Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:17 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Better to have an ignition switched connection than a direct battery conection or drain may be increased when sitting off. We already have enough drain at rest!!
The documentation states to connect it to always on power. There is a menu option for charging the iPod: 1) Don't charge the iPod, 2) Charge the iPod, only when playing, 3) Charge the iPod when playing, plus 2 hours thereafter.

I think the always on power is important to make sure the device is ready when the MOST bus start so that it is properly recognized.?.?.? The NAV drive also gets always-on power.

Last edited by rickhuizinga; 01-10-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:55 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Larry, Thanks for reminding me about that. I forgot, it's not an amp where it require a trigger wire to turn it on. To wire an amp, it's best to wire direct and not thru tap. Ground loops etc....

Rick thanks for your inputs. I guess you have been playing around w/ the DICE. Just to let you know, I was not a fan of hooking up an IPOD to the PCM. After reading your posts, I'm just waiting for the group buy to get a better discount. I had bought a lot of songs thru itunes. Too lazy to rip it to MP3. The DICE will do the trick. Those FM transmitter sucks. Do PCM have Cassette? AAC sound alot better than MP3..
Please note that this isn't the DICE unit. Rather it is the Dension unit from Europe. I purchased it from www.maxcount.de. The DICE unit appears to be a completely different design that has yet to be released.

DICE is affiliated with Dension USA, a completely different company than Dension. Check out www.dension.com and www.densionusa.com
Old 01-10-2007, 02:56 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hartley
Does it remember the last song played when you turn/off on the ignition.
Yep
Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 AM
W211
Racer

Originally Posted by rickhuizinga
And so far, there are no bugs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I've only used it for one day so far. The song titles do update when changing tracks. The song title is displayed on the PCM, but not in the instrument cluster. I.e. The same way that the PCM works with a CD with text information: the intrument cluster just shows track #, and the PCM shows the CD text.
Thanks very much for the update Rick, would appreciate your feedback in a few days' time.

My NavTV doesn't automatically advance the track number or title. If I manually skip a song, the track number and title will move to the next song. However, if I just let the system play a sequence, it's always stuck on the first track.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:30 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickhuizinga
Please note that this isn't the DICE unit. Rather it is the Dension unit from Europe. I purchased it from www.maxcount.de. The DICE unit appears to be a completely different design that has yet to be released.

DICE is affiliated with Dension USA, a completely different company than Dension. Check out www.dension.com and www.densionusa.com

Hey Rick:

Did you check your MOST bus for the proper connectors prior to ordering the adaptor, or did you just get lucky? <g>

I was wondering about the easiest method to check the connectors without disassembling the entire electronics bay shroud.

Also, I see that maxcount removes VAT from the price (419 Euro - VAT); I'm assuming that the shipping offsets the VAT removal, right?

Looks super and thanks for the writeup. I'm in Munich the rest of this week but will order when I get back to the US and check my fiber end connectors...!

-don
Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Hey Rick:

Did you check your MOST bus for the proper connectors prior to ordering the adaptor, or did you just get lucky? <g>

I was wondering about the easiest method to check the connectors without disassembling the entire electronics bay shroud.

Also, I see that maxcount removes VAT from the price (419 Euro - VAT); I'm assuming that the shipping offsets the VAT removal, right?

Looks super and thanks for the writeup. I'm in Munich the rest of this week but will order when I get back to the US and check my fiber end connectors...!

-don
where did you tap into MOST line. Did you just unplug the nav plug and splice there? Did you have to remove the NAV unit to gain access? Looks great!! I see where 12 volt unswitched is necessary! I will have to check the extra CD player plug for power and ground. Don't know if I can wait for group buy!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by dstrimbu

I did not check my car to see if it had the Yazaki connectors before ordering. However, during the install, I noticed that the connector at the back of the NAV drive was a Yazaki connector. Nonetheless, all physical connections were compatible and the system worked when finished.

Its not clear if all components in my car used Yazaki connectors, or just the NAV unit. The only way to check is by removing the component and looking at it.

As for price, it was 361,21EUR plus 25EUR for shipping.

Last edited by rickhuizinga; 01-12-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by larrytrk
where did you tap into MOST line. Did you just unplug the nav plug and splice there? Did you have to remove the NAV unit to gain access? Looks great!! I see where 12 volt unswitched is necessary! I will have to check the extra CD player plug for power and ground. Don't know if I can wait for group buy!!!
This was posted earlier in the thread
Old 01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone approached Denison de for a group buy and, being a newbie on the forum, what does it take to get it done?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

e-mail eric at bumperplugs.com for details of a group buy he will be sponsoring
Old 01-10-2007, 06:37 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich,
You mentioned:

"On another board, I posted a description of the operation of the Gateway 500 on the CDR24 - the operation on the PCM is the same except you will be using the PCM menus to control the Gateway 500 using the CD changer menu and commands:"

Do mind letting us know on what board? I have GT3 coming with the CDR24 and am interested in the gateway 500 fxn with this headunit.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 07:32 PM
icruze
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob/Ft. Worth
e-mail eric at bumperplugs.com for details of a group buy he will be sponsoring
I don't think it's the same unit. The Dice (bumperplugs) group buy product hasn't been released yet and it says that the CD changer is disabled. The Denison model that Rick bought says that CD changer remains operational.

What is also interesting is Multimedia adapter with audio for Porsche PCM 2 that maxcount.de is selling. From the description, looks like video could be shown on the pcm screen.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Eric says it's the same dension unit for the group buy!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default Is this group buy happening now?

If so where is the link? I have sent off a few requests for group buy info to various sellers in Europe, so far no go. I hope to get a response from another seller tomorrow. Will put a post up if I am successful in getting an interested seller. If Bumberplug is already doing it then great, I'm in!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by CoGT3
Rich,
You mentioned:

"On another board, I posted a description of the operation of the Gateway 500 on the CDR24 - the operation on the PCM is the same except you will be using the PCM menus to control the Gateway 500 using the CD changer menu and commands:"

Do mind letting us know on what board? I have GT3 coming with the CDR24 and am interested in the gateway 500 fxn with this headunit.

Thanks
986forum.com

I also copied the text into the post that you responded to.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today