Sponsored by:

Why is awd such a "hot" topic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is awd such a "hot" topic?

"Should I go S or 4S?" is a sure fire 2-page hot topic on most forums, yet I can never get my head around why it's so important in a sports car. If it's so important why do Aston Martin's, BMW's M-Series, the Corvette, Ferrari's, Maserati's, M-B AMG's, etc., NOT have awd?

You're looking at cars that are highly regarded and succesful in the sports car world yet I don't get the sense that owners and would be owners are clamouring for awd, so why do 911 owners and would be owners debate this topic so much and with so much fervor?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ah, c'mon Chef. You CANNOT be serious here, right?

For a quick answer, ask yourself if those cars you just cited are rear engine jobbies.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm going to guess that much of the 'drive' for AWD is from owners who use their cars in year round conditions. I notice that you have an Audi All-Road as well and that you most likely drive that in Chicago when it's nasty out.
My 4S is my daily driver. I count on it to get me to work very early in the morning regardless of weather. While my wife has a Subaru Forrester which could probably drive through 10 feet of snow, I can't count on using her car when I would need to.
Besides, I look at my 4S like a training bra before I get my turbo (ahhhh,....one day,....one day).
There are also a few 'other' high end AWD sports cars such as the Gallardo and then of course there are the WRX and Evo folks who swear by their cars!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:13 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

AWD in a sports car is like having training wheels. It allows more people to drive the car safely (so they claim) and therefore creates more sales. It also allows novice drivers to get around a track faster than their skills in a true 2WD sports car would allow. I believe that some tracks are planning on installing rails on their tracks to allow for even faster times with even less driving skills.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:21 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch!!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

When you take a look at new (to Porsche) 911 buyers most are probably a little hesitant about the 911 in 2WD form because of the losing the tail horror stories. As a result, they recognize their driving limitations and go with the conservative approach,--4WD. The traditionalists and earlier 911 drivers, most likely, with little exception, choose the 2WD.

We're quite fortunate to even have the choice. The other sports cars you cite are mostly front mid engine or rear-midengine designs and as such are a lot more forgiving. The 911 used to be quite the beast, but no longer, with massive rear tires and PSM,--and the PDE,--Porsche Driving Experience,--to get owners oriented more quickly.

I personally appreciate the different feel in the 2WD from the AWD, and save weight and volume in the trunk.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:34 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JMAGOLAN
Ouch!!
Those comments should not be interpreted that an AWD car is not fun to drive and not a great performer and for safety on the street. I simply have a problem with so many people claiming that they are terrific trackers, yet are driving one of them. Most of them couldn't get around the track without the training wheels...and the PMS.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:43 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
If it's so important why do Aston Martin's, BMW's M-Series, the Corvette, Ferrari's, Maserati's, M-B AMG's, etc., NOT have awd?
Those guys are chicken. Porsche won the Paris Dakar Rally on their first attempt in a AWD 911 with the 959 and now they're sure they'll fail.

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
AWD in a sports car is like having training wheels. It allows more people to drive the car safely (so they claim) and therefore creates more sales. It also allows novice drivers to get around a track faster than their skills in a true 2WD sports car would allow. I believe that some tracks are planning on installing rails on their tracks to allow for even faster times with even less driving skills.
Bombastic hyperbole! I love it!

The stuff in the quote is true... also little known, but on the same lines, is that the X51 power kit is like having a baseball card in your spokes. Sama sama.

AWD has ONE major purpose... to sell TWICE as many replacement tires.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Those comments should not be interpreted that an AWD car is not fun to drive and not a great performer and for safety on the street. I simply have a problem with so many people claiming that they are terrific trackers, yet are driving one of them. Most of them couldn't get around the track without the training wheels...and the PMS.
I think broad commentaries like this are a bunch of crap.
Are ABS brakes for wimps and not for purists?
What about all those little electronic goodies that control modern day 911s to make them safer AND faster? Even with PSM off the car is designed to make it both safe and fast.
I realize there are folks who will always prefer to drive a RWD air-cooled raw 911, and that's just fine with me....I really have no problem with that.
Personally I like having all the electronic bells and whistles in my car - anything that allows me to drive faster AND safer at the same time can only be regarded as a good thing.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:11 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to have the choice, but AWD is the major sticking point for me in getting a 997. I was excited that Porsche decided to make a 997 Targa, but disappointed when I found out it would only be available in AWD. The other unavailable car on my list of desired Porsches would like a 3.8 l Cayman S with a limited slip differential, but I can't have that either.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:27 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Coochas
I think broad commentaries like this are a bunch of crap.
Are ABS brakes for wimps and not for purists?
What about all those little electronic goodies that control modern day 911s to make them safer AND faster? Even with PSM off the car is designed to make it both safe and fast.
I realize there are folks who will always prefer to drive a RWD air-cooled raw 911, and that's just fine with me....I really have no problem with that.
Personally I like having all the electronic bells and whistles in my car - anything that allows me to drive faster AND safer at the same time can only be regarded as a good thing.
+1
Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
OCBen
Banned

psssst... notice how chef likes to throw a bone out for us to chew on and fight over?.....like his "girlie car" thread? .... while he apparently sits back to watch the fray?
whadaya say we drag him down in the muck with the rest of us, eh?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default OCBen Sucks

Originally Posted by OCBen
psssst... notice how chef likes to throw a bone out for us to chew on and fight over?.....like his "girlie car" thread? .... while he apparently sits back to watch the fray?
whadaya say we drag him down in the muck with the rest of us, eh?
There Ben I'm in the "fray" I think you must have had an extra helping of Wheaties to day, you're a little feisty!

I'm interested in this stuff partially because I have my own set of biases, and I'm not sure how much of a blind spot that creates, so opening it up makes for interesting debate.

I think in the case of awd it's because there's no clear cut answer that so much debate takes place: there's always a new and different way of saying principly the same thing. And each camp is convinced they have the better line of reasoning. It's to arguments what "Groundhog Day" is to movies.

Now Ben get back to being rude to someone else or get polishing or something!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Now Ben get back to being rude to someone else or get polishing or something!
LOL ... No, not being rude at all.

Just thought it was curious how you like to "stir things up" while "staying above the fray."

But you have good viewpoints that should be thrown into the mix.

Besides, you wouldn't want anyone to suspect that you're the manipulative type, would you?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

4>2, therefore a C4 is better. Duh.

Quick Reply: Why is awd such a "hot" topic?