Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: leave the spoiler black or paint it red?
keep it black
52.44%
get it painted to match!
47.56%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

help me....leave it or paint it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:55 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

RedRocket - Another option would be to paint the lip but don't paint the lower 2" or so.

Here is a photoshopped pic of your car from another thread. The 1st pic is the current "no paint" pic and the 2nd pic shows the partially painted lip.
3rd pic is from your original post on this thread and 4th pic is the partially paint lip."

Personally, I like this option the best, not because it is my idea, (I don't suffer from "pride of authorship" syndrome) but because it addresses both issues discussed earlier (current black lip is too pronounced & full paint will get scuffed). Just throwing out an additional option.

Good luck on your decision.

BTW - I live in Concord (NE of Charlotte) and my job takes me to the Rock Hill area a couple of times per month. I would like to be able to hook up with you some time so I could see your Red Rocket beauty!
Attached Images     

Last edited by gota911; 01-22-2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added 2 more pics.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:18 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 That last post is gets my vote. Half paint. Well done Tim. And unless that paint can you got matches the color 99%, I would do original paint. There are companies that will send you a spray paint can with your original factory color (ordered based on color code). And felt tip pens with it too, for small marks. I had ordered some for my audi but it was a few years back so I donthave the details. Paint it factory and if you get light scratches touch them up with some red paint with a nail brush...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

After seeing it as if painted I'd opt for painted. However, as many others pointed out keeping it painted will be more than a challenge. Once scratched you'll hate it.

The half painted may be a good functional compromise. Your area does have some driveways which will be steep enough to scratch the lip if fully painted.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Einstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paint it red, otherwise it looks like you ran out of paint.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:24 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

Tim, nice job on that photoshop! I really appreciate the help and it looks great. So great that I have decided to go ahead and have the shop paint the top half of the spoiler. I was told by the shop manager that it wasnt designed to have paint on it but that they would give it a shot. Its a good compromise.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket
Tim, nice job on that photoshop! I really appreciate the help and it looks great. So great that I have decided to go ahead and have the shop paint the top half of the spoiler. I was told by the shop manager that it wasnt designed to have paint on it but that they would give it a shot. Its a good compromise.
Thanks for the kind words. I thought that just "describing" it (half painted/half not painted) wouldn't cut it, so I wanted to "see" what it looked like before I posted the idea. I'm glad I could help!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, painted or not... the car looks unbalance without a rear tail. The car needs a significant rear wing to counter balance the front spoiler.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
IMO, painted or not... the car looks unbalance without a rear tail. The car needs a significant rear wing to counter balance the front spoiler.
So, I take it that if you date a woman who has big pecs she has to be properly balanced with a big ***?

BTW: I stronly suggest that IF your girl has large PECS that you DO NOT tell her she also has a big ***.

Personally, I prefer the well balanced woman.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:24 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
So, I take it that if you date a woman who has big pecs she has to be properly balanced with a big ***?

BTW: I stronly suggest that IF your girl has large PECS that you DO NOT tell her she also has a big ***.

haha! I actually like a nice healthy ***...big or small "pecs" dont really matter to me. anyway. i am waiting to see how much abuse this lower spoiler lip is gonna take and then in a few weeks i will probably have it painted half and half.

getting her tinted in 2 days. it will be interesting to see if that throws a new dynamic into the mix.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911

hehehe... coffee all over monitor... Thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't paint it (because of the scraping/[aint chipping off reasons) but whatever you do, please get the rear spoiler as well. These things are designed to perform (and look good) as a "kit", not only front or rear alone.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

Black is beautiful.

Quick Reply: help me....leave it or paint it?