Sponsored by:

Painted Console

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:43 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Console

I really like the painted console Andy has onhis new Slate Grey C4S. I've been thining of sending mine to Bumper Plugs to have done. Has anyone done the istallation themselves? Is it a big fdeal? I don't live near a dealer so it would be great if I could do it myself.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, Eric provides instructions.
Rennlist member 'Wachuko' just did his 996TT, supplied by Eric:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=295374&page=3
Old 11-22-2006, 08:21 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had ordered an aluminum-look center console, actually a painted finish, which was inexplicably deleted by the factory. The dealer had his body shop paint my stock console for me. The only concern is allowing the paint to cure for a couple days before it is reinstalled, because it can chip easily. Cost was similar to the factory option.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:56 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stevewilm
I really like the painted console Andy has onhis new Slate Grey C4S. I've been thining of sending mine to Bumper Plugs to have done. Has anyone done the istallation themselves? Is it a big fdeal? I don't live near a dealer so it would be great if I could do it myself.
For DYI
Manual - 60 - 90 mins to uninstall and install.
Tip - About 3 hours
Old 05-26-2007, 07:29 PM
hjluvjj
Advanced

Originally Posted by THPorsche
For DYI
Manual - 60 - 90 mins to uninstall and install.
Tip - About 3 hours
Hello THPorsche,

I have ordered the center console and need to find out how to remove the current one. I have checked out the PDF file from the BMRacing, but didn't help that much since it only says "Unclip leather boot" in the very first step. How do I unclip it? Since it doesn't show where the clips are, I am not sure where to pull.

Is there some kind of picture shows where those clips are? I have spent the several hours looking this afternoon, but no luck finding it. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Heejin
Old 05-26-2007, 08:42 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my own install in about 90 minutes. Not the easiest thing in the world and took my time. I ended up using the instructions on the B&M site for the installation of the short shifter (you have to remove the console to install the SS). The B&M instructions are the ticket for a DIY job.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I just went thru all this a week ago.

I tried to do it myself but the shifter would not come off easily. Such a PIA to get off. I couldnt waste any more time with it so i had the dealer do it for me. There is also the "killer screw" that torx-20 screw which is also a PIA to get off. The B&M instructions are ok if you can get the **** of and have a tool to get to that annoying torx screw. There really should be a hole above that screw so you can get at it. I just have other things to do so off to the dealer i went. The cost was about $215 and it came out just fine. About 2hrs of labor.
It was not a cheap upgrade but i felt i was needed. The unpainted one looks cheap and is so plastic-looking. Unacceptable for a car like this. The leather one looks good too.

I got my seal grey console from Bumper Plugs, The way it works is Eric will send you a rear center console of the color of your choice, then you must send him your unpainted original console. You will have to give him a deposit of $300 which you will get back when he gets your console. SO you dont send yours to be painted.

Also there is a really good write up of this on the www.caymanclub.net website. It outlines in detail what is involved step by step for the cayman with good pics. It is similar for the 997 but not exactly the same. BUT, its a good read before you attempt to do it yourself. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:46 AM
hjluvjj
Advanced

Originally Posted by sharmat
I just went thru all this a week ago.

Also there is a really good write up of this on the www.caymanclub.net website. It outlines in detail what is involved step by step for the cayman with good pics. It is similar for the 997 but not exactly the same. BUT, its a good read before you attempt to do it yourself. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the great info regarding Cayman Club post. It does have detail info on how to remove the center console. I could have broke the horseshoe piece if I haven't read this article.

Cheers,
Heejin
Old 05-27-2007, 03:19 AM
hjluvjj
Advanced

Oh well... It's not easy as I was hoping

Now I have some parts removed, but still long way to go. I guess I will finish this up tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Steve - posts are correct. Order online, we send you the NEW one painted first! Then you send the old one back. And yes, full instructions comes with each console.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Swilliams97
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my console to put the short shifter in and I thought it was fairly easy using the instructions for the shifter. The hardest part is removing the shift ****. On my 03 996 is just pulls off. The recommended technique was to sit lightly on the console cover with both feet on either side of the shifter and pull the shifter **** up with both hands. It takes a lot of force to get it off so and comes off with a snap so be careful you dont hit yourself in the teeth with it!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:06 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Be careful when you pull the shifter **** off of the shifter. It will take a lot of force, and it will come loose suddenly. You can literally smack yourself in the face if this happens, so be very careful!

I took two screwdrivers and placed one on each side of the shifter shaft. The screwdrivers face in opposite directions so you can hold the handle of one screwdriver and the shaft of the other screwdriver in each hand. Put the screwdrivers under the shift **** collar.

Sit in the driver's seat and place your left forearm on your right knee. Grasp the left side of the two screwdrivers (already on each side of the shifter shaft) with your left hand, with your palm facing up. Next, grasp the right side of the screwdrivers with your right hand (also facing palm up). You can use your left knee as a fulcrum and pry the **** off. It may go flying straight up, but at least you won't knock your teeth out.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:09 PM
hjluvjj
Advanced

I FINALLY got the console out.

Thanks for the great advise from all of you. Now I have done my first DIY, I feel like million dollars

Hmm... what should I do for next DIY project? Any recommendation?

Cheers,
Heejin
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hjluvjj
I FINALLY got the console out.

Thanks for the great advise from all of you. Now I have done my first DIY, I feel like million dollars

Hmm... what should I do for next DIY project? Any recommendation?

Cheers,
Heejin
Taking it out is only half of a mod. What are you replacing it with?

... or are you going for the "Cup Car interior look" and not have a center console? Just kidding!

Now that you have the console out, why not install a short shifter?
Old 05-28-2007, 02:24 AM
hjluvjj
Advanced

Originally Posted by gota911
Taking it out is only half of a mod. What are you replacing it with?

... or are you going for the "Cup Car interior look" and not have a center console? Just kidding!

Now that you have the console out, why not install a short shifter?
Actually, I kind of like not having center console. Feels more like real racing car No wonder, there is "Euro Console Delete Option for GT3"

BTW, I already have sport shifter. It was one of the options I have chosen when I ordered my car.

Cheers,
Heejin

Quick Reply: Painted Console