Sponsored by:

Creaking noise from the rear window

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:47 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise from the rear window

My 2005 C2 has developed a very noticeable creaking noise apparantly coming from the driver side rear window. Does anyone have the same issue and any suggestions on what was done to resolve it.

Sincerely appreciate the response.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I've got creaking on both rear sides; haven't isolated it to the windows or inside panels. I mentioned it to the dealer last time it was in, and they were able to silence it for a couple days...but they're back, and very annoying.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 PM
abregov
Track Day

I had the same thing. Isolated it to the driver side rear window. The dealer said it was the glass rubbing against the metal body. They put in new rubber spacers around the glass window and the noise went right away. Tell your dealer about it, I do believe thier was a TSB from Porsche to the Dealers about the problem also, so my dealer seemed to be familiar with the problem.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

abregov, do you happen to have the paperwork? It should indicate if the repair was related to a TSB. If there is a TSB number referenced, it would be most helpful!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
abregov
Track Day

I will check my paperwork and post what I have.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,

I once sprayed water with a high pressure hose over the top of the rear window.
You can also push the window and watch it move. Looks
like very soft rubber holding the window in.

Paul
Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 AM
svinaik
Advanced

Update on fixes..

Tech confirmed that creaking noise from rear window/s is due to glass rubbing against the metal. Will be putting in new rubber spacers.

on the center dash noise, source was the center air vents.. seemed to be loose.. tech has put in new vent frame. Also, he has put some felt tape between the top dash and bottom piece. these fixes have solved all the noise problems.

rear window fixes are yet to be done and once completed, i will post the final resolution and result.

thanks to all responded..
Old 12-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

This has been an unfortunate bug on 911s for at least 3 generations now...they used to place silicon lubed cord in the channel underneath the glass and it helped but didn't eliminate the problem. At its worst it can be quite annoying - it sounds like newspapers being crumpled.

It seems to be worst in the winter months when hot sun hits the glass but the body is cold.

(Of course with a cab you likely can't hear it anyway!

Let us know if they've finally engineered a permanent fix!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:43 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I notice the creaks from the right rear window when I'm going in/out of the driveway. I pressed on it and the window is clearly not a tight fit compared to the left side. The center console creaks mostly when it's cold outside. All little annoyances, but nothing major at this point.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Queram
Instructor

I had the rear window creaking, they told me they just took the panel off and isolated the area that rubbed. I dont have it anymore. Mine did the creaking since it came from the factory. Unfortunaltely I think I will start to experience the center dash buzz.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Are all the complaints from coupe owners?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:57 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a buzzing noise coming from the rear passenger side of my coupe. I noticed it long ago, but in the period of time between then and when I do my first oil change, I'm slowly, but surely hunting it down so I can be specific to the service dept. It seems to be frequency related, as opposed to just being something that happens on a bumpy road. All in all, the panels, interior and exterior, of the 997 sure seem flimsy in comparison to those of the mighty type 993. But then I suppose that's progress, all in the name of performance and economy.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise from the rear window