Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed bypass vs PSE on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone have a video w/ audio of the PSE exhaust? I just went and watched the fabspeed video of the bypass pipes, sounds sexy to me.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
IMO...

-PSE is a REAL dual quad exhaust system.
-PSE sounds is unique... ALL Porsche.
-PSE does not void warranty.
-PSE equals Porsche value (why compromise the integrity of your Porsche?)
-PSE on/off button or run open ALL the time.
PSE adds no power and sheds no weight. I fail to see that as a value.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 PM

The value is the car sounds better/louder and you can turn it on and off at will. I did not order this option but now wish I did
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a short clip of before-and-after PSE sounds (factory setup, not modified to always on).

Before and After PSE

The PSE sounds even more dramatic, when modified to always on, in person. It has this unique 'rumbling/barking/roaring' sound that might very well be the future signature exhaust note of Porsche. Like the Aston and Ferrari, they have their signature exhaust note that people can tell without looking.

I once read in the Panorama magazine that Porsche has a whole department and a crew of engineers just focus on acoustic. Like how the gear whines, engine sounds, exhaust notes, etc. I am sure they spent quite some time engineering the unique PSE sound-charactertics on all Porsche models.

With best regards,
Old 05-18-2007, 09:56 AM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes really loud? I would assume so. I am considering exhaust but think $2000+ is ridiculous. $300 is almost free Porsche wise and if its bearable I might give them a shot.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't consider bypass if you plan to drive the car in town, in your neighborhood, near the police station, by any state or local police cruisers, etc. Do consider bypass if you have a track-dedicated car that you trailer to various places. But realize that some tracks have sound limits - I think 5 or 6 cars were pulled off the track at the last PCA DE at Lime Rock.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
F1 Kevin
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Don't consider bypass if you plan to drive the car in town, in your neighborhood, near the police station, by any state or local police cruisers, etc. Do consider bypass if you have a track-dedicated car that you trailer to various places. But realize that some tracks have sound limits - I think 5 or 6 cars were pulled off the track at the last PCA DE at Lime Rock.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking

How much is it to purchase PSE? Any used ones ever pop up?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:46 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck finding a used PSE system...

Sunset has the PSE cans for $693.00 each
and you'll need the REAL dully exhaust tips at $170.53 each
The total system without the on/off switch is $1,727.06

I hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Kevin
Are the Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes really loud? I would assume so. I am considering exhaust but think $2000+ is ridiculous. $300 is almost free Porsche wise and if its bearable I might give them a shot.
By pass pipes are just straight exhaust tubeing....no muffler. Yes the car is loud this way. If you just bolt on Fabspeed mufflers then you get a much better sound that is not too loud....with Fabspeed mufflers on my car I feel this is the way the car should sound from the factory.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:45 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen several used PSE around - can't remember if it was here in the classifieds, at 6speed, or eBay (or a combination). Some were "new, never installed" (reconsidered), and others were used (had OEM, switched to PSE, changed mind...). Keep your eyes open - if you are patient, one should turn up.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Carrera 69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Fabspeed mufflers, headers, and cat bypass. Saved alot of weight and sounds awesome!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does not make a bit of sense is adding another 20 lbs to the *** of a car that is already *** heavy.
porsche obviously sweated the details to come up with a 3,075 lb car
I like vrooooom vroooom as much as the next guy, but a lighter weight fabspped makes all the sense in the world.
put an MP3 of the pse in your cd player if the sound is so enticing.
me, I'd rather ditch weight than add it, any day
Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not this debate again... SUGAR!

No basic aftermarket bolt on such as an exhaust is going to give you any sort of power advantage measured by the butt dyno meter over a stock unit and this is true for naturally aspirated engines.

It is for sound and looks and that goes along way in my book to enhancing the driving/ownership experience, The PSE unit sounds great and it is a true Porsche part that will not void your warranty (PERIOD). IMO the PSE is insanely good and it is the only way to GO, GO! hahaha never mind the extra HP and more weight!

You say the PSE weights more, and then I submit most here will never get the advantage on the street regardless. My justification for the PSE system is NOT power gains or reducing weight… IT IS TRUE PORSCHE SOUND WITH A TRUE PORSCHE PART!

The best part is that it gets much better over time. Sorry but MY butt dyno is not that sensitive and I am not going to go out there and say that I can feel other exhaust system provide HP, which is ridiculous. I would like to see an INDEPENDENT dyno expert take before and after dyno runs before I believe any gains are possible. PSE is like the MOEN commercial, buy it for looks (sound), and buy it for life (warranty)! You feel good about your purchase and so DO I. Don’t bet against that 997 with the PSE because you feel you have more power according to an eye chart and a butt meter.

Porsche themselves claim zero HP gain. If they could get extra HP gains, I am sure they would and it would cost an extra grand or two above the current price of the PSE.

PSE is, IMHO, one of the top 3 best options you can get. It is one of those things on a car that once you have it, you know you will never ever be able to live without it again.

The new plenum issue debate is over the horizon, stay tune!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed bypass vs PSE on all the time