Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on champion f77 package

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007 | 02:37 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by Ron Adair
Mike/A.W.E. -

I just looked on your site and noticed that your exhaust systems are for manual transmissions only. What are the options on a 997S tiptronic?
Same for Tip cars.

There is no difference.
Old 03-01-2007 | 02:39 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Same for Tip cars.

There is no difference.
Thanks... some might not ask the question and it could cost you guys some sales.
Old 03-01-2007 | 02:41 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Ron-

Where did you get those headlight covers for the 997?

Is that from GMG?
Old 03-01-2007 | 02:45 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Thanks for posting Mike...I know where I am going.

I hope to earn your business.
Old 03-01-2007 | 02:45 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

Ron-

Where did you get those headlight covers for the 997?

Is that from GMG?
They do look like they have a bit of a blue cast to them. Must've been the angle of the early morning light.

The headlights are covered, but only with the Venture brand clear bra material applied by Premier Mobile.
Old 03-01-2007 | 03:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

So, to somewhat paraphrase the long thread Mike at AWE referred to...

Expect gains of mid 20s to mid 30s with headers, cats, and mufflers. X51 adds 26 so it appears you can match or exceed that for a fraction of the cost.

Weight savings is 10 lbs net (note, headers are 2 lbs heavier probably due to beefier construction and equal length pipes)

Dyno runs depend on many factors, but look at the net change and not necessarily the maximum number. You might be running "low" because of fuel, temperature, airflow, etc. but the delta should show you what the improvement is.

AWE's products are backed by warranty and he offers at 30 day "no questions asked" refund policy. So, if you put it on, dyno, and don't like the results, send it back.
Old 03-01-2007 | 03:19 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by RonCT
Dyno runs depend on many factors, but look at the net change and not necessarily the maximum number. You might be running "low" because of fuel, temperature, airflow, etc. but the delta should show you what the improvement is.
AMEN!

Ron brings up a very good point.

Too many get caught up in which dyno reads high, or which reads low. Can someone tell me why that matters most?

For us, it's all about the before and after.

However, we don't use it just for that. We also use it as a tuning tool. We can simulate many different running conditions. Perfect for dialing in new software.
Old 03-01-2007 | 03:22 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

AMEN!

Ron brings up a very good point.

Too many get caught up in which dyno reads high, or which reads low. Can someone tell me why that matters most?

For us, it's all about the before and after.

However, we don't use it just for that. We also use it as a tuning tool. We can simulate many different running conditions. Perfect for dialing in new software.
That is precisely why I would show up, do the baseline, do the mods, then get the answer. Nobody can argue with that situation (but I'm sure some still will).
Old 03-01-2007 | 03:33 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I haven't made my appointment yet (planning for about 30 days from now), but the local Porsche shop has a dyno and wants to see the before and after. I know they don't have the most sophisticated system, nor do they have the largest fan system in the world, but I bet I'll have a good idea of the delta unless something really strange happens to the weather in the 2.5 hours of install time (ie: Temperature goes up 20 degrees and 20% humidity).
Old 03-01-2007 | 03:34 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
(but I'm sure some still will).
It will never change....

It's a good thing, though. Keeps us on our toes!
Old 03-02-2007 | 12:14 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

So, to somewhat paraphrase the long thread Mike at AWE referred to...

Expect gains of mid 20s to mid 30s with headers, cats, and mufflers. X51 adds 26 so it appears you can match or exceed that for a fraction of the cost.

Weight savings is 10 lbs net (note, headers are 2 lbs heavier probably due to beefier construction and equal length pipes)

AWE's products are backed by warranty and he offers at 30 day "no questions asked" refund policy. So, if you put it on, dyno, and don't like the results, send it back.
I don't doubt the 20-30 HP claim but the X-51 26hp is conservative and is more like 40 hp.... also the X-51 gives you more torque "under the curve" which is something the bolt ons dont do as effectively at each engine RPM as X51 does.
Old 03-02-2007 | 07:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Granted, the X51 has other benefits, so how about this combination... The internals, software, and intake of the X51 with some lightweight / low restriction headers, cats, and mufflers

I think many of us could not swing the X51, so modifications like these are a way for us to make up some lost performance opportunity.
Old 03-02-2007 | 08:09 AM
cobra06
Pro

Granted, the X51 has other benefits, so how about this combination... The internals, software, and intake of the X51 with some lightweight / low restriction headers, cats, and mufflers

I think many of us could not swing the X51, so modifications like these are a way for us to make up some lost performance opportunity.
Don't forget the intake plenums which add 27 HP

Link: Air intake plenums
Old 03-27-2007 | 12:56 PM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

There is an extensive article in the current issue of Excellence Magazine on Champion F77 package. The gain in static PEAK horsepower or torque was very modest(<2, if I remember correctly). However, The increases in these parameters across the entire RPM range were greater. On the track, the F77 was ~2 seconds faster than the stock.
Old 03-27-2007 | 01:19 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Yah, only thing to remember on the F77 package is that the ECU reflash _will_ void your Porsche warranty... other than that, the airbox looks SPECTACULAR - if not a bit pricey... :-)

I think that the best first move around here for a cheap bast_rd like me - X51 headers from Suncoast to cover the "dirty" side... I'll worry about the "clean" side (and I really love the Champion airbox) later this summer.

I'm not worried about hp or torque gains - I'm simply trying to free up my 3.8 to make it rev more easily.

-don

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on champion f77 package