Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STUPID SPEEDING TICKET - WTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't believe you are going to roll over. Who said there are hassles with court? Unless things are different there in MA (and I don't believe they are), when you send it in "Not guilty" they can do one of two things. Either send something back that says "we reviewed your case and are throwing it out" or "we reviewed your case and are setting a court date". If the latter, you still have the option to pay at that point. So what do you have to lose, 39 cents and 2 minutes?

Instead of helping the community push back at this officer that has nothing better to do than harass people, you are going to let him get away with it. On the other hand, I would hope that if the prosecutor gets a complaint about an officer with nothing better to do than bother you at 2 MPH over (speedo margin of error - your dial may have read 40 right on the money), while serious crimes are happening elsewhere...

At least give it a chance for the sake of humanity
Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

I still can't believe that they ticketed you for 2 miles an hour over. What are those guys, ***** or something in Massachusetts? Oh yea, in Massachusetts, they ARE *****! Don't get me started about their lying police.

Pretty much everyone's speedos are at least 2 mph off in the first place.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF. Post incredible story to board get nearly uniform advise and then just say "blow it off"
Don't let these a&&holes get away with this stuff. Fight it yourself (be a man) or at least find someone to fight your battles. You are in danger of a mandatory relinquishing of your rennlist membership ... but wait a minute, I don't see a membership # ... that might explain everything ...

Jack
Old 01-29-2007, 09:19 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago a relative of mine got a ticket for doing 1 mph over the limit in Glenview Illinois.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Coochas
That is truly bizarre. You MUST contest this ticket.
You should also get a radar detector - I would imagine that these devices have saved me tens of thousands of dollars over the last 25 years.
BIZARRE!! Such a wonderful New England word!! I use it at every chance!!

But Seriously, being a Bostonian- I got accustomed to being able to speed- within reason. I've been passed by a Trooper at 80mph...

seems life is not as fun in other places. Here in Ohio I'm convinced that the remaining ****'s are now Police Officers.

2mph is complete bs. fight it.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI....the letter I used from ticketassasin was from Virginia...and last time I checked this is no where near California!!!

but whatever.....I got my money back.. and no points
Old 01-30-2007, 02:29 AM
FlyingLow
Racer

This is very strange. I personally know a bunch of motor cops . I also know that none of them write for less than ten over. (Corrected), actually eleven over. Ten won't get you a citation in their book. These are OC-based LEO's, maybe they're a little more laid-back.

Last edited by FlyingLow; 01-30-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
This is very strange. I personally know a bunch of motor cops . I also know that none of them write for less than ten over.

I know a bunch of motorcycle cops (and radio car cops) as well. They won't write unless you are 13 over. But of course, that is in California...and they are Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputies.

2 over is crazy. Too many possibilities for equipment error at that slight margin, and 2 over is simply the wrong thing to do. Shame on them.

Last edited by Dariof; 01-30-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear this one. That COP was a total jerk and his wife probably threw him out of bed the night before. He was throwing his frustration out on you and anyone else that entered his path of wrath. I would say fight it. If you have a lawyer friend ask him about it. Good Luck.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:08 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll try to be careful here-- I don't want to get slammed by the attornies on board. But, with all due respect to the attornies, wouldn't hiring an attorney to "do the talking for you" cost you more than the ticket would cost you? Personally, I am not a VIP who has a personal attorney on constant retainer. I wish I had(e.g.,termite guy not covering damage while under contract, etc). Enlighten me, please.
BTW, I, too, think 2mph over is outrageous. I'd fight it myself(yes, and maybe lose).
Old 01-31-2007, 08:18 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryrice
Of course if I could get reimbursed for the hours spent fighting it, migh be different.
You should call your insurance company and ask them how much your rates will increase for the next 3 years. I was looking at ~$250/point per year.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

"I was accelerating, and if he did not stop me I would hae been going a lot faster"
I would demand to see my "Minority Report" it worked for Tom Cruise
Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 PM
MartyB
Racer

Apreciate all the advice guys, but in the end , I think Ill just blow it off, its more of hassle for me to go the court route, even if I win, I wasted a lot of my own time and frustration, rather not dwell on the absurd. Of course if I could get reimbursed for the hours spent fighting it, migh be different. The hours I would spend in court, decided to spend them cruising the open roads , and definately avoid that town. I might send the ticket to Ripley's believe it or not.
I don't care what it cost me, I wouldn't cop to that one. During a law school internship in the criminal court in Broward Co, Fl., I recall several motions to suppress evidence being filed by defendants where the stop was initiated because of a chicken **** speeding violation, such as 2-5 mph over. The cop was required to bring a huge stack of prior tickets to court and testify as to whether he always stopped drivers that he found were going ___ low mph over and, if there was no other violation, what percentage of those stopped were actually cited for the low speeding violation. All of the motions to suppress evidence I heard when the stop was pretextual, meaning they were really looking for DUI, drugs, etc. and not speeding, were granted. While you are not looking to suppress evidence incidental to the stop, I feel like a malicious prosecution case could be made out if this cop and this jurisdiction overlook 2mph violations 99% of the time, which I am sure they do. You could easily take a video camera and a radar gun and catch this same cop letting nearly all of the 5-10 mph over speeders go without a stop. If you let the prosecutor know what you are considering before your first appearance, I'd be willing to bet that you'd never have to appear.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 73 Posts

It was Mass. The town is dry, no liquer is served in restaurants (as I recall awhile ago) and no liquer stores allowed, guess that should have a been a clue the local gestapo would be heavy handed, I usually avoid driving through it
Was this Westwood, MA by any chance?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:19 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Call the local DA in charge of traffic court and discuss it with him. Radar error speedo, error etc. That ticket should go away.

Quick Reply: STUPID SPEEDING TICKET - WTF