Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: What makes a "girlie" car a "girlie" car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:45 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usage of the phrase "Girlie car" is an action that mental health professionals look for. In the manual for diagnosing various quality and quantity of mental illness, the DSM, that specific phrase indicates that the person using the phrase is an half bright follower of others; an insecure, self doubting, troubled emotional child who is not enjoying life because, among other things, they spend what little mental capabilities they possess on judging others while cowering in morbid fear of being judged and thusly found out to be panty waste.

My opinion is to buy what dunks your donut and chuckle at those sorry ***, insecure, nitwits who use phrases like, "Girlie car".
Old 11-27-2006, 03:52 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
...and chuckle at those sorry ***, insecure, nitwits who use phrases like, "Girlie car".
Ya ... let's see you toak that way in front of Ahnold.

Ya ... he'll crush you like a whimpy melon with his massive biceps and show you what a girlie man you really are.....ya.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Probably not a 'girly car' but........but I did see a new Targa for the 1st time in the flesh the other day.....and my 1st thought was, I really think it would be a nice ladies car
Old 11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a consumer behavior point of view, just remember that dubbing a car (or other products) as something “girlie”or “girlish” has neither to do with women actually preferring that car over others, nor with their general selection criteria to begin with.

IF “girlie cars” would be those cars that are produced in accordance with female preferences, it would simply mean that they would be strong along the lines of safety, ease of maintenance, agility, handling, ergovision, intelligent storage, low running costs, and fun to drive. Because these are the main selection criteria of women when it comes to choice of car.

However, that’s not how a “girlie car” becomes a “girlie car”. Rather, when someone describes a car as “girlish” or “gay”, I usually see an insecure loser who dismisses something on the basis of size, color, shape, or performance. Psychologically, it’s a belittlement approach: since they cannot shine, they dismiss others. Using derogatory terms usually just indicates a lack of self-confidence. That’s my experience anyway.

By the way, marketers have long had a hard time to develop and segment products along clearly defined gender lines, simply because what society has successfully drilled into our brains as ‘proper’ for women or men, respectively, just does not pan out in the marketplace that way in the form of preferences: colors, shapes, scents, textures, sizes, sounds... in terms of consumer choice, the dimensions and categories are not as “female vs. male” as simple minds would like us to think.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by OCBen
Ya ... let's see you toak that way in front of Ahnold.

Ya ... he'll crush you like a whimpy melon with his massive biceps and show you what a girlie man you really are.....ya.
Game on!

The "Arnold" you write of is not real of course. He is a character in a big money production titled, Arnold: Get their VOTES. This is the production where the producers make hundreds of millions of dollars via future yet life long "insider" connections to the hot deals... at little or no risk to their own wealth. It's a brilliant piece of work.

The script writer in the governor's head would pen the "Arnold" character ANY line as long as that line would build rapport with the half bright masses by using grunts and chest thumps that the masses recognize.

Remember the rapport building motto - People who like each other ARE like each other. Thus, if your voters are insecure nitwits, then act as if you're an insecure nitwit, too.

Simple, yet effective.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can we add this thread to 'stupid topics' ??

hahahaha!!!

Sorry, I know I 'shouldn't' make commentary like this, but what the heck. This thread is STUPID. LOL
Old 11-27-2006, 04:33 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

gheez! you guy are getting a little serious on a light topic.
just for clarification purposes to the serious "girlie car" guys,
my reply was entirely in jest even though it doesnt mention "girlie"
but i also don't see everyone referring to a car as "girlie" as an insecure loser!
can't believe jnarc & soulman taking this thread serious!?!?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:33 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
From a consumer behavior point of view, just remember that dubbing a car (or other products) as something “girlie”or “girlish” has neither to do with women actually preferring that car over others, nor with their general selection criteria to begin with.

IF “girlie cars” would be those cars that are produced in accordance with female preferences, it would simply mean that they would be strong along the lines of safety, ease of maintenance, agility, handling, ergovision, intelligent storage, low running costs, and fun to drive. Because these are the main selection criteria of women when it comes to choice of car.

However, that’s not how a “girlie car” becomes a “girlie car”. Rather, when someone describes a car as “girlish” or “gay”, I usually see an insecure loser who dismisses something on the basis of size, color, shape, or performance. Psychologically, it’s a belittlement approach: since they cannot shine, they dismiss others. Using derogatory terms usually just indicates a lack of self-confidence. That’s my experience anyway.

By the way, marketers have long had a hard time to develop and segment products along clearly defined gender lines, simply because what society has successfully drilled into our brains as ‘proper’ for women or men, respectively, just does not pan out in the marketplace that way in the form of preferences: colors, shapes, scents, textures, sizes, sounds... in terms of consumer choice, the dimensions and categories are not as “female vs. male” as simple minds would like us to think.
I am surprised you guys think so much about it, or take it that seriously.

I think that some cars have a more masculine "aura," while others have a more feminine "aura." I don't think that it says anything about the driver of the respective cars (or at least it doesn't need to say anything about the drivers).

I think my original contention that a "girlie" car is any car that "most" woman would say "How Cute" is spot on for separating the two.

I think most Porsches and many european sportscars are more feminine than masculine (except the recent M3s, for example, which seem masculine to me). They have the curves, delicateness and beauty that I personally love. By contrast, a GT Mustang is definitely masculine. I prefer the former over the latter. I mean, after all, I would prefer to be in a woman any day . . .

I owned a Boxster S. I don't care what anyone else thinks of the car. At least for the 996/986, the two cars are identical from the driver's seat forward, so I don't see how one can be girlie while the other is not. Who cares anyway?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:34 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by icon
says the single guy and fan of met-art
For me, BEING WEIRD IS NOT ENOUGH.

"Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way" is my motto.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:37 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

"Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way" is my motto.
thought that was ted turners?
a leader would make up his own
Old 11-27-2006, 04:38 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

gheez! you guy are getting a little serious on a light topic.
just for clarification purposes to the serious "girlie car" guys,
my reply was entirely in jest even thought it doesnt mention "girlie"
but i also don't see everyone referring to a car as "girlie" as an insecure loser!
can't believe jnarc & soulman taking this thread serious!?!?
You better NOT believe I'm taking this thread seriously! Let me let everyone in a little secret... when I'm serious I'm kidding, when I'm kidding I'm serious.

It's all bombastic hyperbole to keep myself amused until Yellow Freight gets here with the "box". The "box" is on the truck.

I like "box".
Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

thought that was ted turners?
a leader would make up his own
I told Ted the same thing! But he said, "I like yours... so I'm taking it".

Copy cat billionaires. So droll.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For me, BEING WEIRD IS NOT ENOUGH.
Yeah, Johnny, you're acting really weird.

What happened to the exploited young girls in your avatar, anyway?

What's that you've got now? Doesn't look like soft, pink flesh to me.

And what's that about a box? Is it soft, pink flesh?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:54 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yeah, Johnny, you're acting really weird.

What happened to the exploited young girls in your avatar, anyway?

What's that you've got now? Doesn't look like soft, pink flesh to me.
Oh Ben! No, no, no! They are adult WOMEN! Each God's own artwork, surpassed by no sun or moon, no view or vista, nor flora or fawna. Hail! Every man's Queen... and bow down to her power.

Lord no! Exploit? Never I say! Can the awed art lover "exploit" the canvas, or the paint, or the artist's own brilliant hand? NO! Female beauty, art, and music are all that we have to thicken our skin against "...the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune".

Besides, the Goddess I'm dating smacked me in the back of the head and told me to erase it all.

Oh cruel TYRANNY!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:55 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

so, the VW Golf Cab in white and VW Beetle in green aren't a chick mobile?

I don't know what makes a car a "girlie car" but I do notice more female drivers in certain cars than male drivers

Quick Reply: OT: What makes a "girlie" car a "girlie" car?