Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost switched to 997TT... HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007 | 12:15 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Keista
If your decision is based purely on performance, it's been said before.....It ain't the car, it's the driver. A great driver in a mediocre car can blow the doors off a mediocre driver in a great car.
This is an interesting thread, guys. I know that the 'itsnotthecaritsthedriver' thing has been said before and often, but I wonder how true that is for non-tracking drivers.

For example, by racing standards, I consider myself a mediocre driver; despite my upbringing on the Autobahn, on a race track most or all of you would leave me behind in much lesser cars. I'm definitely a 5/10 (or lower) in that environment. But that's a race track and I have never gone there.

On public roads and especially within city limits, I think I have significantly less room to grow if I want to obey the traffic rules. By now I have figured out that I can take most curves at exactly the speed limit; I know my brakes and I know my optimal shifts; I've also optimized my 0-40 and 0-45 and 0-50 and 0-55 acceleration (and that's where speed limits stop me).

So if I were a non-tracker and if I were Chris, the switch to the TT could add a dimension that PDE can not: a faster acceleration. YES, I KNOW, the 911 is not a muscle car and so on, but if you like maximum acceleration AND love the 997 AND have the money, then why not switch? PDE is great, but I would think that at some point its benefits cannot be experienced in everyday driving anymore.

Of course, I may be completely wrong. The only reason I have been thinking about this is because I have been pondering over the same issue. I just LOVE the turbo's ***. But I also hate its rims and also really love my convertible, so as long as the turbo comes as a coupe only, I'm not switching anyway.
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:18 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
I had a turbo in my mirrors at a time trial event. We were both new to time
trials but he could not pass me. I saw him go too deep in one corner. I have
a lot of kart racing time so I should be faster. He will pass me some day, so I will keep
looking in the mirrors.
Paul
Old 02-13-2007 | 03:34 AM
Hartley
Intermediate

I wasn't talking from a monetary standpoint. As long as you have the means, if you want a car bad enough then you should go out and buy it.

Regarding it isn't the car, it's the driver, almost surely anyone would be faster in a 997TT than a 997S and that's more than enough reason to buy a 997TT.
Old 02-13-2007 | 09:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
This is an interesting thread, guys. I know that...

Of course, I may be completely wrong. The only reason I have been thinking about this is because I have been pondering over the same issue. I just LOVE the turbo's ***. But I also hate its rims and also really love my convertible, so as long as the turbo comes as a coupe only, I'm not switching anyway.
Wolfgang - the GT3 wheels look GREAT on a Turbo. IIRC, someone recently posted a pic of their 997TT on the Turbo Forum with GT3 wheels installed. It was AWESOME looking!
Old 02-13-2007 | 01:31 PM
jebia
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm a 2 wheel drive snob. I've owned a a '97 993tt , sure, it was faster that my 98 911 but lacked the feeling of a 2wd 911. It lacked being able to steer the car out of a turn with the rear wheels and the road feel (lightness) thru the steering wheel.

I could have bought a 997tt but chose the 977 careera S because it was 2wd. To me the essense of a 911 will always be 2wd.

Jon
Old 02-13-2007 | 09:04 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
Wolfgang - the GT3 wheels look GREAT on a Turbo. IIRC, someone recently posted a pic of their 997TT on the Turbo Forum with GT3 wheels installed. It was AWESOME looking!
Thanks, Tim, yes, you are right, much much better. I'm surprised that they are not offered as an option on the website.

Quick Reply: Almost switched to 997TT... HELP ME!