Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car cover for garaged cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007 | 12:44 AM
Paladin
Advanced

Default car cover for garaged cab

I'm realizing that I'll be keeping my beloved cab in the garage through the crappy Northeast US winter.

I like the Dustop as the cover I'd like to keep it under, but I'm worried about lint on the fabric top. Would anybody with a cab that they keep under a car cover care to share their experience?

Specifically:
1) Is the Dustop inner layer appropriate for a cab top vis a vis - lint on the fabric top?
2) If not, then what cover would be appropriate?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2007 | 12:51 AM
OCBen
Banned

I don't believe there would be a problem using the Dustop on a canvas top. The inner lining is not made of felt or cotton like those others that will create a lint problem for you.

Maybe some here can share their experience for you.
Old 02-12-2007 | 01:26 AM
jsmy1
Track Day

Default California Covers (Noah)

I use the above cover on my 997 Cab and don't have any issues at all. Never leaves anything behind on the top...
Old 02-12-2007 | 02:08 AM
Paladin
Advanced

I use the above cover on my 997 Cab and don't have any issues at all. Never leaves anything behind on the top...
I like the NOAH option, it seems to be the Cadillac of car covers for indoor/outdoor applications. I may end up with it if the Dustop doesn't fit the bill. Good to know that the NOAH is a viable option.

I was thinking of indoor use only, but with the NOAH I could bring it with me and have the option for outdoor use. Something to think about... Thanks.

Last edited by spottash; 02-12-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2007 | 12:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I prefer the softer flannel lined covers but with a cabriolet with the softtop up it will attract lint like crazy. I wound up buying a special exterior cover that is not of cotton, and thus will never leave lint. I saw another guy's cabriolet one morning at a PCA event and knew what cover he uses,--it was absolutely covered with lint from his cover. He might as well have left it uncovered.
Old 02-12-2007 | 01:01 PM
Paladin
Advanced

Just spoke with the knowledgeable and helpful Susan at Car Cover World and got an interesting lesson on the application of current car cover technologies.

The Dustop will not leave any lint on a ragtop, it is a little heavier than other covers but still only weighs 8 pounds. It's their best seller.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Dustop and carry bag along with samples of the full line of Covercraft fabrics. I'll report back on my experience.

Thanks All.
Old 02-12-2007 | 07:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spottash
Just spoke with the knowledgeable and helpful Susan at Car Cover World and got an interesting lesson on the application of current car cover technologies.

The Dustop will not leave any lint on a ragtop, it is a little heavier than other covers but still only weighs 8 pounds. It's their best seller.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Dustop and carry bag along with samples of the full line of Covercraft fabrics. I'll report back on my experience.

Thanks All.
thanks,--will be good to get a first hand report on it.
Old 02-13-2007 | 01:36 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm with Dan. I like the softness - just put a lint-free towel or large waffle-weave on the top before putting the cover on. It keeps the lint off and you still get the benefits of a soft cover. Been using one on my cab for years with no problem.
Old 02-13-2007 | 01:38 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops. Meant to mention using an inexpensive light weight thermal blanket on the top before the cover goes on. That's my latest incarnation, having moved from towel to waffle to thermal.
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Great idea! Will try something like that myself. Time to buy another nice cover,--or alter one of my older ones. These 911s have GROWN over the years...
Old 02-18-2007 | 09:30 PM
Paladin
Advanced

Default Dustop arrived 2 days ago...

and I put it on my immaculately clean p-car.

This is my first experience using a car cover so I don't have anything to compare it to, but overall, I'm pleased with the Dustop. I hope that I feel the same when I take it off in 4-6 weeks.

Initial impressions:
- Quality - Very good. The stitching is neat and clean and there are no tears or apparent unevenness in the fabric. There are dimples in the fabric like those on a golf ball and they are consistent in size and at regular intervals. Wherever there are seams they are sewn neat and flat. All of the fabric panels overlap and have multiple stitching that appears to be for reinforcement and flatness.

- Appearance - Excellent. The light tan color is neutral and attractive. There are no logos on the fabric. There is a small (about 1.5"x.5") tag of some sort of pleather with the word Dustop embossed. The tag is on the outside and in no way interferes with use or presents a threat to the car finish. There is a printed designation of the front of the cover which helps in its orientation when laying it out on the car.

- Fit - Excellent. It's form fitting but not so tight as to pull against itself or the car body. It's taught enough to stay put and not slide if a breeze passes or a person touches it, but loose enough not to cause its own damage. The side mirror pockets are in perfect position. Every surface, including below the front spoiler, starting all the way under the car just in front of the wheels, and the rear 'diffuser'? starting just behind the rear wheels is covered. The cover stops just a few inches above the ground.

- Softness - Very Good. The inside and the outside of the cover feel equally soft to touch. The fabric does have a degree of stiffness to it. It has a quality similar to a piece of paper which can stand on its edge in your hand before it falls over. I'll have to report back on whether it's soft enough after it comes off and I inspect the p-car finish.

- Protection - Very Good. It feels like it has decent tensile strength but little puncture resistance. While I can't describe it as thick, there is a degree of protection offered against casual bumps or scrapes to the p-car's finish.

- Ease of use - Excellent. It took me 2 minutes to put it on. The next day I did take it off on one side and flipped it over to open the door and release the park brake. It was a snap. The weight seems ideal. Heavy enough to have substance and stay where you put it, light and thin enough to be easily handled.

Over all I'm very pleased with my purchase. I'll follow up with pictures when I can. And let you know how it turns out when I take it off.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-19-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2007 | 09:51 AM
TomFromCT
Instructor

I used a Dustop for two winters on my 986 Boxster for garage storage. I had no problems at all. It was very easy to get on and off, left no marks that I could find, and yet seemed substantial enough to protect the car against any unintended damage when moving around near the car.
My 997 is a daily driver, but if I was going to not drive it for long periods, I would do the Dustop again.
Old 02-19-2007 | 11:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Please provide a link to the model you chose.
Old 02-19-2007 | 12:33 PM
Paladin
Advanced

My choice:
Dustop

Feature comparison charts:
Outdoor covers
Indoor covers

Hope this helps!
Old 02-19-2007 | 08:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

thanks for the links. Let's see, I put the Dustof on first, and then my exterior cover, I'll be good for all conditions!

Quick Reply: car cover for garaged cab