Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New one on the 4200 RPM "Breakin Period"...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
BK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New one on the 4200 RPM "Breakin Period"...

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this.

I picked up my C2S cab on saturday and during the obligatory "run through" of the cars features, my sales guy said something to the effect of the following: The enigine is completely broken in at the factory, but we ask you to keep the rpm's under 4200 for the first 2000 miles so that you can learn how to handle your car."

This is the first time I've been given that particular explanation.

BK

BTW: My dealer and sales guy were excellent to work!

Here are some hastily taken shots in my messy garage!
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

Never heard that, but it is pretty good advise.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That same explanation was found in Autoweek several months ago. Porsche is siding on conservatism with these cars because, quite honestly, they can be a handful. Not only must all the parts break in together, but the driver needs to learn the quirks of the car. When I picked mine up in Europe I had not been over 125 mph in several years, and I took the time to break myself into the car. Within 3 weeks I had the car buried well into 5th gear on the autobahns,--and felt confident doing it.

Just how many hours do you think these Bozos have in their Enzos when they trash them? These are terribly capable automobiles, but along with that comes a certain degree of zero tolerance. I think the advise is sound from your dealership.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,080 Posts

You wouldn't try anything really fancy on a first date, would you? Strike that. What I mean is, "you wouldn't try anything really fancy on a first date and expect the relationship to last, would you?" I think of car in this way. That being said, when I choose rental car, I get right on it. But it took some time in my own car before I started pushing it hard on the street...

Congrats on the purchase - it is beautiful
Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I always thought the break in rules in the manual were for the driver and not the car. Also, some CYA by the Porsche legal folks so that when some bozo wrecks the car in the first few days they can't sue Porsche with the excuse that nobody warned them the car was dangerous until you got used to it.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrpc12
I always thought the break in rules in the manual were for the driver and not the car. Also, some CYA by the Porsche legal folks so that when some bozo wrecks the car in the first few days they can't sue Porsche with the excuse that nobody warned them the car was dangerous until you got used to it.
Yes, it seems to me that Porsche wants the break-in for the driver...
Old 12-04-2006, 09:56 PM
BK
Advanced

Yea, I thought it was good advice. This was just the first time I've ever had a salesman offer it. On my previous cars it was always offered as a break-in period for the engine. Oh, and to correct a mistake in the first post, the dealer and sales guy were excellent to work WITH, not just work, lol!

BK
Old 12-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

It used to be part of Porsche's marketing (back in the 1970s) that each car was road tested for 12-14 miles at the factory prior to delivery. This thought has carried to present; many incorrectly believe Porsches are completely broken in at delivery. I'm sure motors are spot-checked for output, but every single one? From V6 Cayenne to Carrera GT? I doubt it.

Even if the motors are all run in, the brakes, transmission, diff, tires, etc. need to be broken in. The debate on how and for how long is never-ending.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm sure motors are spot-checked for output, but every single one? From V6 Cayenne to Carrera GT? I doubt it.
No, every PAG/Zuffenhasuen motor is assembled, filled with fluids, wheeled into a dyno cell, warmed up, then run into the rev limiter, then checked for max HP; if 2% out of spec, the motor is torn down and the cycle repeats. It's a lot of fun to watch.
I don't believe this is the case with the Cayenne V6, as it's just an Audi engine with Porsche designed intake runners and it arrives at Leipzig already assembled.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
No, every PAG/Zuffenhasuen motor is assembled, filled with fluids, wheeled into a dyno cell, warmed up, then run into the rev limiter, then checked for max HP; if 2% out of spec, the motor is torn down and the cycle repeats. It's a lot of fun to watch.
I don't believe this is the case with the Cayenne V6, as it's just an Audi engine with Porsche designed intake runners and it arrives at Leipzig already assembled.
But are these engines actually broken-in at the factory? I've heard conflicting information on this one...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:59 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BK
Just wondering if anyone else has heard this.

I picked up my C2S cab on saturday and during the obligatory "run through" of the cars features, my sales guy said something to the effect of the following: The enigine is completely broken in at the factory, but we ask you to keep the rpm's under 4200 for the first 2000 miles so that you can learn how to handle your car."

This is the first time I've been given that particular explanation.

BK

BTW: My dealer and sales guy were excellent to work!

Here are some hastily taken shots in my messy garage!
what color is that?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:30 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

As to the 2,000 mile period. I have broken in 5 new engines since 1998 and burned a quart or so of oil on all 5 in the begining and then they quit.......Why that, if the engine is completely broken in at the factory?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:51 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
But are these engines actually broken-in at the factory? I've heard conflicting information on this one...

evry engine is run in at the factory, even replacment reman engines have been strapped to a dyno and run. When we get replacment engines they have already been ran.

"As to the 2,000 mile period. I have broken in 5 new engines since 1998 and burned a quart or so of oil on all 5 in the begining and then they quit.......Why that, if the engine is completely broken in at the factory?"

broken in and worn in are 2 diffrent things,
Old 12-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
...broken in and worn in are 2 different things...
This might be exactly why there is so much conflicting information, since people are using a singular definition to describe 2 different events.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

Another 'rumor' is that when they run the engine on the dyno at the factory, they also 'flush' the engine with 100 litres of oil. Perhaps one of the reasons why they do not encourage oil changes in the 1st 1-2000 miles as the engine has been 'cleaned' of the metallic fragments than can occur during breakin.

Quick Reply: New one on the 4200 RPM "Breakin Period"...