Sponsored by:

New Car Detailing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Detailing Question

I expect to take delivery of my new 997 S (Bassalt Black) in the next couple of weeks. I will detail the car and have asked the dealer not to touch it. (Their car wash uses brushes.). After reading several posts on this board and others on the topic, the following is what I understand is the proper procedure for detailing (in abbreviated form):

1. Wash car
2. Clay it (even though its new)
3. Wash again
4. Apply Sealant (Klasse All In One)
5. Apply wax

Does this sound right? Appreciate the help.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to polish it prior to aplly the sealant (AIO). Have fun and congrat.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Klasse AIO isn't really a sealant, just a very very mild polish and synthetic 'wax'.

Suggest you top-off using Klasse Sealant Glaze, as this is a true sealant, and will provide the long term shine you're after.

There's a great how to online here, using the Klasse products: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/klass...wax-guide.html

After the sealant, you may or may not need the final wax coat - that's up to you.

A few points to note on your proposed detailing.

Only work on a cool car in the shade.

Use a soap gun for max suds - it mixes your fave car shampoo with water from the hose for a soapy mix that really cleans the car.

Use a real wool mitt for the washing, and only wash in straight lines, no circular action to avoid swirls. Rinse mitt after every panel in a large rinse bucket.

Rinse the car after each panel/area to get soap suds off the car - do a final rinse with no hose nozzle, letting the water sheet off the car - this reduces water droplets, and avoids water spotting.

Use plenty of lube with the clay, and dry off extra lube with a MF towel

Washing after clay is optional - I find I don't need to.

Buy a Porter Cable polisher and pads - you'll find it much easier to polish, wax, buff - and with a black car you'll need it!

Best of luck.

Oh, and a canopy is a great investment if you need to detail in sunny conditions!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would get a pro like Moe from Glistening Perfection to do the whole car both inside and out. On my car the leather was dry and it looked great after he put the conditioner on it. He does alot of new car prep, so he knows the routine..Take care....GR
Old 03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
9elf S
Instructor

OC Ben, no comment?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 9elf S
OC Ben, no comment?
I've written pages and pages of detailing comments. You know where to find them.

Oh, and congratulations on your pending delivery.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
9elf S
Instructor

OC Ben, that's the problem. There are pages and pages of it. After reading your posts, again, I realized the answer was contained in post #48 of your "Paint Care & Car Washing" thread. What I was missing, and confirmed by cdodkin (many thanks), was the sealant step using Klasse Sealant Glaze, which comes after the AIO and before the waxing. So the procedure is:

1. Wash car
3. Wash again
4. Apply polish (e.g., Klasse All In One)
4. Apply Sealant (e.g., Klasse Sealant Glaze)
5. Apply wax (e.g., P21S Carnuba Wax)

I was slow on the uptick, but I think I got it.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 PM
OCBen
Banned

OC Ben, that's the problem. There are pages and pages of it. After reading your posts, again, I realized the answer was contained in post #48 of your "Paint Care & Car Washing" thread.
Well, that was your problem, you were looking in the wrong thread.

If you had looked in the Waxing & Basic Detailing thread you would have found it in Post #18.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

i think Cdodkin did a pretty darn good job in answering the question in a succint but detailed manner, and by the third post! autopia-carcare.com is second to none.

have fun detailing, 9elf
Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
i think Cdodkin did a pretty darn good job in answering the question in a succint but detailed manner, and by the third post! autopia-carcare.com is second to none.

have fun detailing, 9elf
Thank you sir!

Always try to inform and educate without the attitude.

You will however get the occasional burt of British sarcasm, but that's the price you pay.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by oalvarez
i think Cdodkin did a pretty darn good job in answering the question in a succint but detailed manner...
I do too. That's why I didn't bother to reply in this thread at all, as I felt the question was answered quite adequately and quite thoroughly by Chris.

It wasn't until he called me out here wanting to know my detailing comments that I told him that he knew where to find them.

I can't spoon feed everyone who wants information that they can easily find themselves. Not all of us can go through the trouble of taking the time to detail all the steps each and every time someone wants to know them. I'm sure Chris will say it was no trouble at all and that it was a pleasure to do so. And so I'm actually glad when someone steps in and answers questions like these, as it gets quite tedious doing it over and over and over each time someone asks me, usually in PMs.

After a while, it dawned on me that it would be much easier to provide the links to these threads in my sig so people can help themselves to the information they're looking for.

Why are you attempting to try to show me up with this post of yours?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Wash car
3. Wash again
4. Apply polish (e.g., Klasse All In One)
4. Apply Sealant (e.g., Klasse Sealant Glaze)
5. Apply wax (e.g., P21S Carnuba Wax)
I wouldn't bother putting wax on top of the sealant unless you're prepping for a concours event. Sealants take the place of wax, and are for more durable and glossy than waxes (generally). Carnauba waxes, like the P21S, add depth but they only last a few weeks. Most people prefer gloss and slickness, which is what the sealant excels at. You're better off putting two coats of the sealant on, instead of carnauba wax that wears off quickly. Also, although the Klasse products are good, they can't touch Zaino, especially since the new Klasse AIO formulation isn't as good as the previous one. The new Zaino Z-AIO appears to be much better than Klasse based on recent testimonials.

For detailing questions and information, there is no better place that I know of than autopia.org . That's where all the professional detailers hang out.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 911Dave
For detailing questions and information, there is no better place that I know of than autopia.org . That's where all the professional detailers hang out.
Gets my vote everytime!

That's where I got my start!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Klasse with Pinnacle Souveran on top is unbelievable.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:28 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Klasse with Pinnacle Souveran on top is unbelievable.
Especially on dark cars.

Quick Reply: New Car Detailing Question