Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The State of Ipod's and the 997?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:56 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts
Default The State of Ipod's and the 997?

Just did a search and didn't find much.

What are the current "working" options for integrating Ipods into the 997? To me, FM modulated or broadcast options are not worth considering. Could we possibly make this a stickie since it is a pretty frequently addressed issue? A FAQ perhaps?

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:45 PM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My recollection is there are two avialable options: Nav-TV and http://www.neocaraudio.com/company.php (which might be a renamed Nav-TV unit). A third option is the Denison product. I'm not sure what its current status is but I'm willing to bet it'll go something like "testing has gone great....should be available in a couple weeks."
Old 12-26-2006, 11:51 PM
ahs911cab
Intermediate

I have been using the Nav-tv for a few months. It has a few glitches, but it works well. I am pleased with the unit and it works now!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:15 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I stumbled across this the other day. Don't know anything about it. I fired off an email request for more info on integration with the 997. Will post if I get anything from them.

http://2point5.com/
Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Still waiting on the Dension unit from Eric the Plug Guy....
Old 12-27-2006, 03:09 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Went by my local dealer today (Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills, CA). They had a little advert showing what looked like the Nav-TV setup. I asked about it and they told me $1500 installed; Don't know who makes it". Nice. (rolls eyes)
Old 12-27-2006, 11:41 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I've given up on alternate forms of audio in the 997. I still haven't found a no slam-dunk solution for satellite radio or iPod. I would love it if someone could prove me wrong.

PCM can read mp3 discs, which is not a half-bad solution provided that one has the patience to organize and burn discs. Almost all the music I've bought in the past couple years is from iTunes, and while DRM strippers are cumbersome, I don't know of any other way to store and play music en masse on this car.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:41 AM
icruze
Racer

[QUOTE= I asked about it and they told me $1500 installed; Don't know who makes it". Nice. (rolls eyes)[/QUOTE]

That's insane. Should be half that price.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:14 PM
msh26
Instructor

Default Sirius in PCM

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I've given up on alternate forms of audio in the 997. I still haven't found a no slam-dunk solution for satellite radio or iPod. I would love it if someone could prove me wrong.
I have the Cayenne Sirius unit in in 987S with PCM and it really doesn't get more seamless than that. It's a little pricey, but it intergrates so nicely and is OEM (for Cayennes).

Mike - Seattle
Old 12-27-2006, 01:26 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Using the PCM to play MP3 is the best way to go. Intergrating a IPOD is just way too cumbersom. The P-car interior have no space to place it, Unless you are driving the Cayenne. Burning a MP3 disc can bring you 7 to 8 hours of continous play. IMHO, Porsche created a nice interface within the PCM to accomadate the MP3 playing. IPOD is the in-thing. BUt keeping the P-car interior as original as possible is more important. IMHO
Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

I did a very simple setup in my EVO. Ipod adapter off an Alpine head unit. Ipod wire tail to the glovebox. There is NO reason why someone shouldn't shouldn't be able to integrate this seamlessly into the PCM environment.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:57 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I did a very simple setup in my EVO. Ipod adapter off an Alpine head unit. Ipod wire tail to the glovebox. There is NO reason why someone shouldn't shouldn't be able to integrate this seamlessly into the PCM environment.
I hereby nominate Chris F to "integrate this seamlessly into the PCM environment."

Look at the Cayenne board; those guys get into electrical engineering shouting matches over the intricacies of PCM and getting it to play nice with iPods. It's MUCH easier said than done.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I hereby nominate Chris F to "integrate this seamlessly into the PCM environment."

Look at the Cayenne board; those guys get into electrical engineering shouting matches over the intricacies of PCM and getting it to play nice with iPods. It's MUCH easier said than done.
Shouting matches?
Remember, some of those guys actually designed that stuff...no names please.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:30 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Okay, maybe not "shouting matches." How about "spirited discussions?"

But no seriously, you guys seem to know PCM better than even the factory; whenever I read a couple posts on the topics of PCM/iPod/radio/trailer, my head starts to spin. What can I say, I was a liberal arts major.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Its great that this much discussion goes into something standard on cheap Chevys. Now there are rumors we may get satellite radio with the face lift. (How long has Sirius been around--how much longer will it be around?) How about Porsche getting proactive and adding HD radio instead?

Can you get either satellite or HD radio outside the US/Canada markets?

Quick Reply: The State of Ipod's and the 997?