OT - Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:06 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts
Default OT - Mini Cooper S

Off topic - so read at your own risk!

Have an '07 Mini Cooper S on the boat. Purchasing it so that I have an alternative to the 997TT for things like groceries, airport parking, etc. (Audi is going to my place in NC).

Initial thoughts from a quick test drive:
- '07 is faster than '06
- Feels very quick
- Handles as expected: great
- Sort of forgot how crappy front wheel drive really is under hard driving!
- Very nicely appointed, but overly gadgety
- Pretty pricey for what it is, but to counter I got my nearly completely stripped (but S of course)

Seems like it will do the trick as a second car.

I'd like to hear the comments of other 997 folks who have driven the Mini.

Sorry in advance if this post offends anyone. Just chatting about cars.

Tim
Old 02-24-2007, 05:18 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I will shortly be in the market for a 'hot hatch' (See my thread about driving the 997 in the winter) and am curious if you or any others test drove and compared the Cooper S to the new GTi, Si, and/or Mazdaspeed 3.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:21 PM
tstafford
Race Car

I briefly thought about the Si. You definitely get more car for the money (on paper). That said, I just couldn't get fired up about a Honda.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

i don't own a third car (just yet) but a Cooper S would seem like a decent alternative. why it doesn't really work for me? it still only has two doors and not very much cargo space if passengers must come along (if not, then ample cargo room). with all due respect, i don't care much for the Honda no matter how much value it offers, i'd rather own a VW at that price point. hec, call me crazy, i'm actually thinking about a 4door pickup truck as a beater car (i'd never worry about it). that or a 4 door used mercedes/bmw or a short-term lease on a VW sedan. we do have a Rover so that somewhat negates the need for a pickup but it's still a thought.

i have a Porsche for spirited driving, i don't need another small car in its place.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:39 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tstafford
I briefly thought about the Si. You definitely get more car for the money (on paper). That said, I just couldn't get fired up about a Honda.
Honda actually builds some decent budget driver's cars these days. They aren't the same soulless appliances they were 15 years ago.

But I agree, especially when you consider of the heritage of the Mini and GTi.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:41 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Can you get a GTi in the low $20s?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Can you get a GTi in the low $20s?
I don't know how dealers are discounting them but most seem to be in the mid-20s with a few options.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Interesting - I was very price sensitive. That's why I ordered. Wanted as few options as I could order. Especially since there is no such thing as a discount on a Mini. I think I ended up with $850 in options!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:50 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Interesting - I was very price sensitive. That's why I ordered. Wanted as few options as I could order. Especially since there is no such thing as a discount on a Mini. I think I ended up with $850 in options!
Did you get the limited slip differential?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:54 PM
tstafford
Race Car

No. I gave serious thought to LSD and Sport Suspension. Both are $500. (In fact, so is DSC - BMW version of PSM). I got none of the above. My thinking:

DSC - The car is front wheel drive and only 172bhp. How sideways can I get it? (Live in Nashville so snow is no consideration)

Sport Suspension - What can they really do for $500?

LSD - The toughest choice. In the end, I set a goal of cheap, cheap, cheap. Figure if I want to really get on a car the TT or the RS4 is the choice anyway. I hope this wasn't a mistake.

Tim
Old 02-24-2007, 06:19 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently sold my Cooper S when we moved. and got a 997S Cab as the replacement. Like many of us, I've been in and out of a couple of dozen cars over the years, including 8 former Porsches. The Mini is the ONLY car I really miss!

It was my commuter vehicle for 26 months, and routinely won the morning contest over 5 other good choices.
* Great fun to drive
* Carries speed easily. ( I found myself not braking befor a corner wayyyy too often, just because I could.
* The go-kart analagy is true
* Creature comforts were better than other econoboxes and priced within reach
* Easy and affordable to mod. gazillions of after-market parts and goodies.
* A feel good car to be in.
* Giant sunroof is almost as good as a cab.
* Purchased new for $31k, sold 26 months later with 19k mi for $26k
Only complaint was the revs had to be just right at any start, the Supercharger lacked low end torque, and it was too easy for my wife to stall it. The new Turbo S is said to have cured this problem and is much less hesitant off the line.
Still a contender for the next car. Great choice.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about selling/trading in my 328ci for a Cooper or Cooper S. How is the luggage space, pretty much nil unless you fold the rear seats down? On the track do they tend to understeer or oversteer as stock?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

You can upgrade the pulley if u want for additional cheap power. When I was looking to buy one a year ago, a lot of people complained about spinning wheels on the track and while turning corners, so they really appreciated that MINI came out w/ a LSD. Sports Suspension on the Mini is a night and day difference. But the S should already come w/ the sports suspension, or it did in the past. The base model had the $500 option. Consider the Xenons since they look cool on the car.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Sport suspension is a $500 option on an S. As far as I could tell, it consists of stiffer sway bars. Not to say that wouldn't make a big difference.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Coming from your 997TT, any car will be too slow for you.

Had a Cooper S for 3 years. Lots of fun. Luggage space can accomodate about 4-5 full grocery bags. Rear seats are more roomy than 911. Cornering is its strong point.

Quick Reply: OT - Mini Cooper S