Sponsored by:

Automated car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdmason
my 2005 997 cab was taken through an automated car wash (without my approval) . The right rear wheel rubed against the guide scraping paint chips off the wheel ,no dents just scrapes.Keep this story in mind the next time you think of an automatic carwash.
ANother very valid point!!! Wheel size can be a big problem with these autowashes. If you do want to autowash, make sure they can accomidate your size wheels. Some can and some cannot.

I've seen more than I'd like to see on this issue, not only Porsche, but Z06 Vettes, Lambo, AMG Benz, etc.

Just use caution when looking into autowashing your Porsche. Always ask first if it can go through the tunnel due to the size of the wheels

Deanski
Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Go to a self-serve and bring along Optimum ONR (Optimum No Rinse), a small bucket and mitt, and wash it with that. Blast off as much dirt as possible, then use the ONR mix. No need rinse!!i
ONR is a great product, and you can easily do your car in the garage. It leaves very little water behind and is a temendous time saver.

For extra dirty areas, you can mix it up in detail spray strength and apply it with a pesticide sprayer.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I think we should stop this thread before my friend Ben has a heart attack reading it !!!!

I say NO on the car wash. When I first got my car, I ran it through some of those mechanical washes that do not have tracks for the car (i.e. the equipment moves around your car). Didn't screw up my paint BUT it did destroy a side view mirror after I had flicked it inwards pre-wash (thank God for warranties).

The power spray washes are a good way to go - just carry a nice MF towel or sheepskin mitt in your boot to scrub off the dirt. I did this for a while with good results.

Then, as Deanski said above, I went with the ONR 'rinseless' stuff which works great. You can wash your car right in your garage spot and only make tiny puddles on the floor with no contamination of neighbor's cars (if this is a consideration):
How to wash your car in your garage...
Old 01-20-2007, 04:47 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Azurro_California_911
Do you take your car through a automated car wash? Every had any problems / damage? During winter its sometimes just to cold to want to hand wash.

JFS
I'm sure you remember the car ...still looks new BTW.
I just went to a local "No-touch" car wash to get the winter grime off it and they did an amazing job for $12. It does use a track, but the owner modified it with a teflon/vinyl cover to eliminate any wheel damage. I asked if it could take an 11" wide wheel and they said no problem as they've had Lambos, Ferrari and P-cars go through with no problems. They have 5-6 guys at the end who wipe off any excess water from the sills and such after it's gone through the dryer. Try to find that kind of set-up in your area and make sure that they let you drive it onto the tracks yourself.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sprintrider
Hey Azurro,

Since you have left the land of excessive taxes and liberalism, I think a name change is in order

Try Azurro_Nevada_911"

Welcome to Nevaaaada
I like it. To bad the color of the car is Azurro Cafilornia. Maybe I'll use it for my evil alter ego
Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We have a fancy automated touchless car wash here, and they definitely do a thorough job, but I have to wonder about the chemicals they use to eat through all the dirt/grime on the car. They hand-dry after each wash, and I worry about swirls from residual dirt on the towels.

Tough chemicals + dirty towels = close my eyes and hope they don't ruin anything
Old 01-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

The biggest danger to our cars from "pull/push-through" car washes is not to your paint - although that's certainly at risk in that situation (ever seen a detail guy clean your wheel, then rub your paint with the same rag? Arrrrgh!)

The real risk is to your wheels. As pointed out by Dan and bdmason, the channel through which cars are guided are often not wide enough for our wide wheels. You'll find the inside rims of your driver's side wheels will get scratched, scraped, and maybe even bent.

Most car washes will wash your car "outside the line" for a slightly higher fee. Just watch those guys with the rags doing the detail work...
Old 01-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Keista
Intermediate

IMHO, now that I am older and don't have enough free time to do the things I want to do, it is a waste of my time to just wash my car (by the time I'm done with it, it takes hours since I halfway thru it I automatically shift into 'detail' mode). But, I will gladly DRIVE (I want to spend time driving) 15 miles each way to a car wash facility that I know does lots of high-end cars and therefore is set up for wide wheels, lowered cars, no brushes, etc. Have had hit & miss luck with car wash guys that bring a van to you....
Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I think we should stop this thread before my friend Ben has a heart attack reading it !!!!

I say NO on the car wash. When I first got my car, I ran it through some of those mechanical washes that do not have tracks for the car (i.e. the equipment moves around your car). Didn't screw up my paint BUT it did destroy a side view mirror after I had flicked it inwards pre-wash (thank God for warranties).

The power spray washes are a good way to go - just carry a nice MF towel or sheepskin mitt in your boot to scrub off the dirt. I did this for a while with good results.

Then, as Deanski said above, I went with the ONR 'rinseless' stuff which works great. You can wash your car right in your garage spot and only make tiny puddles on the floor with no contamination of neighbor's cars (if this is a consideration):
How to wash your car in your garage...
Agree totally - would NEVER run any high end car through an automated wash. If you can't or prefer not to do it yourself, pay someone to detail it. The damage to the wheels as the car travels along the tracks is all it took to convince me years ago not to go this route. In the winter, I go to a self-service power wash and use a sheepskin mitt and lots of fresh water. (And no, my P-car has never even seen one of these car washes since it's clean and put away for the winter).
Old 01-20-2007, 10:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas

I say NO on the car wash....
Dave it's already waaaay too late for that! He probably passed out and keeled over when he read the just the TITLE of the thread!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Dave it's already waaaay too late for that! He probably passed out and keeled over when he read the just the TITLE of the thread!
I'm giving Ben CPR right now
Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
I'm giving Ben CPR right now
Ben?...Ben?....Ben?....can you hear us?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:44 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Never use an automated wash. I ignored that and and did fine until one day I had to have one of my wheels resurfaced. Learn from my stupid people trick.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:42 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Its only a car. Do what makes you happy.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to use one, may I stress frequenting one that has padding (usually a blue foamlike substance) covering the wheel rails. It is a horrible feeling watching your car come out the other side with chewed up wheel edges.

Quick Reply: Automated car wash