Info on changes to 2008 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:23 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich@newcountry
I think what he meant was that the newer Cayenne V6 and V8s have the direct injection but are in a V design.
OK - that would make more sense and make me the idot...
Old 12-26-2006, 02:29 PM

15 hp increase sounds about right and is similar to what I reported sometime ago. It is interesting to note the article says the S will have at least 370 hp. I did not see any mention of an increase in torque; do direct injection engines offer any advantage in torque?
Old 12-26-2006, 02:38 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

again - its not fact - just a rumor..porsche has not announced this
Old 12-26-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by robbonds
Well aware of this...thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 03:00 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
Agree 100%, a rumor is just that.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
I used to have an Audi TT 3.2 with DSG...there was one major problem with it... a noticeable split second lag when accelerating from standstill...They needed to sort the lag issue out. I am sure they have done it...
As the owner of both a Tiptronic (our 987S) and a new DSG (Audi A3), I would be very excited if Porsche offered the DSG. It's a far superior "automatic" in every way.
The "split-second lag" described by Haku is not present in the newer-generation DSG units.
Also, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for Porsche to offer both the Tiptronic and DSG transmissions. I'd imagine when they make the DSG part of the option list, the Tiptronic will be quietly retired. Anyone who drove both transmissions back-to-back would opt for the DSG.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
OK - that would make more sense and make me the idot...
No need for name calling. Your reply shows that you are an inteligent person. You def Rock!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Rich,

Has anything come through your dealership on the planned changes for 2008? We've seen the spy photos showing the new front and rear bumpers, we've seen the new LED tail lamps, and we've all ready various consistent reports on a performance increase and DSG. It would be very nice to put these rumors to bed.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by RonCT
Rich,

Has anything come through your dealership on the planned changes for 2008? We've seen the spy photos showing the new front and rear bumpers, we've seen the new LED tail lamps, and we've all ready various consistent reports on a performance increase and DSG. It would be very nice to put these rumors to bed.
I know you addressed this to Rich and I look forward to his response but it seems the dealers are always the last to officially know about any changes and I guess it makes sense for them not to know too much in advance about any upcoming styling changes . As previously mentioned, the 996 line had a mild facelift and mild power up-grade after 4 years of production so it's very possible this will be the case for the 997. This also may mean that two years following the 08MY a new 911 (998 ?)may emerge; my lease is up in late 2009 so the timing may be just right. From what I've seen and read I'd welcome the proposed changes and wish my car would have had them.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

If the past is any indication, the Porsche dealers will know the specifics of any 2008 model year changes to the 997 just shortly before customers can actually place orders for them...in other words, we'll all know what the '08s will have well before the dealers do, thanks to the internet.

I'd bet the proposed changes we've been reading about (front bumper evolution, direct injection, DSG trans, LED tail-lights) are beyond the "rumor" stage already. All these possible changes sound very logical as Porsche continues to "evolve" the 911. When you think about it, it's pretty amazing what this car has become over the last 40+ years.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Rich.
Instructor

^ what he said is so right. When I was at VW, I was always the first to know about something b4 all of my managers, area execs, the owner, and area reps. The company plans their release of info strategicly. If there were to be official info about the "newer" versions coming out right this minute, dealers would have a hard time getting rid of their out dated inventory. Rumors and "he said, she said" dont hold weight when it comes to used car appraisals and new car pricing. That being said, let dont worry about rumors and preliminary info leaking because it does not hold water. When the time is right Porsche will release all the info a person could want on the newest and badest thing.

One of the main reasons I am here, is to be in the "know" b4 other non-enthusiat stealership employees. wish me luck.

Originally Posted by RonCT
Rich,

Old 12-27-2006, 02:08 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

DSG is VERY exciting - but who wishes to go with the Gen 1 model?

Gen 1 Ceramic Brakes ring any bells?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:27 AM
jfabes
5th Gear

some say its a rumor, but it certainly isn't unbelievable. if the tt can jump from 415 to 480 and the gt3 from 381 to 415, why is it so hard to belive the s can jump from 355 to 370. in fact, i'll go so far as to say that with wording like "at least 370" its possible that the s may i fact be bumped to 381 and the non s to 355 with a slight bump in base.

with cars like the new v8 m3 and the v10 m5/m6, the skyline gt and the like...even though they may not all be in direct competition with the 997, you have to admit, 325-350hp just isn't that much anymore. granted, the 997 has weight as its advantage and doesn't need as much power as the others, but still...

its battle of the hp wars fellas....you may not like to admit to it if you just bought a 997, but its the reality of competition and technology. and to say stuff like "15hp, so what, not worth upgrading my 07 997" well, i agree and that may be true for some. but others will spend $5-$7k on exhaust, intake and software to get that 15hp, or be like me and just wait until next year to order
Old 12-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Rich.
Instructor

DSG is amazing, at least the DSG available on the VW models is amazing. I drove an Audi TT 3.2 with DSG and it wasnt the same as the VW shifting. It was not as crisp and there was more delay in shift time with the Audi system. This could just be my imagination but if they get the crisp feeling of the VW GTI/GLI DSG shift then we have something here of interest.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i think no one should buy a 997 - everyone should just wait for dsg and a bump in hp....keep driving whatever you are driving

Quick Reply: Info on changes to 2008 997