Sponsored by:

First gear Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I would be interested in knowing what car has a reverse syncro.
That's how the tech explained it to me, and we know they are all knowing.
And why the Mini S doesn't have the same problem with reverse.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
That's how the tech explained it to me, and we know they are all knowing.
And why the Mini S doesn't have the same problem with reverse.
Synchro's are for when you want the gears and the collars on the shaft to match speeds before they engage the teeth. Since you must be stopped to engage the idler gear, you don't need a synchro to match the reverse gear's speed to the output shaft's speed.

As for why some Mini's have problems? Why do some Porsche's have problems in the forward gears?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Synchro's are for when you want the gears and the collars on the shaft to match speeds before they engage the teeth. Since you must be stopped to engage the idler gear, you don't need a synchro to match the reverse gear's speed to the output shaft's speed.
Hmmm, then maybe there is something inherent omitted from their design that would otherwise stop the idler from spinning and bring it to a dead stop when reverse is attempted as in better gearboxes. But they admit that it's a shortcoming of the 5 speed gearbox. The 6 speed (on the S) doesn't have this problem. And supposedly the new '07 5 speed was redesigned because of the many consumer complaints.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 AM
WAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has the same problem. Sometimes I can't shift into first and I have to declutch and depress the clutch again. Also, I have problem with second as well. Sometimes it feels like there is pressure against it when I try to shift to second (like trying to shift into first on some cars when it isn't so enough). Anyone know what it is?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by WAY
My car has the same problem. Sometimes I can't shift into first and I have to declutch and depress the clutch again. Also, I have problem with second as well. Sometimes it feels like there is pressure against it when I try to shift to second (like trying to shift into first on some cars when it isn't so enough). Anyone know what it is?
Not sure but does it feel like this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...88&postcount=9

Quick Reply: First gear Problems