Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you get any "deals" on a new Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Myronm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you get any "deals" on a new Porsche?

I'm attempting to buy my first Porsche since 1974. I live in the San Diego area. I want to get a C4S TIP Cab. It has a MSRP of about $118,000 and I plan to purchase, not lease. I don't know why but I feel like I have few choices.

1-is there anywhere you can go and get deep discounts on Porches?
2-does anyone have any experiences with the online companies? (new only)
3-any tips on how to do this in a smart way or do I just make offers like any other car?
4-I can easily travel. Can I do better by buying a convertible in other state?

The problem is it appears that at least here any great looking combo car goes quickly.

I'm new at this. If I am posting this in the wrong area I apologize. Please tell me where to post if thats the case. thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
rob020880
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in the market for a 4S and was going to go order it new Friday. The dealer told me he would go a max of 3k off, I think I will get him down to 4k off. But before I go and order mine I will tag along for this one, because who knows, there may be some dealer out there looking to do better. By the way I am in Chicago and this is what they are telling me. I guess the allocations for 4s orders are very low. My dealer told me there are a total of about 20 cars for the enrtire Chicago area for the year. That seems low to me.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Take about 30 minutes and page through the forum here or do a search for "discount" or the like. You'll find dozens of recent posts where this is discussed - great tips for how to negotiate. Short answer - I ordered my 997S with very minimal options in October and got 9% off MSRP (meaning if I bought a loaded car the discount might have been even more).
Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your discount can also be based on your market location and time of year...

Contact a few dealers out there - one-way plane fare and drive your baby back to Sand Dog...

Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
bdmason
Instructor

Originally Posted by RonCT
Take about 30 minutes and page through the forum here or do a search for "discount" or the like. You'll find dozens of recent posts where this is discussed - great tips for how to negotiate. Short answer - I ordered my 997S with very minimal options in October and got 9% off MSRP (meaning if I bought a loaded car the discount might have been even more).
I'm also in the market for a new p-car . Ron I think we live within 100 miles of each other ,. Could you tell me where you got that 9% discount. I bought the one I have at Chambers in Boston . They were the only place that had one available before that summer. (2005)
Old 03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

you can check each dealers inventory on line making easy to find what you want.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Myronm
Intermediate

Wow, I am amazed you got 9% off! The most I would expect is about 4-5k.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

C2S vs C4-anything is night and day difference at the moment regarding discounting. The cars availability is drying up quickly, and discounts are going to reflect that. My advice- if you REALLY don't need a C4S/C4 go for a C2S. Tied in with the need of a Tip- you're up against minor discounting.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Myronm
Intermediate

Why is availability drying up? Are they still producing these?

I love the extra width of a C4 and hope to keep this a long time. I mean, am I correct that they C4 is wider than a C2? Also, I like the idea of 4 wheel drive althought I'm not experienced enough to know if that is a good decision or not.

Also, are you saying that Tips are in higher demand? I thought that I would never do a TIP, in fact, when I was comparing this to an M6 I was thinking 'Porche = manul" vs. BmW = automatic" (or SMG)... I just thought it was a bad idea for resale to get a TIP. But after a few more demo drives with the Tip, and because of the traffic around here, I changed my mind.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:27 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Pioneer P were offering $10K discount off of '06's a week or so ago. Check it out.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Hartley
Intermediate

Be careful buying out of state or even not at your servicing dealer for that matter. If you ever have a grey area warranty problem you will almost surely have more pull at the location where you also purchased the car. Saving a few $$$$ is not worth the risk or possible aggravation in my books.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Myronm
Intermediate

yes, I agree. If out of state it would be an authorized "real" dealer, but I get your point for sure.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

From my understanding, Porsche isn't giving any real definitive idea as to why they're not producing that many. I had a client who wanted a C4 Cabriolet, we did the deal- but when our next allocation came up, no car was available. A person in charge of orders from PAG called out client to confirm that only but a handful of cars are going to be produced for the next 3 months. We put him in an 06 instead. And I know we're not alone in this boat of wanting C4/C4S coupes or cabriolets to sell.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM
wsmknicks
Intermediate

Look for a new '06 - the discounts are very strong on these cars.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:33 PM
rob020880
Intermediate

I bet the prodution line for the c4s is clogged with turbos, they make more money on the turbo and are trying to meet the strong demand. Thats my theory.

Quick Reply: Can you get any "deals" on a new Porsche?