Sponsored by:

Info on changes to 2008 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on - all you guys need to upgrade to the latest 997, creating a glut of the older cars and driving the price down - so I can buy one cheap!

Seriously, 15hp + 10% better fuel economy? Usually you have to give up one to get the other. Sounds good to me. And at 370hp you're getting close to 993/996 twin turbo territory. I know - you can never have enough hp. But I'd call it adequate.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Coleman
Come on - all you guys need to upgrade to the latest 997, creating a glut of the older cars and driving the price down - so I can buy one cheap!

Seriously, 15hp + 10% better fuel economy? Usually you have to give up one to get the other. Sounds good to me. And at 370hp you're getting close to 993/996 twin turbo territory. I know - you can never have enough hp. But I'd call it adequate.

Im with ^
Old 12-27-2006, 11:43 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Will the 6-speed guys view the DSG guys with the same disdain as they do the Tip guys? My guess is yes.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stumil
Will the 6-speed guys view the DSG guys with the same disdain as they do the Tip guys? My guess is yes.
Interesting question. You could argue that the Tiptronic is inferior to a 6sp, although in a 997tt it actually produces a quicker 0-60 time. But the DSG is technologically a better way to shift gears.

I guess it depends on how much of a purist you are. If you consider a 356 the only true Porsche, I imagine you're not going to like the DSG much either. I still prefer a car with 3 pedals, but I'm trying to keep an open mind in this case.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Coleman
Interesting question. You could argue that the Tiptronic is inferior to a 6sp, although in a 997tt it actually produces a quicker 0-60 time. But the DSG is technologically a better way to shift gears.

I guess it depends on how much of a purist you are. If you consider a 356 the only true Porsche, I imagine you're not going to like the DSG much either. I still prefer a car with 3 pedals, but I'm trying to keep an open mind in this case.
Very good point! Here is another way to look at it:
These are "performance cars" . More "performance" = better car. The DSG is the next level and Transmission Performance. So, if DSG= better performance=better car. Sounds simple in theory, but it all comes down to how it really feels.

I was totally aware that if I paid an extra $1075 for DSG I would have had the quickest shifting tranny for a street car. I did not go for it because I love the feel of a manual. Ok enough
Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opted for the NASA Rocket Motor PKG

Option Code: WIK'DFAST

For my 07 C2.

Hopefully it'll be worth it for an option that I can only use ONCE for a mere $ 1,356,888.03.

We'll see.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:15 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

More hp is always better imho. However, just last night, as we were driving the C2S to dinner, I remarked how great 355 hp works in everyday situations. It has great power. That said, it is so hard to use the 355 hp without getting into serious trouble (with Johhny Law), I just don't know if I need/want more.

Besides, I've only had the C2S since June. I'm not ready to trade yet.......well maybe for a tt.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:43 PM
ds2k1
Racer

As the owner of a base C2, the 325hp it offers seems pretty strong. It's not going to beat a Z06 in a straight line, but that's not what purchasers of this car are looking for - otherwise, just buy the Z06 for the same price. This car can get me in more trouble than I currently know what to do with - I need to go to a good driving school/attend a few PDE's before I'll know how to appropriately handle what this car offers: it is simply created to satisfy better drivers than me. With that said, I agree that more is better. If they want to add more hp to the engine, you won't find me complaining. I didn't get the S for two reasons: cost and, as a rationalization, wanting something to aspire to. But obviously, if someone wanted to give me the S for no extra cost, I would take it. Seems hard to imagine that anyone, if offered more hp for no extra $$$, would complain. Do I think Porsche NEEDS to offer more to satisfy their customers? For me, the answer is currently "no". But when I look to replace my current car in a few years, I will certainly expect more hp than 325. To keep up with the Jones', I think the base should be where the S is and the S should offer what you get with the X51 package, if not a bit more. That seems like the logical next step and, as a consumer, what I'd expect.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Wonder what the X51 will bring in 08?

Quick Reply: Info on changes to 2008 997