Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help .. ! How do I remove DOT paint ..?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Help .. ! How do I remove DOT paint ..?

This message probably does not belong here, but I'll take my chances anyway. It does involve some 'tech'.

My girl friend has a new Merc and for some reason drove across some yellow DOT paint. I can't believe they are painting roads in Connecticut at this time of year, but ... BTAIM ... she has quite a bit of yellow paint on her silver E350. I mean QUITE a bit.

Fortunately ... or not ... she does not run it thru a car wash very often and perhaps that will help. But, the yellow is NOT easy to remove. I tried to 'flick' it off, but that will be time consuming since there are about 20,000 yellow flecks on both sides of the car ... both front and rear. And, it seems to scratch the clear coat.

Crap ... !!

I asked her when she noticed it and the response was ... "Maybe 2-3 weeks ago." Just like that. Two - three weeks ago! Hmmmmm.....

I remember running over pig crap drizzling from a huge truck in my 911 coming back from a drive. It stank sooooo bad I can't tell you. I spent over 1/2 a day cleanin' that crap off the under carriage of my car. Unbelievable.

So .... what can we do? What genius paint removal stuff can we incorporate? I appreciate any help ... other than the obvious, "sell the Merc and get a Ford".

Thanx in advance, folks ...
Old 12-30-2006, 09:37 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a good auto detailer. Hopefully they can buff it out.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to one of our cars during a test drive. I was a detailer at the time and I used a rubbing compound that's normally used to fill in light scratches. Of course I didn't rub as hard because I didn't want the yellow paint to 'spread'. I then heavily waxed and buff'd the area.

Hopefully this helps!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:44 PM
JHD
Intermediate

Contact the DOT - In some states they will pay to have it removed, Would certainly help your cause if you knew the location it was picked up.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Try a clay bar. I used one to remove brake dust rust out of my paintin the 993. It worked amazingly well.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:09 PM

Try some mineral spirits
Old 12-31-2006, 12:35 AM
gmoney99
Instructor

start with a clay bay as Mark said, doubt you will need anything more drastic than that.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:44 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do not use any rubbing compounds or mineral spirits or anything harsh.

Use a clay bar. That's what it's specifically made for - to remove contaminants like that.

If you don't know how to use one, take the car to a pro shop to have them clay it off. It'll come off like a breeze, with little effort too.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:33 AM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
take the car to a pro shop to have them clay it off. It'll come off like a breeze, with little effort too.
......then sell it any buy a Porsche!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Thanx for your suggestions, folks. I'll give the clay bar a chance.

DD ... Well, it's not my car to sell. Belongs to the girl friend and she doesn't drive a "stick". BTW, I have a C4S coming in March. Meteor/black, chrono, PSE, nav, full leather, carbon, yada, yada. And, you won't see me driving on the yellow lines.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default DOT Traffic Paint

Most DOT paint is one of two types: Latex or thermal plastic. Most states have outlawed oil based traffic paint. Normally the towns will use Baltimore Chemical "Set Fast" now owned by Sherman Williams traffic paint. If latex, it should come off pretty easy.

State and some towns will contract out for thermal plastic paints which cure instantly. Some will also use a temp plastic tape in construction areas instead of line striping.

Use a more aggressive clay for overspray use as it will remove all the traffic paint. It may take several passes and re-kneeding the clay often. Cut the clay into thirds and use these as opposed to the whole brick. Only use that type of clay in the effected areas and not elsewhere on the finish!

Once off, a paint cleanser will remove any of the claying and paint shadowing.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Dr. Shine ....

Thanx for the great recommendations and instructions. I've not used clay bar before, altho I have read several posts regarding it's use.

I'm hoping that since the car was not super clean before the paint hit the surface that this will make removal a bit easier. Those couple areas that I used my nail to flick off a piece was not all that EZ to do.

Thanx
Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Dr. Shine ....

Thanx for the great recommendations and instructions. I've not used clay bar before, altho I have read several posts regarding it's use.

I'm hoping that since the car was not super clean before the paint hit the surface that this will make removal a bit easier. Those couple areas that I used my nail to flick off a piece was not all that EZ to do.

Thanx
No problem.

Here is another resolution for DOT paint: Road Paint Remover Wipes

Wash the finish with Dawn dishwashing detergent (this will strip any wax or glaze) that the DOT paint may be on top of. After washing, then it's time to clay with a clay lube or other QD spray to keep the clay from sticking.

The clay you want can be the Meguiars RED clay or other more aggressive clay strickly used for overspray removal. You'll fee it grab the DOT paint as it lifts it off. Keep an eye on the piece that you're using and kneed it often. Once it's really getting filled, toss it and get another piece that you cut from the original clay block.

If you drop any clay on the ground, it's now ruined and has to be discared. Don't try to remove dirt from dropped clay, just grab another piece and start again. It's best to use Nitrile or latex gloves for a bit more control.

Once removed, you can switch to a more mild clay and continue with the rest of the finish. This should get all the paint off. A mild paint cleanser or very mild polish if doing this by hand to remove any marring, then follow with wax or sealant.

Try to stay away from mineral spirits. If it IS an oil base paint and not latex (latex, well... feels like latex, rubbery) you may have to use Naptha to remove it, but use it ONLY in one area and then have a mix of Dawn/water in a spray to remove the Naptha as you do not want it to linger on the finish. Small areas, wipe on/wipe off, remove the Naptha with spray and dry. Proceed then to polish with a glaze to minimize any of the Naptha pulling finish solvents from the paint.

Regards,
Deanski
Dr Shine
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mineral Spirits (paint thinner) will NOT damage the paint in any way. It will, however remove any wax on the paint so the area will have to be waxed again. If mineral spirits will not remove it, use polishing compound and rewax.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Mineral Spirits (paint thinner) will NOT damage the paint in any way. It will, however remove any wax on the paint so the area will have to be waxed again. If mineral spirits will not remove it, use polishing compound and rewax.
Paint thinner or other spirits can and DO effect finishes. They can soften the finish, and if there is a small chip in the finish work under the paint to lift it off. Depending on the age of the finish, clear coat or no clear coat, and type of spirt used. Never a wise choice for people not in the paint finishing trade to attempt to remove tar or other defects on paint. Only use tar removers for that one purpose and do not let it dwell long after the tar has been removed.

Yes, some polishes and sealants contain spirts such as Naptha in the product, but it's in a very limited amount, and strength and type (grade) used. Look at a MSDS and you'll see it listed.

It depends on how long you let them dwell on the finish. The shorter the better.

Most novice users are much better off in using clay or other methods.

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: Help .. ! How do I remove DOT paint ..?