Sponsored by:

Odd '05 C2S Price Check

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Queram
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Overrev means sending the motor past redline when downshifting into too low of a gear.
I wrote this as a reply to Paul523s post. I did not use the term to imply downshifting into a too low of a gear. Rather I took it as going above the break-in rpm since too many here are very sensitive about the break-in period. I would not really want to lead anybody wrong.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Carfax is clean and shows nothing other than purchase in 4/05.
If I had a car and it was brand new and had some damage (let's say 8k worth) I would pay to have it fixed myself before having the insurance company pay for it and then it following the car forever...

CarFax is great for totaled or flood damaged cars but other than that you have got to go with your gut.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

Good point. I see it as just one of many tools in protecting yourself from unscrupulous sellers.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris - IF you are asking my opinion it sounds like a good deal since you already claim the owner seems to have more money then sense (cents)...

I would go for it if I were you after a good inspection from a local Porsche dealer!!!

Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
If I had a car and it was brand new and had some damage (let's say 8k worth) I would pay to have it fixed myself before having the insurance company pay for it and then it following the car forever...

CarFax is great for totaled or flood damaged cars but other than that you have got to go with your gut.
This may vary from state to state, but as I understand it CARFAX gets their info from government agencies, not insurance companies.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFScheck
...CarFax is great for totaled or flood damaged cars but other than that you have got to go with your gut.
Right on. The PPI is a must, of course... and as far as the intangible gut feeling aspect, it's been my experience with private party original owner cars that just pulling up to their house to look at the car, & talking to the owner face to face will cinch the deal in one direction or the other. Go drive the thing asap-- before someone else here beats you to it!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:14 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Owner is a bit of an odd duck. Have to kind of coddle him in case it's the genuine article. He's scared to death of any other dealers he claims because the car is flawless and has heard horror stories about dings and scratches. Trying to make him feel comfortable about taking it in because obviously no PPI - no deal. Lots of warning signs, but I trust my gut and it tells me this guy is honest; just eccentric.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Update: The owner called his contact at Carlsen Porsche to see if he could help arrange a PPI on the car. Salesman turned around and offered him $70K for the car and he's accepting it. Said it wasn't worth the trouble to get the car inspected for the extra couple of thousand. Unbelievable.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
andre5
Instructor

Bummer! But just remember, if the deal didn't happen, then it wasn't meant to be. There are still plenty of other P-cars out there to choose from.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:14 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

I know. That's what I told myself. Then choice number 2 has a "sale pending" note on the website. Uhg! Been looking 3 months. What's a couple more.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:31 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's all karma - the right car is out there waiting for you - and soon you two will be united!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Seal
Advanced

That was not very nice of Carlsen Porsche.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I know some of you may flame me but everytime I hear someone say "If it wasn't meant to be ...." I cringe.

It was an awesome deal, and poised with the notion of having to 'act like a car salesman' he was quickly turned off and turned onto just selling it a dealer who's going to mark it up.

I'm not trying to push salt in the wounds, but it was a 400 mile, fully warrantied car my friend. The instances that PCNA doesn't cover something is the exception, not the rule. We push things through for warranty work here at our dealership all the time; just takes a few phone calls with our marketing rep and our service rep.

example: We just had a client who traded in a car and bought another, and he's getting a check back from PCNA for his troubles with the other. It took about a week, but we got it done. And he got out of his car and into a new one with minimal inury to the wallet.

This wasn't the 1st nor will it be the last case going to bat for our clients and Porsche doing the right thing.

My suggestion: Next time you stumble upon a really great deal, buy it, drive it and post the pictures of your new baby.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

likemystoppie: Not sure what else I can do different other than agree to the asking price, ask the owner to arrange a PPI and fly in with a cashiers check. That's what offered to do. Didn't seem to work. Getting a PPI done seemed to be too much trouble for the owner.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by ChrisF
likemystoppie: Not sure what else I can do different other than agree to the asking price, ask the owner to arrange a PPI and fly in with a cashiers check. That's what offered to do. Didn't seem to work. Getting a PPI done seemed to be too much trouble for the owner.
No, I understand. I do. I'd ask the same, seriously.

I think maybe my observation is a little asku due to all the comments on the forum- and it's all great- one of the many MANY reasons I love the Porsche world: The Owners. They are truely one of the remarkable bunch of passionate enthusiast out there. love it!!

I'm just saying, that at the end of the day- something sooo good sometimes....is just that. Soo Good! I would have jumped on a plane for a car like that one.

More then likely the conversation was the sales guy telling the seller "you don't want to be a car salesman- let us take it off your hands for you".

Shoot, I do that all the time, most people don't want to hassle with selling their own cars. And possibly, they're surfing the forums too, and see your interest in the car.

Quick Reply: Odd '05 C2S Price Check