Sponsored by:

Tyre advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 04:21 AM
devon7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre advice needed

I've just had my C2S serviced and been told that I need to replace the rear tyres. They not on the wear bars yet but one has a screw buried in the rubber.

I've been running on Rosso's which I like a lot. Apparently these are out of stock for three to four weeks nationally in the UK. So I'm being offered alternatives.

Because they can't supply the Rosso's the Porsche Centre will change the front tyres for free to whatever I choose or whatever is available.

I've also been told that there is a new high performance Michelin tyre that is supposed to be very good, don't know what it's called yet.

Although I like tyres to last as long as possible, I also preffer the softer and quieter ride that I've had with the Rosso's. (They've got 8250 miles on them)

All comments gratefully received

Happy New Year All
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesn't sounds like rosso lasted that long for u. most of us get 15k mi from the rears. it all depends how much hiway driving u do tho.

as long as it's porsche approved n spec tire, u should be ok. get all 4 replaced then if u can't wait.

look up tirerack.com for tire options and review. i am sure the michelin will do just fine.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
it doesn't sounds like rosso lasted that long for u. most of us get 15k mi from the rears. it all depends how much hiway driving u do tho.

as long as it's porsche approved n spec tire, u should be ok. get all 4 replaced then if u can't wait.

look up tirerack.com for tire options and review. i am sure the michelin will do just fine.
I got only 8,600 and 9,500 miles from two sets of Rosso P-Zeros on the rear wheels. About 80% of my miles were highway miles.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had a screw buried in one of my rear tire treads for the last 3 years. It causes no harm. If yours is not causing an air leak then ignore it. Your OPC may be trying to take your money.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
most of us get 15k mi from the rears.
I think you have to speak for yourself...I got 13k, and that was mostly freeway miles and very little aggressive driving.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I've had a screw buried in one of my rear tire treads for the last 3 years. It causes no harm. If yours is not causing an air leak then ignore it.
VERY bad advice.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I've had a screw buried in one of my rear tire treads for the last 3 years. It causes no harm. If yours is not causing an air leak then ignore it. Your OPC may be trying to take your money.
Not something I would like to do or recommend to a friend. A mortal enemy...maybe. I think I drive my Porsches the way they were built to be driven and get around 10,000 miles out of set of rears and twice that from the fronts. Personally I've been very satisfied with the Michelins on my cars and would elect to get a set of 4, especially with two free fronts being offered. Just me .02
Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Porsche,AG recommends replacing rather than patching/plugging these tires. Hence your Dealer's recommendation. I have the Michelin PS2s with about 8,000 miles and still good tread, on my 2006 C4S Cab, and will likely stay with these when replacement time comes. I drive a mix of city and highway, and am somewhat aggressive on the curves. Hope this helps.

Jerry
Old 01-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm running on the Bridgestones,--Potenza 050A in the 19 inch sizes (235 and 305) and had the right rear replaced because of a nail. I have 8000 miles on the car,---2/3 freeway/autobahn conditions. Found that I have 5/32" of tread left. Fronts, of course, are even better. I have found them to have even wear across the tire,--left at factory fills,--39 and 43 when warm/hot.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
devon7
Advanced

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been driving a Targa for a couple of days while my car is in the shop. That has Bridgestones and I'm very impressed with the ride, so I may switch to them.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by devon7
Thanks for all the advice.

I've been driving a Targa for a couple of days while my car is in the shop. That has Bridgestones and I'm very impressed with the ride, so I may switch to them.
Is it the new Targa and if so how do you like it?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:12 AM
devon7
Advanced

It is the new Targa - a 4S, and I must say I'm very impressed. The ride and handling is sweet. A touch heavier than my 2S but very stable at speed (no bobbing at the front).

The roof is solid, no squeaks or rattles. Enjoyable with it open at 80mph on a cold Jan day. It's not like a cab but it is a good compromise.

Today I get to try a Cayman for the first time!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:33 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have Michelin PS2's and they are very, very good tires, and I think they last longer than the Pirellis. In any case, since you need rears now or soon, and the dealer is offering to give you the fronts for free if you buy the rears, that seems like a very opportune time to get new shoes all around, and I would take them up on that.

My wheel and tire guys locally (Wheel Enhancement) have patched a small puncture (nail) on the inside and I think it depends on the degree of damage to the tire, they don't always have to be replaced for that sort of thing. Sidewall damage is another situation and can be very dangerous. Wheel Enhancement has always given me good, honest and professional advice and I trust their judgement. Again, however, why not get 4 tires for the price of 2 while you can!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Drmark
Racer

Mchelin PS2s are king in the UK - a clear leader in the wet (and don't we need that here), as good as the competition in the dry, and they seem to last for ever (I'm at 12,000 on my first set and I work them hard).
Mark
Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by devon7
It is the new Targa - a 4S, and I must say I'm very impressed. The ride and handling is sweet. A touch heavier than my 2S but very stable at speed (no bobbing at the front).

The roof is solid, no squeaks or rattles. Enjoyable with it open at 80mph on a cold Jan day. It's not like a cab but it is a good compromise.

Today I get to try a Cayman for the first time!
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you have an excellent dealer (giving 07 4S Targas for loaners)

Quick Reply: Tyre advice needed