Sponsored by:

Porsche Residuals Dropped

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
The 911 has always been touted as having a very strong residual value; these new numbers don't seem to indicate it, at least from Porsche Credit's standpoint .
Much of the 911 resale value legend (and Porsche in general) are based on the historical data from the older cars. I think if you compare today's 911 to other similarly priced cars sold in the same years made by other manufacturers it still does have fairly strong resale value. However, if you compare it to % of MRSP to older 911's at the same age I think you will find a much steeper decline (i.e. fair market value of 2yr old 2005 997 in 2007 compared to the FMV of a 2 year old 87 carrera in 89). As production numbers of 911 have increased the residuals values have decreased more sharply. Just look at the historical data of the Turbo models vs. the much greater production numbers on the 996tt. The other factor to consider is the availability of other competitors in the market. There are many more performance cars available today. Even though to many enthusiast sedans vs. sports coupes is apples to oranges, to the general public it is all about the numbers. Look at how many cars compete in the same price range as the 911 that offer big HP numbers. All these cars on the used market means lesser depressed values.

Most cars are depreciating assets. Drive and enjoy. If you don't want to take the initial steep depreciation then buy pre-owned (and even that doesn't assure you of anything these days).
Old 01-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
The residual has dropped a full 1% each month so far for the 07's (since Oct), that's a pretty sharp decline epsecially if it continues each month going forward. The 911 has always been touted as having a very strong residual value; these new numbers don't seem to indicate it, at least from Porsche Credit's standpoint .

The base money factor only dropped from .00330 to .00320 which has a very minimal effect on the payment.
Remember Porsche Financial doesn't really care about aggressive money factors. They are typically the highest for leasing.....if you want a reasonable money factor - go with USBANK.

Remember guys/girls........as the years go on.......things will and DO change. That goes for how money is exchanged- including leasing.

Leasing accounts for less then 20% of Porsche's business. Most cars are actually financed or paid for in cash. Thus you won't see wild and crazy leases as you would a Mercedes or Lexus. - PAG and PCNA are not reliant upon the leasing consumer.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Why the sad face if you already bought? It means your payments should be less than if you leased now (all other factors being equal). Or did you actually buy and not lease? Are you worried that your car will now be worth less than than you thought? You know that residual values are only very roughly based on predicted value, right? They're manipulated by financial institutions for their benefit, and don't have an effect on actual resale values over time.

Either way, don't sweat it.
Good catch Alan, I'll make an annoucement in the next few days
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Hartley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was my understanding that lease residual values are a bad way to determine a cars future worth. They are usually overly aggressive on hot cars such as most sports cars as they know they will sell all of them regarless, so why offer aggressive lease rates? They are banking that you simply turn in the car at the end of the lease and hope to make a little extra. Please correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Remember Porsche Financial doesn't really care about aggressive money factors. They are typically the highest for leasing.....if you want a reasonable money factor - go with USBANK.

Remember guys/girls........as the years go on.......things will and DO change. That goes for how money is exchanged- including leasing.

Leasing accounts for less then 20% of Porsche's business. Most cars are actually financed or paid for in cash. Thus you won't see wild and crazy leases as you would a Mercedes or Lexus. - PAG and PCNA are not reliant upon the leasing consumer.
US Bank may look good upfront, but be warned they are the very worst in the industry on the back end! My good friend, a lawyer, is in a battle with them now re his lease termination (not one of his 3 Porsches) as they are just ruthlessly trying to stick it to him on wear and tear, and his friend (someone in the auto leasing business) said he won't even deal with US Bank anymore because of their tactics. I looked at an old lease I had with Chase and sent him a copy - they were very lenient on wear and tear, as I recall even giving something like a $1,500 allowance before they try to ding you, but US Bank gives no allowance and tries to charge for the slighest nick in the door.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

Also had a bad experience with US bank - the quoted me a bad payoff figure on a lease, and they have large early termination fees. Caveat emptor
Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Soooo ....

If Porsche Financial is not a good choice for a lease, and USBank is crap, what are good institutions (for the next couple months) that would be a good choice for a lease?

I just went thru this with a new lease on a truck. GMAC was $230 more per month than Ford for the same priced vehicle. I have a Ford.

My C4S will arrive in mid/late March. I will be leasing with zero down and as low miles as I can ... I suppose that will be 10K/yr. I'll only drive it 7K/yr.

Perhaps you folks "in the know" can point us uninformed peons in a direction that is not filled with lease remorse. I'd like that.

Thanx in advance.

BAGGER
Old 01-10-2007, 01:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
I recently received the 07 money factor and residual info for Porsche Credit's base rates and I was surprised to see the residual on an 07 C2S coupe has dropped by a full 4% (58% 36 mos/12k per yr) since I bought in Oct! Is this considered a normal drop considering the 07's just recently came out?

Thanks

swap lease shows (58% 36 mos/15k per yr)???
Old 01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartley
It was my understanding that lease residual values are a bad way to determine a cars future worth. They are usually overly aggressive on hot cars such as most sports cars as they know they will sell all of them regarless, so why offer aggressive lease rates? They are banking that you simply turn in the car at the end of the lease and hope to make a little extra. Please correct me if I'm wrong?
You are correct.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by mooty
swap lease shows (58% 36 mos/15k per yr)???
Go here for more info http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=69112

Quick Reply: Porsche Residuals Dropped