Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slate Gray C2S - Am I Selling This Right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007 | 10:24 AM
Rasta
Racer

Default Slate Gray C2S - Am I Selling This Right?

This forum has always been very helpful with pricing, so am looking for some guidance.

I'm selling my "like new" 2006 Slate Gray / Cocoa Brown 997 C2S. The car has 1,200 miles, and the in-service date was Sep 2006, or 5 months ago.

Car is optioned with

1. Sport Chrono Package Plus
2. Sport Shifter
3. Sports Seats w/ Full Leather Interior
4. Heated Front Seats
5. Tire Pressure Monitoring System
6. Bose Surround Sound
7. Wheel Caps with Colored Crests
8. Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes
9. Cocoa Floor Mats
10. Aluminum Gear Shifter

MSRP was $94.4K.

The car is flawless!

I checked out prices online a couple of days ago, but have not been following the market closely so I don't know what a private-party sale price should be.

I've set the price at $79.9K given that I saw most dealers (that I saw) were selling similar cars (but in often cases, lower MSRP'd cars) for the mid-$80K's but would like some input from this forum.

The car is also up on eBay, but I'm NOT going to provide the link lest people think it is a plug (which it is not, just looking for honest feedback).

I'd appreciate any price guidance. Not in a rush to sell, but have other developments I need to focus on so the car will eventually need to go. Also not looking to get the last dollar on the sale, simply want to give / get a fair price. I like to think of these situations as a win / win for both buyer and seller.

Please let me know if you think I've priced it right given where the market is.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2007 | 02:18 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
Did you try kelly blue book dot com?
Paul
Old 01-23-2007 | 02:43 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Would be right in So Cal but not sure on East Coast pricing.
Old 01-23-2007 | 06:17 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

I think getting an S for under $80k would be a nice deal. Good luck with the sale.
Old 01-23-2007 | 06:49 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by PAULSPEED
Hi,
Did you try kelly blue book dot com?
Paul
Thanks for the suggestion Paul - I just clicked it and I found it somewhat strange that KBB doesn't even ask you for the MSRP in its analysis. With Porsche, I can get an '06 S for $80K, or I can get it for $105K - it all comes down to the options, and without factoring in the MSRP, KBB is effectively generalizing through the midpoint, which is a fairly imprecise analysis IMHO.

Somebody please let me know if I used KBB wrong but that is what I noticed.

Regards.
Old 01-23-2007 | 06:51 PM
Rasta
Racer

Thanks for the thoughts in general fellas. If you know anybody interested in a great car, let me know.

eBay auction seems to have generated a lot of "watchers" (12 and the car has only been advertised a day) but I know there's a difference between a fantasy buyer and somebody willing to plunk money down.

Best.
Old 01-23-2007 | 07:07 PM
JimRe
6th Gear

Hi, a newbe here although I have been lurking on the forum for six months or so to get a 997 education as I am planning on a '05 or '06 coupe purchase this summer.

Texas prices for a very low mileage highly optioned 997S are about $80k at the Dallas/Houston dealerships with $3k - $5k negotiations on the sale. Private sale prices are around $75k. I confirmed the above by checking on kbb using a texas zip and your mileage and options ($75,900 for private sale in excellent condition).

I was told at a Dallas Porsche dealership that most options don't add value to resale. Exceptions being X51, Sport Chronos, PCBS, full leather and Bose.

I assume East Coast prices are a bit higher then here.

Jim
Old 01-23-2007 | 07:34 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default Rasta, I found my car on eBay

I waited until the listing expired and contacted the seller. I paid a little more for an 06 C2S with similar options in May. My car had 2400 miles and $5000 in exhaust/intake/chip mods.

I would say that you have a fair price on your's, and that there are legimate buyers lurking on eBay.

FYI, I love the colour combo on your car, very unique I am sure that it will sell.
Old 01-23-2007 | 08:09 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default Rasta, I found my car on eBay

I waited until the listing expired and contacted the seller. I paid a little more for an 06 C2S with similar options in May. My car had 2400 miles and $5000 in exhaust/intake/chip mods.

I would say that you have a fair price on your's, and that there are legimate buyers lurking on eBay.

FYI, I love the colour combo on your car, very unique I am sure that it will sell.
Old 01-23-2007 | 08:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default SHEESH!

Originally Posted by Rasta
Thanks for the thoughts in general fellas. If you know anybody interested in a great car, let me know.

eBay auction seems to have generated a lot of "watchers" (12 and the car has only been advertised a day) but I know there's a difference between a fantasy buyer and somebody willing to plunk money down.

Best.
Sheesh,
A 95k car for only 80k and he can't spring $18 to become a member so the guy that owns the forum can pay his electric bill. Sheesh

Mark,
our mutual "star" friend should be talking to you soon. I asked his "she who must be obeyed" to tell him to give me the OK to talk to you about what is happening on their (siblings) front, which you probably know anyway.
Old 01-23-2007 | 08:43 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by JimRe
Hi, a newbe here although I have been lurking on the forum for six months or so to get a 997 education as I am planning on a '05 or '06 coupe purchase this summer.

Texas prices for a very low mileage highly optioned 997S are about $80k at the Dallas/Houston dealerships with $3k - $5k negotiations on the sale. Private sale prices are around $75k. I confirmed the above by checking on kbb using a texas zip and your mileage and options ($75,900 for private sale in excellent condition).

I was told at a Dallas Porsche dealership that most options don't add value to resale. Exceptions being X51, Sport Chronos, PCBS, full leather and Bose.

I assume East Coast prices are a bit higher then here.

Jim
Thanks Jim - mine has full leather and bose.

I think I'm going to weight "market comparables" a little more rather than KBB.

Good luck with your search!

Best.
Old 01-23-2007 | 10:47 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Your asking price doesn't seem that far off if you find a local buyer that wants a similarly optioned car. This could take a while. As someone in the market for an 05 C2S my input would be the following:

1) Most private party sellers on ebay seem to think they are going to be able to get closer to a dealer asking price than is realistic. Particularly since the dealer asking prices generally have room for negotiation as well. Look at how few listings actually close with a sale.

2) Keep in mind that a stripped C2S can be had new for basically this price. (Not that you could actually find one on a dealer lot with no options.) So, with a car this new your market is more limited because you have to find someone that actually cares about the options your car has.

3) To attract anyone other than a local buyer you have to have a highly desirable car or be willing to reduce your price to cover either the risks of a sight unseen purchase or travel to view a potential purchase plus transportation costs.
Old 01-24-2007 | 12:29 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Originally Posted by Rasta
Thanks for the suggestion Paul - I just clicked it and I found it somewhat strange that KBB doesn't even ask you for the MSRP in its analysis. With Porsche, I can get an '06 S for $80K, or I can get it for $105K - it all comes down to the options, and without factoring in the MSRP, KBB is effectively generalizing through the midpoint, which is a fairly imprecise analysis IMHO.

Somebody please let me know if I used KBB wrong but that is what I noticed.

Regards.
Hi Rasta,
Kelly blue book is good for cars that are over ten years old. It
does provide something in the process of selling a car.
Paul
Old 01-24-2007 | 08:00 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

I think your asking price is reasonable given the options and miles, although you should expect a negotiation room in your ask price. The 06 cars with similar options are at 80-84K new at dealers (there are only a few around), and used dealers are at 76-78K with in my experience 4-7k miles.

Used emunds.com for (slightly) more accurate book values. Generally options are value at half the retail price.

I would expect it would sell fairly at 76.5 to 78K depending on how long you want to wait, how badly someone wants your option/color combo, and if it's a Rennlister who values peace of mind. Good luck! It's a beauty.

(I have my eye on 05s at the moment but won't be buying till fall)
Old 01-24-2007 | 09:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Look at closed auctions on eBay to get a taste of the real market. Yes, there are plenty of lookers and even some bidders - but almost no cars are selling. I think 1 supercharged car with no reserve and 1 base C2 for in the 60s. Lots of cars CPO, autotrader / cars.com, eBay, but no buyers.

My guess is anywhere in the country where it's cold (ie: Northeast, Central, west, etc.) the market is very slow because it's winter. That's half the country right there not thinking about buying a Porsche. But when the temperature warms up...

Point of reference, I got a 9% discount on my new ordered 2007 C2S that just arrived. Granted I didn't have as much equipment as you, but I paid less and got a new 07. There's a dynamic happening - when the 997 was new many paid MSRP and a year later, the car was worth 9% less. Today, many dealers are stuck with unsold inventory and allocations, so many of us are able to negotiate out the 1st year of depreciation. So that's one thing you are competing with - new car for 1 year old used car price.

Quick Reply: Slate Gray C2S - Am I Selling This Right?