gas cap on a string

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I think Dave (Coochas) has the same problem with his "cap." From the pics I see of him wearing shorts, his "cap" dangles, too.... a LOT!
Maybe he needs a hook for it .............
Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the rubber apron from Griott's Garage similar to what used to come standard on the 911s only longer.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easier solution is to just buy a 993 and set the cap on top of the windscreen using the windshield wipers as a shelf. You can't miss it there when you leave so you'll never forget it and never scratch your paint.

Had a carwash/gas station provide the full service on a turbo mitsubishi I once owned many years ago. It was in perfect shape. I watched in horror as the guy was in such a rush that after twice missing the filler opening and impacting and chipping the paint he finally got it in. He must not have a girlfriend with that kind of poor aim!

Letting any attendant, in particular a petroleum transfer engineer touch your car is asking for trouble. Ask to see their credentials first if you absolutely must but you seriously have to ask yourself: "what kind of brainpower is controlling their motor skills" before you let them fill up your car?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most all new cars today have a provision to hang the cap while filling up. I liked my BMW's system where there is a peg inside the cap that fits into a hole in the filler door. Very clean.

BTW: I do the same for my 993, putting the cap on the wipers! Maybe that's why its orange in color.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a dangler.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
you seriously have to ask yourself: "what kind of brainpower is controlling their motor skills" before you let them fill up your car
I get your point but I would be careful not to confuse "low-income jobs" with "low on-the-job skills" or even "intelligence". I'm sorry for your experience from back then, but most of my students - who by the way do not lack brainpower - are also currently limited to low-income employment and as far as I have been able to observe them, they are doing outstanding jobs. Maybe they were just trying to impress me, but I see more stupid blunders in my consulting business (and that's managers working for MNCs).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd be hesitant to imply that only because someone works a low-income job, they are stupid. I worked a dozen different jobs of that kind before I got to where I am today (the latter of which of course, you are right, in itself does not imply I'm smart).

Not trying to pick a fight, just wanted to take a stand for my kids. Of course, when Americans lament the decrease in service quality, I'm still very happy with it because back in Germany customer service was non-existent. So maybe my expectations are just lower.

Sorry for hijacking.

I let the whole thing dangle, by the way.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Soulteacher,
You got me. Admittedly it was a little bit of a shot at a low-income worker but you have to agree that many paid at low levels don't give a ratt's *** about doing a good job. Many figure why should they try to do a good job at that pay? As for the guy that filled up my car; he was actually the manager of the carwash who was rushing to crank as many cars through as quickly as possible. He may even have been one of the owners for all I know. I guarantee you he was making FAR ABOVE minimum wage and he was still a dumb-***!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to you can put a small strip of the 3M clear film where the string rubs.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As noted above, you can buy a small flap that fits over the filler neck and unfurls to potect the fender from the cap string. Only the most fastidious need apply
Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your gas caps came with strings attached???

You guys must have gotten gypped, that's all I can say. ... Mine came with a rubber coated chord.

And my BMW-designed Mini too, as well as that feature that Tex described.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for the lesson in DETAILS. I wasn't sure that that little hook was for. I had to stop, pull up the car cover and then the fuel filler cap this evening to see what was what.

Ben--mine came with a CORD.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Ben--mine came with a CORD.
See, they come in all varieties!

I happened to get the musical one.

Quick Reply: gas cap on a string