Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Dension install -- different fiber optic termination...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Help with Dension install -- different fiber optic termination...

The board's dension activity is here, so I thought I'd tap into the common wisdom...

So last night I'm installing my group buy Dension into my 2003 c2 w/ cd changer. I've tapped power from the cd changer harness, and I've extracted the fiber optic cables from the cd changer. I get them out of the plug, and I find something I wasn't expecting: the terminations are different than that supplied by Dension. Here's a pic:

Has anyone seen one of these before? It mates to the female termination on the fiber coming out of the dension, but the male-to-female connector (supplied by Dension) does not fit. That connector is necessary so that these stay together.

Eric @ bumperplugs hasn't seen this before and suggested I contact Dension support directly. There's an email sitting in their inbox, but I doubt I'll get a response 'til Monday.

Any wisdom out there? thanks
Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Hartley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sure looks like the Yazaki connector that comes in the kit.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Hartley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should also post a photo of the other connector with the cap removed so the differences are more clear.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:02 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That's what I thought too until I tried to use the connectors, and they didn't work. The mated terminators were too long for the connectors. I'm referring to the black plastic housings that you snap around the mated terminaters to keep them from falling apart.

Here's a pic I've found on the 'net.

The yellow portion is the female temination on the dension. The green is the expected male termination. This is the same termination that is on the dension-supplied fiber optic cables. It is different, both in total length and location of the "rings", from the ones on my car, so it won't fit into the supplied connectors.

I'm away from the car right now, but I'll post a picture later of the parts side-by-side for comparison.

Quick Reply: Help with Dension install -- different fiber optic termination...