Sponsored by:

Automated car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automated car wash

Do you take your car through a automated car wash? Every had any problems / damage? During winter its sometimes just to cold to want to hand wash.

JFS
Old 01-20-2007, 02:35 AM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I prefer not to, but like you said, it gets cold here and I have used a new drive through wash in town. Since I drive the car through and all the equipment is new, it has gone though without incident and actually done a good job.

It is located on McCarran and Longley Not sure of the name.

During the warmer months I like to do it myself.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Sprintrider
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Azurro_California_911
Do you take your car through a automated car wash? Every had any problems / damage? During winter its sometimes just to cold to want to hand wash.

JFS

Hey Azurro,

Since you have left the land of excessive taxes and liberalism, I think a name change is in order

Try Azurro_Nevada_911"

Welcome to Nevaaaada
Old 01-20-2007, 03:00 AM
seedvila
Instructor

As long as it's touchless and doesn't have any brushes that will come in contact with your car, you should be okay. Be wary of the car washes that have the giant brushes...they will wreck havoc on clear-coat paint.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Now having a cabiolet the factory recommends no automated car washes,--apparently their brushes are hard on the fabric tops. I also figure that even with the hardtop on a car wash will spray high pressure water into places I don't want it into,--and can also risk the wheels. No more autos for me (for this car)!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:15 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I wouldn't.
Would rather pay for a handwash. Or avoid giving the car a mineral bath halfway through the winter.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 AM
seedvila
Instructor

Or avoid giving the car a mineral bath halfway through the winter
That's unavoidable up here...the Dept of Trans. started using some new substance to salt the roads and the stuff is worse than chalk. Wash the car and approximately 10 minutes later, it looks like you haven't touched it all year.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:24 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

When I do go to the carwash, I have them do it by hand outside and I always tip the regulars well. I also occasionally take it to the do-it-yourself carwash where I can use the high pressure sprays but can avoid scratching things up. I need to do a super-detail soon (or have it done) and likely will be more careful washing after that (at least for a while). This is my daily driver, so lets face it, its not always practical to be completely **** about washing.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:42 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do it all the time. Even the place that charges $14 (+ $2 tip) for a wash runs it first through an automatic wash before hand drying it and doing the interior.

This is no big deal.

Really.

Nietzsche said "Live dangerously. Build your cities on the slopes of Vesuvius."

I say "Live dangerously. Take your Porsche thru an automatic car wash"
Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never with a dark colored car. If you give any concern toward your clear coat, have it hand washed. Spray it off at do-it-yourself. If it is that cold, I usually leave it dirty and just spray her off. A dirty PORSCHE is better than no PORSCHE at all...
Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by seedvila
That's unavoidable up here...the Dept of Trans. started using some new substance to salt the roads and the stuff is worse than chalk. Wash the car and approximately 10 minutes later, it looks like you haven't touched it all year.
ah the chemical stuff.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:51 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I use these guys ( www.skywash.com ) for all my car washing/waxing needs. The yellow is great at hiding imperfections (flat paint), but my last car had a dark, green metallic paint and was flawless after many of their washes and buff waxes.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 AM
jason1st
Advanced

Originally Posted by jugger911
Never with a dark colored car. If you give any concern toward your clear coat, have it hand washed. Spray it off at do-it-yourself. If it is that cold, I usually leave it dirty and just spray her off. A dirty PORSCHE is better than no PORSCHE at all...
2nd on the black paint. Never had a problem going to the car was with any car until I got this last black one. 2K and needs some serious waxing.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Go to a self-serve and bring along Optimum ONR (Optimum No Rinse), a small bucket and mitt, and wash it with that. Blast off as much dirt as possible, then use the ONR mix. No need rinse!!

Autowash is very bad, unless they use the same equipment used at Benz, which one does in my area.

Stay away from the hand wash sites as well!!!! Mitts used are mostly synthetic and LOADED with dirt no matter how often they rinse.

A good example in our area is Splash. They do it by hand. No extra charge for the swirls!

Deanski
Old 01-20-2007, 10:45 AM
bdmason
Instructor

my 2005 997 cab was taken through an automated car wash (without my approval) . The right rear wheel rubed against the guide scraping paint chips off the wheel ,no dents just scrapes.Keep this story in mind the next time you think of an automatic carwash.

Quick Reply: Automated car wash