Sponsored by:

Garage Floor - Race Deck Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 AM
MrClean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks fantastic!

I did the Rustoleum epoxy floor when the house was built. After two years, it still looks good but is wearing through in the areas where the hot tires come to rest. At this point, I plan to do some "maintenance" next spring, applying a little thicker next time since I used only 3 kits on an area that needed about 3 1/2 kits. I'm happy with the grey epoxy with color speckle-look.

For reference, I believe the kits were $50 each.
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2006, 12:28 AM
MrClean
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrClean
That looks fantastic!

I did the Rustoleum epoxy floor when the house was built. After two years, it still looks good but is wearing through in the areas where the hot tires come to rest. At this point, I plan to do some "maintenance" next spring, applying a little thicker next time since I used only 3 kits on an area that needed about 3 1/2 kits. I'm happy with the grey epoxy with color speckle-look.

For reference, I believe the kits were $50 each.
I will say that if you plan to wash your car in the garage like I do, get the anti-slip additive that they sell for the kit. This makes a huge difference! I did the car bays with the anti-slip and works great when wet. The area in the back of the garage, I did not use it and boy is it slick when wet!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:44 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome job leader….

I redone my garage 2 years ago, went with epoxy paint on the floor.
Wish I did the Race Deck like you…a winter DIY coming up
Old 11-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

That is tres cool Leader - it really looks neat. I was planning on doing the same thing and then I remembered that I share a garage with a dozen other people.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
yrthesneakerhead
1st Gear

Hi

Deck Tile provides a special look to your fine-looking residence.Your residency speaks about your standard and status, brand name reliable as well as good in design.If anyone needs more information then visit http://www.decktiledirect.com
Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I love the epoxy finish

I went with the Rustoleum epoxy as well. The key to longevity of the finish is all about the prep - taking two full days to do it right paid off. Etching with muriatic acid made the cement accept the epoxy very nicely. Using the little flakes makes the floor pretty grippy.

2 years now, and it looks like new.

I stayed away from RaceDeck, as two of the three bays in our garage get year-round traffic. Mud, dirt, salt and snow is much easier to clean from epoxy than Racedeck.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Race Deck was the perfect solution for my garage due to the deterioration of the concrete (effluorescence and spalling). Since it wasn't possible to use epoxy, the floating Race Deck floor improved the looks by 1000%, and can be removed to clean the surface every 2 or 3 years if necessary. Very durable product.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gundo
I went with the Rustoleum epoxy as well. The key to longevity of the finish is all about the prep - taking two full days to do it right paid off. Etching with muriatic acid made the cement accept the epoxy very nicely. Using the little flakes makes the floor pretty grippy.

2 years now, and it looks like new.

I stayed away from RaceDeck, as two of the three bays in our garage get year-round traffic. Mud, dirt, salt and snow is much easier to clean from epoxy than Racedeck.

Great looking car and floor.

What type / brand of wheels are on your P-Car?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We did Premier Garage a few years ago. My only concern now about it, is that it seems incredibly permanent - which was the general idea. But I'm just a bit tired now of the "grey fleck" finish. Oh well...if yo do that, really think about the long haul.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:47 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by icruze
New construction is perfect for epoxy. Your concrete contractor can prepare the garage floor to your specs. and will be clean to ensure adhesion.
Agreed, I did my house before I even moved in and it has been indestructable the past 2 years. So much easier to clean the floor now and looks outstanding.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:14 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Premier Garage FTW
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
If by chance water does get under it, you may want to grab a dehimidifier to see if that will assist in removing any that sits under it.

That is the primary reason I'm not installing a floating-grid like this.

When liquids get between and under the tiles, and they will: water, oil, coolant, a paint spill, what have you... then what. The inability to easily clean up under the tiles in the middle of the field are a concern for me.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 36 Posts

a word of caution for those considering racedeck (Ive had it in my garage for about 4 years now ) :I went with the black/white tiles for the "checkered flag" look and I will tell you that the white tiles get filthy very easily from tire marks , footprints , oil ,etc and it is extremely hard to get them clean , no matter what you use . other than that , it is definitely a worthwhile investment . also , as another post said , you may want to put some Pergo underlay under the tiles because mine have a plasticky "clack" sound when you walk on them ( i have gotten used to it though )
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My silver and black floor has been quite easy to keep clean. I sweep it weekly, and damp mop it or sponge it off a couple of times a year. Yes it has a clacky sound so something underneath as suggested above would be a good idea assuming any moisture doesn't hurt (any water that drips off the car such as from A/C or rain/washings will find its way under the tiles (they breathe).

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 03-07-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Leader-very cool. love the cars. attached is a pic of my garage
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Garage Floor - Race Deck Installed