Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd '05 C2S Price Check

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Don't sweat it, Chris. There's still something fishy there...why didn't he take it to the dealer and take $70k in the first place instead of advertising it? Obviously a two year old car with 400 miles is somewhat suspicious, and he should be willing to accomodate you...$70-75k is a lot of money to spend on a car. Besides, if taking it to a dealer for a PPI is too much trouble for him, he probably never had it serviced, either...you don't want to buy a car from somebody like that, even if it does only have 400 miles on it. There are plenty of used 997s out there with less than 10k miles; over time that difference will be insignificant.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:14 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris: The first Porsche I bought two years ago; I figured "if the factory was backing the car 4/48k" - that was a de facto pre-buy inspection. I bought this - visually perfect, 15k, Boxster-S in CT.. at a Chevy dealer no less.

Then, took it to my P-dealer, and for about $100., they did a 'Certification Inspection' (with a printed report)...without the extended warranty. This way; we both knew what to expect. I had to replace a battery in the remote key.

Myself: I'd still have passed on a car with no miles ..as dreamy as a car with no farts in the seats sounds. In court I'm willing P could easily argue neglect if the car started to consume itself.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Mineral
Intermediate

Chris:

I agree. There was too much weird with this car and the owner to take it sight unseen. Maybe he sold it to Carlsen and you lost out on a too-good-to-be true deal...and maybe there's more weirdness going on with it even now. Who knows? But as the others on this board pointed out, it seemed like a somewhat risky deal when you found it. And nothing that's happened since seems to have lowered the risk. You acted perfectly reasonably in trying to secure a PPI before you bought it, and the owner responded in a somewhat unreasonable way. No need to kick yourself.

I "lost" several cars when I was looking and initially kicked myself for being too hesitant or too picky. But eventually another car always comes along, and I ended up getting a better car at a better price than any of those I felt bad about passing up at the time.

There are more than one fish in the sea, and more than one Porsche on Autotrader. Good luck
Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

Thanks guys. I have my fingers crossed for one by xmas.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

See if Carlsen will flip it to you for a quick profit at the price you offered the quirky seller. These cars don't exactly blow off the lot, so they might jump at a quick $4K profit.

The only other thing to consider (in the future) is having a Rennlister check out the car for you. At that mileage I would mainly just be looking for body work - most times that's easily seen by the enthusiast eye or with a paint gauge,
Old 12-06-2006, 06:37 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

I've tried enlisting the help of local Rennlisters when I've found cars. With a the exception of 2 generous offers, every time I've posted in the regional forums asking for help, my threads have been ignored. It's not people's duty to check out cars for me, but I was hoping for a little better response.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:40 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

For those who encouraged patience, it paid off last night. I found a new listing for a triple black C2S Cab with 12k miles in LA. Called and negotiated the deal this AM. Flying back home and taking possession next weekend.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Mineral
Intermediate

That's great news, Chris. 3xBlack looks great on the cab -- really class imho...Naturally, we'll expect pictures a week from Monday at the latest!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul523
That car should probably sell for at most $75K with the low miles, if it had 10K miles maybe a couple $K less.

I would request the overrev readout if you're serious, make sure the 400 miles weren't demo hellrides.
No way. I can get a new 06 Carrera S that stickers for 93k for 83k and maybe even less than that. And it would have 4 years of warranty. My thought is 65k would be a fair deal.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:00 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mineral
That's great news, Chris. 3xBlack looks great on the cab -- really class imho...Naturally, we'll expect pictures a week from Monday at the latest!
Assuming the PPI goes as planned on Weds, I'll pick her up on Saturday with pictures following that night!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:29 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Congrats Chris, good luck with the sale.

Quick Reply: Odd '05 C2S Price Check