you wouldn’t know were there.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:12 AM
JB335
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy on YouTube who has recently posted a couple of videos regarding removing and replacing his front bumper. His YouTube handle is "Auto Amateur". The YouTube video link (I hope this links!) is
Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 997.2 at least, the headlights don't need to come out.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:38 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JB335
There is a guy on YouTube who has recently posted a couple of videos regarding removing and replacing his front bumper. His YouTube handle is "Auto Amateur". The YouTube video link (I hope this links!) is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_AwShN5Qc
Removed and replaced mine about half a dozen times when doing a bumper conversion. This video is good, but felt it didn't quite cover the effort it can take to pull out the "tongue/spring clips" the first time. In fact, I could not find the moment he actually shows how to remove them, but they are in the video around 4:04 min mark at 11 oclock position..

The spring clip is removed with a hook tool. It's located between the headlight and frunk just behind where the bumper meets the metal fender. It needs to slide about a half inch to let go of the tongue inserts from the bumper. You want to insert the hook into the hole on the end of the tongue clip that is facing your frunk. You will pull that tongue clip towards the center of the car... Be CAREFUL with a sharp hook tool and your bumper. It takes quite a bit of muscle to pull these out the first time and if you are not prepared when it suddenly lets loose you can really scratch your car, stab yourself or fall backwards. After the first time it snaps out it becomes much easier to insert and remove again if necessary. Everything else is easy. I could remove and replace in about 20 minutes after a few times of practice when the car is already properly set up on jacks. Also I did not remove the wheel well liners. Loosen the bottom of the liner and insert something to keep it pried open. Use and extension tool to remove the small screw thats behind and underneath the side marker lights.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:15 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 205 Posts

I did it about six months ago following the thread in the DIY section.
It was easy. It took me about two hours to remove, clean radiators and re-install.
The hardest part is the headlights. Just make sure t get all of the screws in the fender liners
and underneath and don't force anything. Slow steady pressure.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:33 AM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

The link was a dead end for me too.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

The biggest challenge for me was the hose for the headlight sprayers. If you have these options, and your instructions don't show you how to deal with them, you may want to reconsider.

I had to replace one of my horns.... common failure for 2009... I did the repair from loosening it all up but could not get the hose off and therefore the bumper.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone took a screen dump on the gallery thread would like to read it...
Old 05-03-2018, 01:32 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Just recently did this on a 07 4S as i was installing a 3rd radiator.

From what i recall.
1. Remove headlights using factory tool.
2. Remove side orange lights using a plastic panel popper.
3. Remove front lower light assembly by wedging a plastic panel popper on the innermost portions.
4. Lift plastic cover under hood at the front and remove 3 screws.
5. Using a metal pick tool, slide the metal spring clips(hard to see but youll see a small hole on the metal clip) located where the bumper cover meets the body. Pull these towards the center of the car.
6. Remove front left and right wheels, and remove the front most wheel splash guards (5 screws).
7. Unplug the main electrical connector located behind the passenger side splash guard.
8. Unplug the washer hose by removing the blue clip on the drivers side behind the splash guard.
9. Youll see a screw near the washer hose, that connects the bumper to the body, remove this and repeat on passenger side.
10. Go to bottom of car, youll remove about ten screws which attach the bumper cover the body/splash guards.
11. Bumper should come off but make sure all electrical connectors on bulbs are disconnected.

PS Thanks to Carrera Mike for the third rad instructions!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The link, above, is very good. What I have discovered is that the factory workshop manual is extremely vague and quite useless.
I can't recall which car it was for but I once paid a large sum for a 'Bentley' manual. While the Hayne's manuals were very easy for me to understand and steps were lined out with tips and complete directions, I recall the procedure for rebuilding an engine from the Bentley manual was something along the lines of Step 1. Open the bonnet. Step 2. Remove the engine. Step 3.....

Frustrating.

Quick Reply: Removing 997 Front Bumper Cover?